UKC

Cliffhanger on ITV 2 now

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Denni 22 Jan 2007
As title, great scenery, crap but I'm gonna watch it!
Den
 Simon 22 Jan 2007
In reply to outdoorbloke:

seconded!

Bugger all on anyhoo!!
OP Denni 22 Jan 2007
In reply to Simon:
Good man Simon!
not the worse film in the world, there is after all K2 and vertical limit...
 liz j 22 Jan 2007
I swear this film is on tv every month!!
OP Denni 22 Jan 2007
In reply to liz j:
Bad isn't it? yet I still watch the bloody thing!
Tried to sit through K2 the other day, oh my god..
nearly lost the will to live
 Simon 22 Jan 2007

Interesting fact that I didn't know - stunt doubles for Sly were Ron Kauk and Wolfgang Gullich!

Least he got the right chaps for the job!!

si
 Neil Conway 22 Jan 2007
In reply to Simon:

Didn't know that they could box.
Flaming_climber 23 Jan 2007
In reply to Neil Conway: One of the best bits is where he fires a bolt into the wall using a bolt gun. I need to get myself one of those guns. Anybody know where i can find one . And just think about the poor sods who spend ages hanging on a rope drilling a hole for hours just to place one piece of protection and sly can do it in a matter of seconds with that handy gun. One of the most accurate films i have seen where climbing is involved. I still ended up watching the bloody film. Why is it such a cliff hanger film
 John Wood 23 Jan 2007

Cliffhanger was a completely inaccurate representation of climbing. No rescuer would leave camp without his trusty cansister of nitroglycerin and he didn't even have a bottle of champagne! what would have happended if he'd contracted lassitude?
 Rob Exile Ward 23 Jan 2007
In reply to outdoorbloke: The plot was apparantly inspired by a drug dealers plane crashing in the Sierra Nevada in the middle of winter - only climbers were equipped and prepared to hike up and 'liberate' the contents. There was a dark side, too - stories of address books being found, and then the finders ending up dead. (It's in Lyn Hills autobiography.)

Shame Hollywood never thinks that the true stories are quite gripping enough.
O Mighty Tim 23 Jan 2007
In reply to John Wood: I personally think the Continuity Team contracted Lassitude...
Isn't it weird how the villains suddenly have cold weather gear, and climbing harnesses, when they were in a nice executive jet headed for the border?
Plus, wouldn't radar have warned the two aircraft about a possible mid air incident/near miss....?

But, I still like to watch it, for all it's awfulness!

8^(

TTG
 galpinos 23 Jan 2007
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

It's still fantastic B-movie rubbish though, very watchable. It's got all the necessary components:

Crap musclebound lead - Check
Unconvincing megalomaniac bad guy - Check (Who thought John Lithgow would be good as a bad guy)
Unrealistic over the top ridiculous action scenes - Check
Poor plot with laughable dialogue - Check

All you need is some random nudity and it would be perfect.
 Rob Exile Ward 23 Jan 2007
In reply to galpinos: I love the way that it doesn't even try to make sense internally - one minute they're scaling inaccesible peaks, the next minute they've found a 'deserted museum' on the top of a mountain with loads of functional climbing gear!

I have this image of the scriptwriters and crew having a few beers and saying 'F*ck 'em, nobody will notice anyway. More action!'
 schloosh 23 Jan 2007

Most of the climbing shots were filmed by David Breashears, in the Dolomites.
pwhiteside 23 Jan 2007
In reply to galpinos: Plus "Dan Sulliven" from Eastenders!
Yorkspud 23 Jan 2007
> (In reply to liz j)
> Bad isn't it? yet I still watch the bloody thing!

Yes, but I love it - I always seem to end up watching it. Hammy but fun and it has Maggie for Northern Exposure in it.

Tough on Pa Walton and the Basejump dude though.

OP Denni 23 Jan 2007
In reply to Yorkspud:
> (In reply to outdoorbloke)
> Tough on Pa Walton and the Basejump dude though.

Suppose someone has to bite the dust, Pa Walton is in a better place now..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...