UKC

Basildon where to climb ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Chris Hine 25 Apr 2007
May end up in Basildon for a while. Where do people climb / train in that neck of the woods. Is there anything outdoors.
KevinD 25 Apr 2007
In reply to Chris Hine:
> May end up in Basildon for a while. Where do people climb / train in that neck of the woods. Is there anything outdoors.

there is some stuff in chelmsford
colchester has a wall at essex uni but may be easier to go into london (most likely mile end is closest).

outdoor - nope.
 Bill 08 May 2007
In reply to Chris Hine: Over the summer go to Stubbers Outdoor Education Centre. It's got an outdoor wall, which is fairly good (it has real rock inserts in a brick wall). Use the database on here to find it.

There is also a bouldering wall at one of the leisure centres in Basildon (can't remember where).

Hockley has a wall too, indoors.

There is also a wall at a school somewhere (South Ockendon I think) but you need to have a qualification to use it I think.

And the Southern Sandstone is only about 45 mins away!!

There's also Mile End (as emntioned) or the Castle within an hour if you've got a car! for bouldering Mile End is probably best, but for routes I'd go to the Castle (can be a pani parking though on busy nights)
 hutchm 08 May 2007
In reply to Chris Hine:

There used to be a pretty basic bouldering wall at the Terry Marsh (!) Leisure Centre in Pitsea - don't know if it's still open.

Otherwise Mile End is your nearest decent wall.

No nearby outdoor climbing.
 Bill 09 May 2007
In reply to hutchm: apart from what I mentioned!
 hutchm 09 May 2007
In reply to Bill:

I think 45 mins may be a slightly optimistic claim. You've only got to get up the A13, across the bridge and round about a third of the M25, after all.
 hutchm 09 May 2007
In reply to hutchm:

Oh, and the Terry Marsh Leisure Centre has now reverted to 'The Eversley Centre', presumably in honour of Mr Marsh's colourful legal issues surrounding an attempt on the life of Mr Frank Warren.

http://www.basildon.gov.uk/80256B7C004D0BCB/vWeb/wpAPSY58THQV
 Bill 09 May 2007
In reply to hutchm: Have done it to Harrisons in that time. And without exceeding the speed limit.
Tim Chappell 09 May 2007
In reply to Bill:

Have you tried the search-a-crag facilty on this website? I expect it'll tell you there's bugger all apart from railway bridges until you get to Derbyshire. Or Kent.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...