UKC

Has Hope for RN hostages faded...?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Benglog 01 Apr 2007
.... now that Bush has asked for their release. I can't imagine the Iranian loonies being any more co-operatives towards Bush than they are with Blair. On the contrary, they'll probably be less so.
 FreeloaderJoe 01 Apr 2007
In reply to Benglog: Depends how foolish the Iranians are feeling. It was a good stunt i'll admit, but i can't help but think that people are going to start getting shitty within the next couple of weeks. The Iranians really are playing with fire; despite the lack of EU sanctions this time round, don't rule it out in the next fortnight.
Benglog 01 Apr 2007
In reply to FreeloaderJoe: I do feel sorry for those RN people and, from what I have seen they are behaving admirably despite the criticisms from some "armchair" warriors that they should not have "confessed" John Nichol was highly supportive of them.
They are, sadly, pawns in a game over which they have no control and, conspiracy theories apart, I doo wonder how much of this situation has been manipulated and by whom.
 Steve Parker 01 Apr 2007
In reply to Benglog:

I agree that Bush's contribution is probably worth zero in Iran, and may even galvanise extremists into further resistance. This seems to be a situation requiring subtlety and gamesmanship, not posturing; and, unfortunately for the individuals involved, our government seems set on the latter. I think they should have gone with the Iranian call for no further violations of territory. Any useful diplomat could have drafted a response to that, which would both be acceptable to the zealots in Iran, and not commit the UK to any apologies or sureties of future policy. My fear is that both sides are now using the stand-off as a vehicle to make political capital, when the clear priority of our government should be to get the boys (and woman) back. This isn't a time for machismo; that can come afterwards.
Benglog 01 Apr 2007
In reply to Steve Parker: Yes, as much as I favour good old fashioned gun-boat diplomacy, that can come once they're home
In reply to Steve Parker: I think under the circumstances anyone in government cant do anything but posturing. I also dont think there is any "posture" that they could take that would enhance anyones stature in government.

When its all done and dusted i think not getting captured in the first place will be what should have happened and the fact that they did someone took their eye off the ball or got lazy.

Lastly the captives are rather like living in the big brother house unable to be aware of ehats happening outside and Im sure that the Iranians are playing on this to coerce them, that said I would think the Royal Marines wont be saying anything other than name rank and serial number
 MikeTS 01 Apr 2007
In reply to Steve Parker:
> (In reply to Benglog)
>
> I think they should have gone with the Iranian call for no further violations of territory.

Since this is a disputed boundary. how could they do this?
 Steve Parker 01 Apr 2007
In reply to MikeTS:
> (In reply to Steve Parker)
> [...]
>
> Since this is a disputed boundary. how could they do this?

It would just be an empty diplomatic gesture, which seems to be what the Iranians want.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...