UKC

Kayak question-?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Squirrel Bill 23 Jan 2007
I want a new boat.
Fed up of the pyranha S:8.

Been looking at the Liquid Logic Cross River.

Any good?

want something that will run rivers just as well as play.

Thanks
 Merlin 23 Jan 2007
In reply to Squirrel Bill: I was interested too, so I went and had a gander and sat in one.

I've got a riot and looking for an equal out fitting, but it seems that as far as seats go, riot is the dogs bollocks and nothings going to match it just yet.

Also looking for a more slicey boat and the CR didn't seem to fit this so Im not sure how easy it'll be to cartwheel. The guy in the shop (who was pretty up his own arse, as the majority of them are in kayaks and paddles in plymouth) said that you can cartwheel anything if your good enough!

But Im looking for something that I can use/train in on flatw*ter too. The front end had a lot of volume, and thats what Im having problems with in my riot inferno.

I think my next boat will either have to be a wavesport and sacrafice the seat, or get another riot with a flatter profile.
 willhunt 23 Jan 2007
In reply to Squirrel Bill: When I was really into my kayaking i really wanted a pyranha sub 7. I guess theyre pretty old hat by now.
OP Squirrel Bill 23 Jan 2007
In reply to willhunt: Indeed they are...plus pyranha boats are shit...they just break.

In reply to Merlin: I'm looking for somthing less slicy. Slicy is great for flat water, but as soon as you take it off a drop, you sink...pretty crap for running rivers really. I used to have a riot Disco, which was alot of fun and good for running rivers, but sadly I grew too big for it.
 woolsack 23 Jan 2007
In reply to willhunt: Not as old hat as a topolino, you'd need to be pretty skilled to cartwheel that
 Billy the fish 23 Jan 2007
In reply to woolsack:
> (In reply to willhunt) Not as old hat as a topolino, you'd need to be pretty skilled to cartwheel that

But if you were really hardcore, you'd have softened the plastic by pouring a kettle full of boiling water over it and squashing the ends in to scoop them.
 woolsack 23 Jan 2007
In reply to Billy the fish: I had a dead slalom boat for that, leaked like a sieve. If you have been paddling long enough you'd remember having to take a grp repair kit, duct tape and sylglas everywhere with you on river trips. Plastic boats have made such a difference
JohnPinn 23 Jan 2007
In reply to Squirrel Bill:

No idea about the LL Cross but www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk is pretty good!

John
JohnPinn 23 Jan 2007
In reply to Merlin:

Suprised you think the majority of the guys in K&P are up their own arses.

To some extent it is true that you cartwheel anything but maybe not on the flat!

Anyway buy a creek boat and go creeking!!

John
 SebCa 23 Jan 2007
In reply to Squirrel Bill: want a fluid flirt?
 dfbpdave 23 Jan 2007
In reply to JohnPinn:

Creekin' is definitely the way forward. Looking at both ends of the spectrum (river running/creekin and playboating) in the last few years it's become less likely that you'll be able to get a boat that will let you do both to a decent level. I guess this started with the generation of boats after the inazones.

But yes, get out on the rivers!
In reply to Merlin:
>kayaks and paddles in plymouth

Ah, Kayaks and paddles. The only place in plymouth that sells climbing gear. And it's got hardly anything. Considering dartmoor is right there, along with the Cornish coast, surely there should be something more? Damn Plymouth.
In reply to Jimbo MSider:
Nah not really, I found them more uncomfy than my riot disco and that was agony!
 CENSORED 23 Jan 2007
In reply to Squirrel Bill:
> (In reply to willhunt) Indeed they are...plus pyranha boats are shit...they just break.

I beg to differ, in the last 6 years I've run a fleet of up to 15 pyranha boats at a time (probably 40 boats in total), I've had two failures, one where the thigh brace was attached to the cockpit on an H3 255 (boat was around 18 months -2 years old at this point), Pyranha repaired it FOC and a thigh brace on my burn which bent (apparently they had a defective batch and replaced it FOC on the spot).

So not really shit IMHO and with a reasonable level of experience to back it up I feel...
In reply to CENSORED:
Well I've seen 4 of them break whilst paddling grade 3/4 rivers.

Mate's backband has ripped out of the seat 3 times on his I:4, after sending it back to pyranha twice with it comming back with the same problems, he's fixed it himself now.

My S:8 the backband webbing snapped whilst I was shooting a drop. The seat has cracked and one of the hip pads has also cracked. The ratchets no longer work.

Mate's S6x has a cracked footbock and torn backband.

So basically we're all fed up with the poor design and build quality of pyranha.
 Merlin 24 Jan 2007
In reply to Squirrel Bill: Do you wanna buy my riot, its for bigger people so will probably fit you?
 Merlin 24 Jan 2007
In reply to Robfromcornwall: I think with that new maul, they're just about ready for a snow+rock.
JohnPinn 24 Jan 2007
In reply to CENSORED:

No idea what you use your pyranha boats for but from my second hand experience of paddling them (i.e. my mates), all of their creek boats don't seem to take half the amount of the abuse that other brands of boats take. People will always say that rocks will always win over plastic but that really isn't the case in creek boats,or at least shouldn't be.

I own a pyranha I:3 and have for years and its fine but then again I don't take it creeking so I guess it depends on how you judge pyranha and what you use as an example.

The bottom line is that this arguement seems to come up time and time again and its always about pyranha.

John
JohnPinn 24 Jan 2007
In reply to Robfromcornwall:

Yup, the south west is terrible for climbing gear - luckily for me I spend most of my time in Ambleside which isn't exactly short of climbing shops.

John
JohnPinn 24 Jan 2007
In reply to dfbpdave:

I would argue that you can get a river running/play boat but if you mean creeking then I would agree that it is impossible to get a hybrid as essentiallly it is a specilisation just as surfing would be etc.

John
 dfbpdave 24 Jan 2007
In reply to JohnPinn:

I think it's more that the playboats are so extreme. Even one of the hole boats which isn't so slicey would be a problem on any decent river. And just imagine taking something slicey onto one of the rivers in North Wales! I started wimping out of rivers back when I had a forplay and the end kept getting stuck under rocks (perhaps some work on my river technique would have helped too
JohnPinn 24 Jan 2007
In reply to dfbpdave:

Well in that case I agree - you are talking about radical play boats compared to top spec creek boats. Technology has pushed both extremes further and further. Gone have the days of constant cartwheels or have to break your legs to get out of your boat in a pin. There are boats that will do both but of course neither amazingly.
 CENSORED 24 Jan 2007
In reply to JohnPinn: Generally I give them to people who have an even vaguer idea of what they are doing than me and let them try and break them.

As for the same old argument, I've heard exactly the same about Riot boats and respectfully refer you to this tale of two magnums...

http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13530&highligh...
JohnPinn 24 Jan 2007
In reply to CENSORED:
Well it appears that it isn't only pyranha plastic that has its faults.

I've just seen/heard about too many pyranha boats easily denting, spliting for me to trust them, and I'm definetly not alone in this! However, they do appear to sell well still!

As for me, I'm going to stick with my factory second boat with thinner sidewalls and is still absolutely indestructable!!

John
 CENSORED 24 Jan 2007
In reply to JohnPinn: I think one of the reasons you hear so much about Pyranha boats is there are so many of them out there being paddled in the UK.

Go to the tryweryn on a busy weekend and I reckon at least 40% of the boats on the water are Pyranha, it's an inevitable consequence of their success, more boats being paddled, more breakages.

But I still feel that a lot of it is pilot error.

This isn't a boast, in fact it's deeply embarrasing but, I dropped a microbat 240 off the roof in the outside lane of the M6. The car that hit it was totalled, after replacing the grab loops that had been ground off, I paddled it for another 2 years before part-exing ot for an Inazone....
 Al Evans 25 Jan 2007
In reply to Squirrel Bill: Its HVS if you are bigger than 5'9, If you are shorter its E2.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...