UKC

intolerance: official UKClimbing.com word of the day

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CJD 10 Apr 2007
intolerance is the official UKClimbing.com word of the day.

intolerance
n.

1. lack of toleration; unwillingness or refusal to tolerate or respect contrary opinions or beliefs, persons of different races or backgrounds, etc.
2. incapacity or indisposition to bear or endure: intolerance to heat.
3. abnormal sensitivity or allergy to a food, drug, etc.
4. an intolerant act.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/intolerance

as part of my occasional series, here's a Word of the Day.

are the good folk of UKC getting more intolerant?

discuss.

Profanisaurus Rex 10 Apr 2007
In reply to CJD:

Oh FFS, what is it with your "Word of the Day" posts? This is a climbing site, not a writers forum!

ICE 10 Apr 2007
In reply to Masood: tee hee.
 sutty 10 Apr 2007
In reply to CJD:

shut up woman, I want to go climbing instead of just walking.

(mutter mutter, bloody wordsmith my arse)
KevinD 10 Apr 2007
In reply to CJD:

is it really word of the day if it is not daily?
shouldnt it be word of the month or week?
OP CJD 10 Apr 2007
In reply to dissonance:

well spotted
In reply to dissonance:
> (In reply to CJD)
>
> is it really word of the day if it is not daily?

Well yes, it can be, can't it? It's the word of that particular day, as opposed to a daily word. Semantics, I know, but still logically correct IMHO...

GarethSL 10 Apr 2007
In reply to CJD: most are intollerant, people becoming more aggressive at making their oppinions known.
 The Crow 10 Apr 2007
In reply to Gaz lord:

Once you cut throught the fluff you get to the rotten core of this sordid little forum... a few people on this site seem to have a nasty downer on accountant rambler types or seem to be anti-blonde.

Quite disgusting prejudice really.
OP CJD 10 Apr 2007
In reply to The Crow:

I'm not anti-blonde any more. I'm becoming more liberal in my old age.
 tlm 10 Apr 2007
In reply to dissonance:
> (In reply to CJD)
>
> is it really word of the day if it is not daily?
> shouldnt it be word of the month or week?

Word of the "now and again when I'm in the mood"....

sutty 10 Apr 2007
In reply to CJD:

>I'm not anti-blonde any more

will you speak to me again now?
In reply to tlm:
> (In reply to dissonance)
> [...]
>
> Word of the "now and again when I'm in the mood"....
>
Woman's Word, then...

OP CJD 10 Apr 2007
In reply to tlm:

when I think of a good one.

I'm actually compiling a list at the moment of words whose meanings I don't know, so I shall try to use those.
 The Crow 10 Apr 2007
In reply to CJD:

How liberal, I suppose the 'accountant and ramblerism' is understandable and everyone draws the line at gingers don't they...

Seriously though I've not noticed a change? What sort of topics made you think we were all becoming so polarised?
OP CJD 10 Apr 2007
In reply to The Crow:

people just seem to be grumbling a bit more lately. Myself included.
OP CJD 10 Apr 2007
In reply to The Crow:

ha ha, Crow's being fluuuufff-fffy, Crow's being fluuuuffff-ffyyyy!

guffaw!

The Crow 10 Apr 2007
Nobody saw anything... right?

RIGHT?
OP CJD 10 Apr 2007
In reply to The Crow:

lol.

I did.
The Fairy Gothmother 11 Apr 2007
In reply to CJD:
Intoler-rants! Those who jump on a thread and rant and rant about how they simply can't tolerate whatever it is (usually top-ropers), no matter how inappropriate their rant is?
 Tony Buckley 11 Apr 2007
In reply to CJD:
> are the good folk of UKC getting more intolerant?

cf tolerance, the permissible range of dimensions (amongst many other meanings), and so intolerance could mean that something exceeds the range of dimensions that we allow.

Perhaps it's principally the dimensions of other people's egos that exceed the allowable limits, and hence cause our finely engineered posting machinery to fail, sometimes catastrophically, with a resultant crashing of gears, exploding of cog wheels and always a final, amusing, 'boooinnnng'.

Or perhaps each of our finely engineered posting machinery would benefit from a regular servicing, to use a phrase open to wide variety of different interpretations...

T.

gingerdave13 11 Apr 2007
In reply to The Crow:
> (In reply to CJD)
> How liberal, I suppose the 'accountant and ramblerism' is understandable and everyone draws the line at gingers don't they...

OI!!!! watch it - i know where you live and have on my payroll a few bounty hunters

> Seriously though I've not noticed a change? What sort of topics made you think we were all becoming so polarised?

perhaps, ish, kinda, maybe, just maybe but i think all the kind hearted folk are keeping a low profile and sticking to the sidelines (or maybe that's just me?) and letting the nasty ones have it out.
Daniel Radnedge 21 Apr 2007
Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis [nyooh-mon-ah-ultra-mike-ro-sc-hop-ik-seal-i-key-knee-oh-sis] noun:
An obscure term ostensibly referring to a lung disease caused by the inhalation of silica dust, sometimes referred to as the longest word in the English language.
(origin; pneumono, ultramicroscopic, silica, volcano, (pneumono)coniosis)
I have a word of the day site with other interesting activities (like a random word generator lol) for those of you who wish to view my site, here's a link http://vocab-wordoftheday.blogspot.com
paraffin 23 Apr 2007
In reply to Daniel Radnedge:
> Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis > An obscure term ostensibly referring to a lung disease caused by the inhalation of silica dust

Daniel,
Shorten term is siliciosis.
not so obscure if you are a miner, foundry worker or heating engineer suffering from this lung disease.

Davie Paraffin

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...