UKC

Is the parking at Almscliff safe?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tobias at Home 23 Feb 2007
if you had a car full to the brim with your worldly goods, would you leave it at almscliff to do a couple of routes tomorrow morning?
 lost1977 23 Feb 2007
In reply to Tobias at Home:

i thinks you've answered your own question

' car full to the brim with your worldly goods '
 shortyx 23 Feb 2007

almscliff is safe
 shortyx 23 Feb 2007

my car doesn't even lock and i leave it there
In reply to lost1977: yeah, but i could do great western on my way south...i've already written off font cos you can't trust the frogs...
Simon22 23 Feb 2007

What time are you planning on turning up?
In reply to Simon22: don't get your hopes up - it'll be sometime in the morning...
Clauso 23 Feb 2007
>
> ... i've already written off font cos you can't trust the frogs...

With diplomacy such as that, I'm sure that you're going to fit in just great in Cham'?
Avid Fan 23 Feb 2007

Cars have occasionally been broken into at Almscliffe in the past. I recommend you add a large dog to your worldly goods.
Simon22 23 Feb 2007

Will that be after sunrise?

Seriously you should be ok. It's not the sort of place that scum go thieving.
Clauso 23 Feb 2007
In reply to Clauso:

P.S. Are you aiming for an Alf Garnett vibe? In Sickness and in Alps?
In reply to Clauso:
> (In reply to Tobias at Home)
> [...]
>
> With diplomacy such as that, I'm sure that you're going to fit in just great in Cham'?

there's garlic chompers in cham? dammit, no-one told me. i want a refund!!

AB 23 Feb 2007
no
 gingerkate 23 Feb 2007
No no no.
Had the car window smashed (they didn't get anything worth having) first ever time I went there.
In reply to gingerkate: that's not good. i just thought it would be nice to break up the journeysouth with a sneaky ascent of great western. humpf! i guess there isn't much in the car i actually need...
Avid Fan 23 Feb 2007
> (In reply to gingerkate) that's not good. i just thought it would be nice to break up the journeysouth with a sneaky ascent of great western.

At least you could watch your car getting broken into from Great Western. Maybe you could shout angrily to scare them away.

Simon22 23 Feb 2007

I must have parked their over 50 times and never had trouble.

The only benefit is you can watch your car from the crag so if any scum try to break in you could leg it down there with a size 12 hex and tw*t them!

I think early morning and you'll be ok.
In reply to Simon22: embarassingly, i've never been to almcliff. figure it is something i should rectify before categorising all yorkshire as green and steep.
 gingerkate 23 Feb 2007
In reply to Tobias at Home: If I lived a wee bit nearer and was going to be in I'd say come and dump it at my place, but I'm not going to be in and it def wouldn't be safe on my driveway!
 sutty 23 Feb 2007

You have mail
Simon22 23 Feb 2007
> (In reply to Simon22) embarassingly, i've never been to almcliff. figure it is something i should rectify before categorising all yorkshire as green and steep.

All Yorkshire grit is awful, leave it alone.......although Almcliffe has to be experienced.
In reply to sutty: cheers sutty, so do you...
In reply to gingerkate: thanks, have decided that anything tha's left in the car, the scroats are welcome to. all the climbing gear is already in the alps and about all they can nick is a hundredweight of books - at least they can educate themselves....
 gingerkate 23 Feb 2007
Good, not worth missing Almscliff for. If they can see it's books hopefully they'll leave it alone anyway.
In reply to gingerkate: i had a girlfriend to come and stay with me in highgate once and her car got broken into. she was gutted till she realised all they'd taken were two backpacks full of textbooks on the vikings
 sutty 23 Feb 2007

I saw someone had shopping bags stolen from their car in Leeds, all ready to go to the recycling center.

Some years ago a scooter got stolen from outside a house and left some miles away undamaged. The owner wrote a letter to the papers asking the thief how he had got it going as she had not managed it for a while, the reason it was left outside.
00spaw 24 Feb 2007
In reply to Tobias at Home: i would.

not bad at all. and there are a few houses to park outside a short walk away.
 jkarran 24 Feb 2007

I asked fellow climbers to help me break into a car there, nobody asked me why or even if it was mine, they were very helpful lending tools and ideas

You can however see it from the crag, it's probably safer than outside your house!

jk
 andi_e 24 Feb 2007
In reply to Tobias at Home: I've parked at Almscliff several million times and never had any problem. And anyway, most weekends it's rammed so if someone does try to TWOC something chances are it won't be yours if you got a good spot.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...