UKC

Slide film for Greenland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Heike 19 Apr 2007
We are going to the Arctic (hence a lot of snowy pictures) and are taking a digital and a film camera (compact). Would you take 100, 200 or 400 ASA slidefilm (we usually use fuji sensia).

Any tips would be gratefully received.
In reply to Heike: Something like: mostly 100 for day use and maybe some 400 for moody evening shots and sunsets. Assuming the sun is going to set...? Also a UV filter would be good.
 dek 19 Apr 2007
In reply to Heike: 100 for general day to day whilst not on a route, and 200 for the climbing to help prevent camera shake, being in the shade, one handed operation etc ? Sensia is good, also Kodak VS 100 worth considering.
OP Heike 19 Apr 2007
In reply to dan bailey: ahh, the sun isn't going to set..., but I was hoping to do some of the "low sun in the sky with illuminated tent shot" variety. Cn you get a UV filter for a compact camera? Its a Pentax Espio 105 SW 28-105mm.
OP Heike 19 Apr 2007
In reply to dek: Ok, but then I would have to switch the films over, that might be a bit of fuff in the cold temperatures? Is that what you would do?
 dek 19 Apr 2007
In reply to Heike: Hah! i was assuming you would be camping a few days, (100) then climbing on a (big) route for more days (200) ? Changing film has to be done regardless anyway...
 Mark Bull 19 Apr 2007
In reply to Heike:

Tricky. The light's very bright when the sun's up, so I'd take 100 ASA film. Depending when/where you are going there's a fair chance you'll end up on a route in twilighty conditions at some point. Maybe consider taking some sort of monopod device to allow longer exposures?
 Andy Saxby 19 Apr 2007
In reply to Heike:

When I went to Greenland. I took 200 ASA Fuji which gave excellent results. I would stick with that film for everything don't worry about changes in light as it will be light all the time anyway, although it is brighter in the 'day time’. However when climbing at ‘night’ my partner who wears glasses did not change out of his prescription sunglasses all night! My slides turned out excellently despite Muppet taking them.

My biggest tip would be take plenty of film I normally take 10 rolls of 36 exp for a 3 week trip

Enjoy your trip, where are you going?

Andy
OP Heike 19 Apr 2007
In reply to Mark Bull & Andy Saxby:

Going to the Staunings Alps for four weeks (where did you go?). Will take plenty of film, we have got the digital as well, but I want to take both digi and slides. So, according to all the tips I might take a mixture of 200 & 100. 200 for the climbing and maybe some 100 when we are dragging oour stuff to the next glacial systems.

A monopod might be a good idea, I'll have to see - got to keep weight to a minimum - mind you, they can't be very heavy...?
 dek 19 Apr 2007
In reply to Heike: Might be worth considering one of the more substantial plastic mini tripods if you are taking only 'compact' type cameras? Dont weigh much and you can swivel it around to rest on your chest as monopod?
 Richard Carter 19 Apr 2007
In reply to Heike:

Provia 100F and Proovia 400X - Job done.

The 400X never ceases to amaze me :-P
 Richard Carter 19 Apr 2007
i know you asked about slide film but i should point out that for the higher iso stuff the negative films are pretty damn good. I use Pro 400H in my compact an awful lot and its really good. (I use Pro 160s or 160c as my normal point and shoot film when theres more light)

Andy Saxby 19 Apr 2007
In reply to Heike:
> (In reply to Mark Bull & Andy Saxby)
>
> Going to the Staunings Alps for four weeks (where did you go?).

We went to the Lemmon Mountains in June it was fantastic. Be prepared for really enjoying the dragging kit about, we were dropped 40k from our base camp the skiing with pulks was "enjoyable"

Andy
 TobyA 19 Apr 2007
In reply to Heike: A long time ago I went the Staunings area. I took 100 fuji slide film and despite being a complete beginner at anything other than family snapshot types of photos (I was only 17 when I went) I got some pretty decent shots with my 35mm compact.
 TobyA 19 Apr 2007
In reply to TobyA: I forgot to add my one tip is take enough food! For various reason the group I was with didn't have enough and hunger became a big issue for six weeks!
OP Heike 19 Apr 2007
In reply to TobyA:
Nothing I can do about this now - it has been shipped tthree weeks ago! I am off next Friday. Took ages to assemble and pack (counting calories etc), but we should have enough food to keep us alive - fingers crossed.
OP Heike 19 Apr 2007
In reply to Andy Saxby:
> (In reply to Heike)
> [...]
>
> we were dropped 40k from our base camp the skiing with pulks was "enjoyable"
>
I'll take your word for it!
 Mark Bull 19 Apr 2007
In reply to Heike:

> A monopod might be a good idea

How about one of these: http://www.fieldandtrek.com/product-Uco-Ultrapod-1-H29.htm
You can attach it to an axe or ski pole with the velcro strap. Weighs a massive 57g apparently!
OP Heike 19 Apr 2007
In reply to Mark Bull:
Wow, cool. And I only have to take one Marsbar less....I'll see if I can find this in Tiso. Thanks
 Blue Straggler 19 Apr 2007
In reply to Mark Bull:

Or this
http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_1&products_i...

or this (remove the polypropylene chips and fill it with lentils that you can eat on the last day)
http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=&prod...

though I've not used the former, and with the latter it's more to have something stable to support the camera against a wall or something whilst you are still holding it, that to leave the camera alone for self-timer shots, as it does tend to "settle" when you let go - still, served me well for some night shots in Czech Republic once. And you can fill it with beans or sweets or something
 Mark Bull 19 Apr 2007
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Like the Gorillapod! Looks like it might work OK on an axe.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...