UKC

Bishop Auckland? Darlington? Climbing?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Danger 07 Apr 2007
I am being exiled to Bishop Auckland for 4 weeks, starting on Tuesday, for work and am looking for places to go climbing and people to go climbing with to cope with the agony of living out of a hotel room for a month.

Any help or advice would be greatfully recieved!
 hutchm 07 Apr 2007
In reply to Danger:

Ah...Bishop Auckland. Let's face it, it's a complete mystery to me why any bishop would choose to spend five minutes there, let alone build a bloody palace there.

Nestled on the fringes of the Durham Dales, it is a tedious and unpleasant place in the extreme - even Darlington seems like an oasis of culture and high society in comparison.

All is not lost, however. If you have a car, you can leave Bishop Auckland on a frequent basis, taking care not to glance in the rear view mirror as you go.

Climbing...indoors, there is a wall at Newton Aycliffe, which should do you for a month or so during the week.

Outside, you're not perfectly positioned, but it could be worse, I suppose. You can get to Scugdale in about 45-50 minutes if you take the 'fast' road past Sedgefield and then the A14 southwards.

Goldsborough Carr is about 30-35 mins away on the back roads to Middleton-in-Teesdale.

Northumberland looks like it should be reachable, but it will take you about 50 mins to an hour to get past Newcastle from Bishop, and then the rest to get there. I rarely climbed there, although it's a weekend possibility. But so is the Peak, Lakes, by that measure.

I don't live on the patch any more. There are some Durham based folks who may chip in with words of wisdom to lift your spirits.

Enjoy....
bergalia 07 Apr 2007
In reply to hutchm:
> (In reply to Danger)
Goldsborough Carr is about 30-35 mins away on the back roads to Middleton-in-Teesdale.

I'm talking from 30 years back - but there used to be a reasonable climbing wall in Darlington (built in a lift shaft) next to the Northern Echo building.
And there are/were one or two interesting - but short - scrambles in the various limestone (crumbly and full of fossils) ) outcrops beside the A1. Local climbers should be able to help with local knowledge. But a scan at a large scale Ordnance Survey sheet will reveal several interesting places to explore. Failing that go up the dales near Richmond: Whinstone, slate, and some gabro outcrops. Finally follow the road over the moors towards Appleby. Some great slabs.
 hutchm 07 Apr 2007
In reply to bergalia:

http://www.climbonline.co.uk/

Has all the info you need on both the North Yorks Moors stuff and the East Pennines/Richmond crags. Allow 45 mins to Richmond as a guide from Bishop and 50 mins plus to the nearest NYM crag.
 hutchm 07 Apr 2007
In reply to hutchm:

The Darlington climbing wall doesn't appear to be open at the moment. The Newton Aycliffe wall is far superior anyway. There are also good walls at Sunderland (45 mins) and Newcastle.
 Nick Selmes 07 Apr 2007
In reply to Danger: The Darlington climbing wall is in the dolphin centre. It's worth a look with a partner if its open, though more to have experienced it than anything else - I've never seen anything quite like it.

Rock Antics is a much better bet - I reckon its as good as anywhere I've been as a general wall if the air con is working.

Outside - I'd recommend a look at Goldsborough and Scugdale as already mentioned, or the Wainstones on the Moors for a slightly longer trip. IMHO these are the only crags in the area which stand up to comparisons on a national scale.
bergalia 07 Apr 2007
In reply to hutchm:
> (In reply to bergalia)
>
> http://www.climbonline.co.uk/
>
> Has all the info you need on both the North Yorks Moors stuff and the East Pennines/Richmond crags.

Thanks hutchm. Prompted memories. Roseberry Topping had a couple of knuckle-skinners, and Holwick Scar is certainly worth a visit. Back in my younger days (1960's) you had to get written permission from the land owner and he'd watch until you'd proved your 'worth' before signing the official clearance chit. But well worth it. Some great chimneys and slabs.
andhpool 07 Apr 2007
In reply to Danger: aycliff wall is good and friendly.if you need belay bud just give me a shout.
Yrmenlaf 07 Apr 2007
In reply to Danger:

There is loads of decent climbing. Granted not much excellent climbing.

North York Moors (Sandstone and Limestone), North Pennines (Gritstone & limestone), a few sandstone / dolomite quarries in County Durham, and the Whin Sill of Crag LOugh on the wall.

Y.
Yrmenlaf 07 Apr 2007
In reply to Yrmenlaf:

You ought perhaps to meet this guy:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=236349&v=1

Y.
OP Danger 08 Apr 2007
Thanks very much everyone, you have been very helpful.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...