UKC

Westway and congestion charge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jl 16 Jan 2007
From mid February the Westway will be in the congestion charge zone. Does anyone know of places to park off Wood Lane with a short walk to the wall to allow daytime access to Westway without paying the charge.

Jon

The journey would take twice as long using public transport.
Wingman 16 Jan 2007
In reply to jl:

may have the same problem (except that I normally cycle)

think you may have a problem - parking is pretty tight around
 Morgan Woods 16 Jan 2007
In reply to jl:

thought you were referring to the volume of people in the centre itself!
 zephr 16 Jan 2007
In reply to jl: dunno if it helps, but the day it comes in, the time that it stops is changed from 6:30pm to 6pm...
ok if youre an early evening climber I guess...
OP jl 16 Jan 2007
Bump for those who were too busy climbing at westway during the day time using their secret parking spaces...
 thetourist 18 Jan 2007
In reply to zephr:

I normally arrive at Westway between 17:45 and 18:30, after driving in from Reading (public transport is so expensive its not an option). Leaving Reading early helps miss the traffic, but now if I'm going to be forced to wait till 18:30 (I'm not paying to drive between the A40 and the wall) to get to the wall then I don't know if I'd be so keen to venture into London for an evenings climbing.

Unfortunately the Westway is one of the better walls to go to if you're based in the climbing free zone of Reading.

Cheers for letting us know jl.

tt
 jelaby 18 Jan 2007
In reply to thetourist:

As Zephyr says - the congestion charge will end at 6pm when the new area is added: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/cc-ex/index.shtml (second bullet point)
 Al Evans 18 Jan 2007
In reply to thetourist: Cant you just drive to a parking place outside the congestion zone but near a tube station and finish the journey on the tube?
 Alun 18 Jan 2007
In reply to Al Evans:
> Cant you just drive to a parking place outside the congestion zone but near a tube station and finish the journey on the tube?

Which, after all, is the whole point. The bad news, however, is that the Hammersmith and City line (which is the one you take for the Westway) only starts at Hammersmith, three stops away from the Westway stop. Parking in this area is possible, but whether it is cheaper than paying the charge, I don't know.
 Al Evans 18 Jan 2007
In reply to Alun: Don't know which way you come onto London, but what about parking somewhere like Sudbury, take the Piccadilly line to Hammersmith, its a bit of a pain because you have to cross the road to the Metro line but then as you say its only a three station hop to Latimer Road.
In reply to Al Evans:

The main reason Westway was so convenient is that if you live near the A40 (like I do) it's a breeze to drive to and the parking is easy. I won't bother to go there during the day any more; the congestion charge is too much hassle.
I keep hearing adverts that feature Craggy Island on the radio so maybe I'll give that a try.
beriberi 18 Jan 2007
In reply to Alison Stockwell:
you could park somewhere on harrow road - i'm fairly near westbourne park on the H&C line, and there's loads of parking around us - the congestion charge doesn't apply to our bit of harrow road, so parking restrictions may change, but try looking around ashmore road/elgin avenue for parking, then tubing down to latimer rd.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...