UKC

Sheep Ticks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Anth. 27 Aug 2002
Has anyone else noticed more of these bastards about this year? Out of five of use walking up to Seargant Crag Slabs on Saturday, three of us ended up hosting thier next meal.

God knows what somewhere like Kyloe will be like at the moment - ...as the man said - keep to the path, stay off the moor!
 Chris Fryer 27 Aug 2002
In reply to Anth.: It pisses me off. I dont mind sheep getting into bouldering, but when they leave those little white marks all over the boulders......

Seriously, i got a couple the other day, but its always been quite common where i was.
 Adam Lincoln 27 Aug 2002
In reply to Chris Fryer:
In Pembroke? Really? Shit, best check myself over...
Weakboy 27 Aug 2002
In reply to Chris Fryer:

How d'you normally get em off? I tried alcohol a few years back and it didn't really work.

In the lakes a few weeks ago I burnt one little bugger off, but that hurt like hell. Did the trick brilliantly though...
wee Davie 27 Aug 2002
In reply to Anth.:

You need to be careful when removing them to get the whole tick out or else infection can start from the remaining head bit stuck in your skin.

You can put vaseline over them which stops them breathing, therefore making them retreat out of you.
Vets sell little hook things which remove them. My dog gets loads of ticks and we use the hook method on her.
 Chris Fryer 27 Aug 2002
In reply to Adam Lincoln: Relax mate, the other day was a few weeks ago at goblin coombe. Apparently vaseline is a bad idea as it makes them vomit inside you and it gets infected. Apparently it needs liftint and twisting to remove it. There was a thread all about it a while back.
OP Dingo Dongo 27 Aug 2002
In reply to Anth.:
> Has anyone else noticed more of these bastards about this year? Out of five of use walking up to Seargant Crag Slabs on Saturday, three of us ended up hosting thier next meal.
>
> God knows what somewhere like Kyloe will be like at the moment - ...as the man said - keep to the path, stay off the moor!

wooooh, wooooh, the tick
WCDave 27 Aug 2002
In reply to wee Davie:
> (In reply to Anth.)
>
> You need to be careful when removing them to get the whole tick out or else infection can start from the remaining head bit stuck in your skin.
>

I know yer supposed to surgically remove the feckers, but I just pull 'em out. And I'm still alive.

I seemed to have had loads of them this year, and I've hardly been out!

TobyA 27 Aug 2002
In reply to WCDave: Swiss army knife tweezers seem to do the trick just fine. Twist as you pull, have never had a problem myself, beyond the disgust of something stuck in you and wriggling!
OP Anth. 27 Aug 2002
In reply to Chris Fryer: The vasoline method works, but I don't beleive its anything to do with breathing - they just wonder what your going to do to them next - seriously this and burning are apparantly a couple of the worst ways to get them off due to their puking back into you - there's some good info on this type of stuff on www.tradgirl.com

I personally use alcohol and a needle - but tradgirl rackomends a lasso type affair - god knows how you get it right the little bastards are tiny - maybe there just better cowboys in the States

It just seems to me that their a lot more active this year for some reason - anything to do with the weather or last years foot and mouth etc etc
 El Greyo 27 Aug 2002
In reply to Anth.:
I found a tick after a weekend at Swanage. They apparently go for warm areas with good blood supply. This one had, it was on me willy.

As for removing them, I find the best way is to just pluck them straight out with the tweezers from my Swiss Army knife. Work very well and I've never had problems with leaving behind the head and mouth parts. I've also heard that the quarter anti-clockwise twist is a myth and is more likely to snap it's head off.
Randy Slapp 27 Aug 2002
In reply to El Greyo:

Just out of interest, is it obvious when you get one i.e. does it hurt, or do you have to check yourself?
James B 27 Aug 2002
In reply to Randy Slapp:

I usually feel it after its had a good feed.....once the areas gone red.....The problem I've had with pulling them out is ripping there bodies off with there head stuck under the skin! As mentioned above it all get infected!

A hot blown out match works ok for burning there asses off!
This is what I do!
scawf vu 27 Aug 2002
In reply to wee Davie: Apparently they puke their guts up when you remove them so it will tend to get infected anyway.
Just watch out for Lymes(sp)disease, flu like symptons to start with and the bite area goes like a bullseye, it is extremely nasty and you can get it in the UK. Check out American web sites if you want a fright!

For dogs we always use "Frontline" from the vets on our spaniels, otherwise they have ended up with loads.

To romve them a sharp turn/pull with tweezers is best. Don't try and suffocate/poison them cos they'll get you first.
North Col 27 Aug 2002
In reply to scawf vu:

General info on ticks relating to a Font outbreak last year:

A failure to stick greasy slopers hasn’t been the only thing bugging some visitors to Fontainbleu this summer. A few unfortunate boulderers have succumbed to Lyme Disease – the tick-borne bacterial infection that can lead to symptoms as severe as arthritis if not treated promptly. Many British climbers, surprised by the reports, appeared to be unaware of the potential reservoir of Lyme Disease at Font, being under the misapprehension that it was a risk confined to sheep-tick infested Scottish moorland. (In fact, within Britain, over half of reported cases have been acquired in the south-western regions of the country with very few cases reported from exposure to ticks in northern England and Scotland.) Instead, it's a warmth-dependent thing, ensuring the disease is endemic in areas further south including most parts of Europe and northern Asia.
The bug that actually causes the disease is a bacterium which is carried around in the gut of an unwitting host tick. The blood-sucking ticks themselves are hitching a ride on the backs of large mammals, typically deer, but also sheep, wild boar, domestic dogs – and humans. People usually pick up ticks by brushing against low vegetation (ticks search for hosts from the tips of grasses and shrubs, they don’t dangle from trees). The ticks can only crawl, they can’t jump or fly onto you (so any found on your scalp have had a very long walk – and are probably quite hungry).
The good news is that the disease is markedly seasonal. The bad news is that peak period coincides with the summer rock climbing season (April through October). And don’t think you can get away from it all in America; even a road trip to the US won’t necessarily shake off the threat, as most states (apart from those in the mid-West and Alaska) contain a potential risk of infection. (The disease was in fact first fully characterised in the US in 1975 following investigations into unusually large clusters of juvenile rheumatoid arthritis around Lyme, Connecticut).
Because the disease is still mistaken for other ailments, it’s important to recognise it at an early stage (see factoids below). The good news is that nearly all Lyme disease patients can be treated with antibiotic therapy, although the sooner it’s begun, the quicker and more complete the recovery. The even better news is that the chances of getting the disease are still pretty low, although doom-merchants warn that projected climate change may increase its spread - thanks to milder winters prolonging the activity and survival of host ticks.

Don’t Panic! Essential Lyme Disease Factoids
How to spot it.
Lyme Disease characteristically shows up as red ‘bull’s-eye’ rash where the little critter bit you. The rash typically takes anything from one to two weeks after infection to manifest itself, although it may appear as soon as three days or as long as thirty. It can be accompanied by a spectacularly large array of non-specific symptoms such as feverishness, tiredness, headache, muscle and joint aches. The effects vary among victims; some may not suffer from any of the above illnesses, whilst others may only suffer from muscle aches, headaches and tiredness. From a boulderers’ point of view, some of the symptoms seem indistinguishable from climbing injuries, such as intermittent swelling and pain in one or a few joints. In more extreme cases some victims develop cognitive disorders, sleep disturbance, fatigue and even personality disorders.
Good news: Lyme Disease is rarely fatal.
Bad news: you can get it more than once.

Treatment
Antibiotic treatment for 3-4 weeks is generally effective after early diagnosis. Later stages of infection will still respond, although more slowly and perhaps incompletely, requiring retreatment.
Good news: A vaccine is under development
Bad news: It's for high-risk workers only such as forestry personnel.

Avoiding it in the first place
Suggestions for avoiding ticks include always wearing long pants and shirts, tucking trousers into socks and wearing a hat. Sounds like ideal bouldering attire – for February (when the ticks aren’t a problem). So climbers visiting tick-rich environments in summer are going to get the beasts latching onto them no matter how paranoid and vigilant you are. Period. Luckily, this doesn’t mean you will automatically get the disease, even if an infected tick has a free lunch at your expense. Generally only about one percent of ticks have the disease bacterium, although in some ‘hotspots’ more than half the population may be carriers. Even then, transmission of the bacterium from the tick’s gut is unlikely to occur less than 36 hours after attachment. A daily survey of your honed body (for ticks) and their prompt removal should greatly help to prevent infection. To remove ticks always use fine-tipped tweezers. Contrary to popular urban legend you should NOT use vaseline, fire, nail polish, meths, brandy, cigarettes, air freshener or napalm. Instead, grasp the little bastard with the tweezers as close to the skin as possible and pull its parasitical body away from the skin with a steady motion. Then clean the area with an antiseptic.
Good news: Don’t worry if you break the body away leaving the mouth parts still embedded – the Lyme Disease bacteria are contained in the tick’s mid-gut – that’s the important bit to zap.
Bad news: Research in the US suggests that most ticks transmit the disease to humans during the nymph stage of their life cycle – when they are much smaller (poppy seed sized) and harder to spot. Look harder.

Tick anorak 27 Aug 2002
In reply to Anth.:

Everything you needed to know about the changing incidence of tickborne encephalitis in Europe - and then some...

The recorded incidence of tickborne encephalitis (TBE) in Europe and Russia has changed over the past two decades, but the geographical pattern of change is heterogeneous (1).

The most dramatic changes of all were the sudden increases in 1992-3 in Latvia, Lithuania, Poland and Belarus, and also in Estonia, Germany, the Czech Republic, and Slovakia (2).

TBE cases have increased steadily since the mid-1970s in Russia, and since the mid-1980s in Switzerland, Sweden, and Finland. Since 1997, the first cases have appeared in Norway. Along the southern edge of the virus's range, in Slovenia, Croatia and Hungary, incidence has fluctuated and shown no consistent trend apart from signs of decreasing over the past 4-5 years. In Austria, the only country with extensive systematic vaccination coverage, TBE incidence has decreased progressively since the early 1980s.

To understand the causes we must take a pan-European view of changing climate and other environmental factors, socio-political systems and public health services, and expect to identify combinations of biological and non-biological factors specific to each country. Continental scale multi-temporal data on environmental conditions, remotely sensed from meteorological satellites, have given us predictive risk maps and allowed insight into the climatic determinants of the rates of contact between humans and infected ticks (3). Most obviously, development and death rates that determine the distribution and abundance of ticks are sensitive to changes in climate, and also to habitat structure and the availability of hosts, particularly the larger species, commonly ungulates, upon which all three life stages of vector ticks feed. Climate is also critical in determining the seasonality of activity. Warmer weather in spring and autumn may permit longer activity seasons for both ticks and humans, likely to be most important in northern regions such as Scandinavia, where prolonged low temperatures are limiting factors for tick development and activity. This may have contributed to the spread of ticks and TBE to new parts of Sweden (1) and the recent appearance of cases of TBE in Norway.

The circulation of tickborne pathogens themselves depends on more subtle environmental variables. We now understand that the force of TBE virus transmission, and therefore the infection prevalence in tick populations, depends on the degree of seasonal overlap between larval and nymphal ticks (4). For persistent cycles, the relatively few infected nymphs must transmit the virus to the more numerous larvae as they feed together on rodents (5). This is associated with particular seasonal profiles of ground temperature, which explains the focal nature of TBE despite the wider distribution of competent ticks species, principally Ixodes ricinus and I. persulcatus. In some parts of Europe, climate change may disrupt the delicate balance between tick demographic patterns and the TBE virus transmission route, especially where increasingly warm and dry summers impose high mortality on ticks (6). This seems to account for the decline in TBE incidence along the southern boundary in Slovenia, Croatia and Hungary.

Superimposed on these biological phenomena are non-biological factors that can vary much more suddenly and are therefore likely to result in dramatic changes in disease incidence. Most striking is the coincidence of the abrupt 1992/93 increases in TBE with the end of the communist era in eastern Europe. This was accompanied by altered patterns in human behaviour involving agricultural practices, and the greater use of tick infested habitats for work, food harvest and leisure activities. Further complicating factors are various public health activities, including improved surveillance, diagnosis, vaccination, awareness and avoidance. The history of TBE incidence in Russia illustrates the interplay of non-biological factors well (7). High recorded incidence in the 1950s and 1960s is ascribed to expanding industries (for example, timber) in the forest zone, together with improved diagnostics. There followed a period of aggressive control of ticks by DDT spraying, achieving progressive decrease in incidence until the early 1970s. Vector control then ceased, and by 1990 TBE cases were back to their 1960s level. The final upsurge over the 1990s occurred as a greater proportion of city dwellers were exposed to ticks in their garden plots and dachas, and as laboratory diagnosis of TBE improved further.

Biologically, tickborne diseases are amongst the most complex of infectious disease systems and the observed epidemiological heterogeneity, in both space and time, should therefore come as no surprise. Many of the above factors are not defined by national borders, and so there have been regional shifts in the incidence of TBE within countries as well as differential changes between countries. Analysis on different spatial scales, local, regional, national and continental, will help us to disentangle the environmental from the sociological causes. Satellites offer us one vital truly international tool to help achieve this by revealing changing environmental conditions over the same spatial scales.

References:
1. International Scientific Working Group on Tick-Borne Encephalitis. TBE cases. 2000.Available from: http://www.tbe-info.com/epidemiology/index.html
2. Skarpaas T, Sundøy A, Bruu AL, Vene S, Pedersen J, Eng PG, et al. Skogflattencefalitt i Norge. Tidsskr Nor Loegeforen 2002; 122: 30-2.
3. Hay SI, Randolph SE, Rogers DJ, eds. Remote sensing and geographical information systems in epidemiology. London: Academic Press, 2000.
4. Randolph SE, Green RM, Peacey MF, Rogers DJ. Seasonal synchrony: the key to tick-borne encephalitis foci identified by satellite data. Parasitology 2000; 121: 15-23.
5. Randolph SE, Miklisová D, Lysy J, Rogers DJ, Labuda M. Incidence from coincidence: patterns of tick infestations on rodents facilitate transmission of tick-borne encephalitis virus. Parasitology 1999; 118: 177-86.
6. Randolph SE, Rogers DJ. Fragile transmission cycles of tick-borne encephalitis virus may be disrupted by predicted climate change. Proc Roy Soc Lond B 2000; 267: 1741-44.
7. Korenberg EI, Kovaleskii YV. Main features of tick-borne encephalitis eco-epidemiology in Russia. Zentralbl Bakteriol 1999; 289: 525-39.
Reported by Sarah Randolph Department of Zoology, University of Oxford, England.

CragHead 27 Aug 2002
So far I haven't see Ticks yet! (Touch wood), but notice that more midges and fleas appear this summer! do u think the same?
 Marc C 27 Aug 2002
In reply to Anth.: Sheep ticks? Hmm. Well. makes a change from all the ticks of climbs in Hard Rock, or all the Munros, I guess. Wish I'd kept records now, as my memory lets me down a bit. The first official 'sheep tick' was aged 14 on my Uncle's farm (the little bugger kicked and screamed a bit, I remember) and there's been a pretty steady stream from then on. Rough guess; about 2,300. Is there a sheep tick list equivalent of the 3 peaks (one in ERngland, Scotland and Wales the same day)?
Stac Pollaidh 27 Aug 2002
In reply to Anth.: Thought ye were oot bivyin' in Scoatland at the weekend, sir?
Ahv had hunners o' tick bites this year.
wee Davie 27 Aug 2002
In reply to Anth.:

I know someone who had the task of removing a tick from a gentleman's bell end, after a bit of how's yer father in the woods turned to tragedy for said individual.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...