UKC

phenomenology: official UKClimbing.com word of the day

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CJD 30 Mar 2007
phenomenology is the official UKClimbing.com word of the day.

phenomenology
n.

1. A philosophy or method of inquiry based on the premise that reality consists of objects and events as they are perceived or understood in human consciousness and not of anything independent of human consciousness.
2. A movement based on this, originated about 1905 by Edmund Husserl.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/phenomenology
(and scroll down a bit)

hello all

we haven't had one of these in a while, and so this one is in 'omage to RD.

first person to start humming the Muppets/Sesame Street song will get a slap.

graeme jackson 30 Mar 2007
In reply to CJD: Ouch!
 Tiggs 30 Mar 2007
In reply to CJD:
>
> first person to start humming the Muppets/Sesame Street song will get a slap.
>
>

We're all trying v. hard not to.....

Dave C 30 Mar 2007
In reply to Tiggs: I couldn't stop myself >hangs head<
Nim 30 Mar 2007
In reply to CJD: "Phenomenology" brought back horrible memories of Archaeological Theory lectures - until someone mentioned the Muppets. Thanks for that :|

Removed User 30 Mar 2007
In reply to Dave C:
menumenuh. Me neither. Doh!
 Marc C 30 Mar 2007
In reply to CJD: As a young student at Heidelberg, I used to dabble in the verstehende Geisteswissenschaften. Herr Brentano, my tutor, said I was eminently suited to the phenomenological epoche - as I had a naturally blank mind...

Dave C 30 Mar 2007
In reply to Marc C: I'd like to hear you say that lot after a few drinks!
Pinky 30 Mar 2007
In reply to Tiggs: CJD is so evIl, I can't get it out of my head now!!

;-S
Removed User 30 Mar 2007
In reply to Pinky:
Why can't I get the line "it's time to put on make up" out of my head????
OP CJD 30 Mar 2007
In reply to Pinky:

<snigger>

Dave C 30 Mar 2007
In reply to Removed User: Oh no, don't get me started on that one...it's time to light the lights.....NOOOOOO!
 JLS 30 Mar 2007
In reply to CJD:

>"premise that reality consists of objects and events as they are perceived or understood in human consciousness and not of anything independent of human consciousness"

It became apparent some time ago that reality consists of sh!t. I therefore conclude that there is a god, and universe merely a large septic tank.
brothersoulshine 30 Mar 2007
In reply to CJD:

Phenomenology was very big in nursing research a few years ago. Everybody seemed to like Heidegger, rather than Husserl.

Heidegger was one of Husserl's students who went on to become a professor and wouldn't speak to Husserl and generally made life difficult for him because Husserl was Jewish.

So one of the biggest influences in nursing research is a Nazi. Funny old world...
 Marc C 30 Mar 2007
In reply to brothersoulshine: Yes, nurses are particularly fond of quoting long extracts from Heidegger's most influential book Bleeding & Slime.
Removed User 30 Mar 2007
In reply to brothersoulshine:
> (In reply to CJD)
>
> So one of the biggest influences in nursing research is a Nazi. Funny old world...

Well, no, it explains a hell of a lot actually in accounting for so many people I worked with in the NHS!! lol
 Dave C 30 Mar 2007
In reply to CJD: Ms C has just stuck her head round the door to ask me why I'm humming the theme from the Muppets, she won't believe it's all your fault!

Andy Say 30 Mar 2007
In reply to CJD:
Aaaaaah you bring it all back to me. The heady days of contemplating the work of Csikszentmihalyi and its application to getting the sequence on Short Circuit just right........
OP CJD 30 Mar 2007
In reply to brothersoulshine:

I believe experiential phenomenology is a big thing in relation to client centred counselling. I dunno much about it though, the only bits like that I've read were the likes of Laing, years ago. The Politics of Experience is a splendid book, what with all its 'as we experience the world so we act' and this one:
'What we think is less than what we know;
What we know is less than what we love;
What we love is so much less than what there is.
And to that precise extent we are so much less than what we are.'
OP CJD 30 Mar 2007
In reply to Dave C:

hurrah, my irritating influence has spread as far as Australia!
 Jimmy D 30 Mar 2007
In reply to CJD:
> (In reply to brothersoulshine)
>
> the likes of Laing, years ago. The Politics of Experience is a splendid book, what with all its 'as we experience the world so we act' and this one:

Maybe a great magnet pulls
All souls towards truth
Or maybe it is life itself
That feeds wisdom
To its youth

heather monkey 30 Mar 2007
In reply to CJD:
> phenomenology
> n.
>
> 1. A method of inquiry into the unique post-hangover restorative qualities of Irn-bru.
 Marc C 30 Mar 2007
In reply to CJD:
> (In reply to Dave C)

>Irritating influence has spread as far as Australia!>

The headline of the Adelaide Times the day Dave emigrated from the UK

Marc C 30 Mar 2007
In reply to Jimmy D: Ha ha! Was I the only person who thought she'd written a song about oral sex addiction - Cocksuck Craving?

Yes, it was probably only me...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...