UKC

Bolting and Birds at Malham

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dave Musgrove 10 Apr 2007
I have received a communication from The Yorkshire Dales National Park that 3 climbers were involved in bolt drilling on the upper central wall of Malham Cove on Easter Sunday. They were not within the currently agreed restricted area for climbing but there has long been a voluntary agreement not to drill anywhere on the cove during the Spring and Early Summer during the nesting season.

Relationships are difficult enough with various conservation bodies in the region so please comply with this agreement and wait until July.

If you know who the driller's were please pass on this message.

Dave
OP Dave Musgrove 11 Apr 2007
In reply to Dave Musgrove:

Bump
 sutty 11 Apr 2007

Could someone put a notice on one of the bottom bolts as they approach the routes, then anyone seen on there can take the wrath and be named, or maybe a photo taken of them and stuck on a rogues gallery.
 Neil Conway 11 Apr 2007

Is that what they were doing? I saw them abbing from the top.
Their rope passed a ledge that a peregrine was perched on.
The RSPB had telescopes out for people to watch them.
The bird flew off shortly after one of them started abbing.

Numpties!
 JDDD 11 Apr 2007
In reply to Neil Conway:

> Numpties!

Not sure what to think of that really. I don't think this sort of think is that obvious if you are not tuned into it. I remember thinking when I first started climbing that Earl Crag (my nearest crag) was completely unclimbed. I had no idea about ethics, environmental concerns, access agreements, chipping and all the other offenses the ignorant climber can commit. The trouble is that as soon as someone suggests notices be put up at crags, we hear crys of environmental impact and nannyism. We can't win.
In reply to Jon Dittman:

Yeah, but bolters aren't beginners, as a rule.

At the risk of repeating myself, why is it that bolting activists are so frequently such utter jerks?

jcm
O Mighty Tim 11 Apr 2007
In reply to johncoxmysteriously: They are either blodderers, or indoor climbers originally...
Tends to go with the territory?
In reply to Neil Conway: I was at Malham Sunday for most of the day, and friends were there until it fell dark pretty much.

I saw the guys abbing down the cove in the afternoon, but heard no drilling, whether the two are related i'm not sure, but they were certainly around the area mentioned....

However they didn't look like they were bolting (I may be wrong), just punters abbing down the cove on a busy bank holiday weekend infront of hoards of tourists! Idiots!

Hope thsi doesn't lead to complications with the twitchers! :S
 ste mac 11 Apr 2007

Was also there on sunday, pretty much all day and heard no drilling at all. There were 2 or 3 guys who abbed the whole height of the cliff. They were not climbers, well, not climbing that day anyway, more like cavers complete with headtorches at the ready in the middle of the day. Perhaps this should be pointed out to the authorities.
WEBBO 11 Apr 2007
In reply to O Mighty Tim:
> (In reply to johncoxmysteriously) They are either blodderers, or indoor climbers originally...
> Tends to go with the territory?
looking at your profile it looks like you need to spend a lot more time bouldering nor climbing in side,

OP Dave Musgrove 11 Apr 2007

Thanks for the replies chaps. Most helpful. I've passed the info back to Ian Court at the YDNPA and hope this calms the situation. To be fair to Ian he was acting on a hearsay report from the RSPB people who it now seems may have made assumptions about the drilling if these guys were fully kitted cavers? - although I would have thought their telescopes should have spotted the detail.

Dave
 Michael Ryan 13 Apr 2007
> (In reply to johncoxmysteriously) They are either blodderers, or indoor climbers originally...
> Tends to go with the territory?

That's totally wrong Tim I'm afraid....as is johncoxmysteriously's comments.

Pointing fingers and demonisation is however par for the course when bolts are mentioned.

Mick

UKB Shark 13 Apr 2007
> (In reply to Dave Musgrove)
>
if these guys were fully kitted cavers? - although I would have thought their telescopes should have spotted the detail.
>
Details ? ie They had beards ?

Joking apart, I gather they had helmets with headtorches - not your normal climbing fraternity accessories in full daylight.

They might not have been cavers either - some people abseil for kicks who are neither cavers or climbers.

Simon Caldwell 13 Apr 2007
> although I would have thought their telescopes should have spotted the detail.

If the watchers weren't climbers or cavers they'd probably be hard put to tell the difference. They're all just people with ropes and bits of metal.
In reply to Simon Caldwell: However the 'Drills' or 'sound of drilling' would have been a clue as to whether they were bolting, or just abbing down the cove like punters....
 gingerkate 13 Apr 2007

Tim, you can't seriously think that the guys who've put bolts in yorks limestone over the years are 'blodderers or indoor climbers'???!!! Erm no, I don't think so!!!! If you and Pennie fancy meeting up in the peak sometime to climb, I'll bring my yorkshire guidebooks and you can browse the FA lists and enlighten yourself

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...