UKC

SHAFF was ace

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 philipivan 26 Mar 2007
Is there no SHAFF thread? It was awesome!!! Some really inspiring films and as I had not heard Andy K and Niall talk before I coulnd't believe how funny it was.

My favs were Whillans film and Andy in Scotland film but Set in Stone and John Arrans talk had such amazing scenery.

Thanks to all involved.
Page 26 Mar 2007
In reply to newkid:

Some ace music in with many of the films.
 MattH 26 Mar 2007
In reply to Page:

Thanks for the comments guys. Always appreciated. Had a nice lie-in this morning!
 MeMeMe 26 Mar 2007
In reply to newkid:

Was a bit of a mixed bag I thought, but then I think one of the sets of films I saw was called "mixed bag" so I guess I should of expected that!

I had two films I liked best -

The one about climbing icebergs, those guys were certifiable.

The one about the Swiss guy Didier trying to get the first ascent of Cobra Crack. So wanted him to get it, I'm sure I was shouting at the screen when he was almost at the top.

Some of the extreme boarding/skiing was good in a "wow, I don't believe they are doing that" kind of way.

Not so impressed with some of the 'cultural' stuff, just not for me, felt really long.

Not that impressed with the bouldering stuff I saw (crabstix stuff and some Spanish thing), just didn't get my attention, maybe you need to be a bit more into your bouldering for it to be of interest.

Overall I thought it was a really good event, seemed well organised. Loved the venue too, nice and easy to get to from the train station.

Will definitely go again next year.
 Pythonist 26 Mar 2007
In reply to MeMeMe:
> (In reply to newkid)

Seconded. Brilliant event, and well-worth recommending to anyone next year (hopefully there will be a next year!)
> The one about the Swiss guy Didier trying to get the first
> ascent of Cobra Crack. So wanted him to get it, I'm sure I
> was shouting at the screen when he was almost at the top.

Seeing that, after seeing E11 the night before made for a great comparison of the two hardest routes in the world!

> Not that impressed with the bouldering stuff I saw
> (crabstix stuff and some Spanish thing), just didn't get
> my attention, maybe you need to be a bit more into your
> bouldering for it to be of interest.

The crabstix bit was only a last-minute inclusion, as Rich Simpson's Obsession was dropped/pulled. I must disagree with you, though, as I though the Spanish bouldering video was possibly the best of the festival. Very Font-esque scenary, and great timed shots to match a brilliant sound-track. Matt - what was this video? (as it doesn't appear in the program!)

> Overall I thought it was a really good event, seemed well
> organised. Loved the venue too, nice and easy to get to
> from the train station.

Also seconded. The timing of the Master's Bouldering Competition at the Works was a little unfortunate (the male qualifiers were exactly the same time as the climbing films), but a good competition to fill the hours between the videos!
 MattH 26 Mar 2007
In reply to Pythonist:

It was called Pinturas Buldestres. Made by Luc Percival. I agree - it opened my eyes to what looks like an amazing new bouldering venue not too far away.

I tried to time things so that there were no climbing films on during the actual finals of the comp, but had to compromise on the qualifiers...

Will meet with the Showroom later this week to discuss next year, but I see no reason why not. Just need to arrange it on a weekend when it rains! Any preference on what time of the year it is?

BTW, feel free to send me any films or suggestions for possible inclusion next year.

Cheers,
MattH
Jay218 26 Mar 2007
In reply to MattH:

Saw the climbing selection, loved it! Well done Matt !!
 MeMeMe 26 Mar 2007
In reply to MattH:

> Any preference on what time of the year it is?

Slightly earlier in the year so there is more chance of bad weather?

Was a toss up whether or not to go to Shaff or go climbing on Saturday, but decided to go to Shaff and then went climbing on Sunday as it looked like the weather might be good.

Is nice having it this time of year as it is good inspiring stuff and sets you up for the spring/summer climbing season. Winter climbers/hardcore grit climbers may have different ideas!
 Katie Weston 26 Mar 2007
In reply to MattH:
Agree with slightly earlier, this year it was the weekend that Sheffield University term ended, I bet a load of students would have loved to have gone but had to head home instead.
LucP 26 Mar 2007
In reply to Pythonist:

Hi Pyhonist

Thanks very much for the compliment regarding Pinturas Buldestres. Very very much appreciated

Cheers
Luc
LucP 26 Mar 2007
In reply to MattH:

Hi Matt

Thanks for showing some of the film and giving it your support. Sounds like the festival went down a storm! Congratulations!

Cheers
Luc

Pythonist 26 Mar 2007
In reply to LucP:
> Thanks very much for the compliment regarding Pinturas Buldestres. Very very much appreciated

No worries - I felt a little let down by the Winter Sessions bouldering, but by halfway through PB, I was desperate to get back to Font! Any chance of getting a copy of the film / others of the same area? And where is it!?!

Sorry Matt, the comment about mixed timings wasn't supposed to be a real critism, just a bit of annoyance at running back and forth between the Showroom and the Works the whole of Saturday. And I'd assumed it was the Works' fault!

And Andy K and Niall do indeed need a round of applause for comic compare-ing.
 MattH 26 Mar 2007
In reply to Pythonist:

No offence taken. Nobody's fault. I was working with the works , but we had to make a few compromises, holding two big events in the same cit on the same day.

I'll be reviewing a copy of Pinturas on planetFear before long. Figured it wouldn't look good to review it before showing it at the festival!

MattH

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...