UKC

Sticky Rubber. How does it work?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Will Hunt 26 Apr 2007
I had a quick search through the archives and although Im sure this asked at least once before I couldnt find it. I figure Ill just ask again and hope noone minds too much.

Anyway. Please explain the topic title with as little reference to quarks etc as possible.
 Glyn Jones 26 Apr 2007
In reply to Will Hunt: there are loads of tiny good bacteria that grasp the rock when the rubber makes contact
 UKC Forums 26 Apr 2007
This thread was started in the DOWN THE PUB forum and has now been moved.
Please could you try and post in the correct forum, it makes life easier for both users and moderators.

Climbing Gear - Post all your climbing gear-related questions here. You know how you love comparing Friends with Camalots!

More Forum descriptions - http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/forums.html
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 26 Apr 2007
In reply to Will Hunt:

Free radicals allegedly - how's your chemistry?

Chris
 JIMBO 26 Apr 2007
In reply to Will Hunt: There are two methods as far as I can remember.
i) Electrostatic effects at the surface: Long chain molecules of rubber have covalent bonds which can cause dipoles to form in sections. This can then have a force of attraction toward similar features in the ionic cristal lattice of the rocks.
ii) Mechanical effects: Stretched rubber when relaxed can ripple and pinch over smaller imperfections on a rough surface and mechanical forces add some 'friction' on which to stand.

Probably not 100% perfect especially on a sub quark string level but not a bad try from memory

JIMBO
 Glyn Jones 26 Apr 2007
In reply to Chris Craggs: or vulcanisation - then again we coul introduce low melting point polymers into the equation.

Therefore we'd have to discuss the merits of linear and branched polymers.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 26 Apr 2007
In reply to Glyn Jones:

or is it hydrogen bonding and Van de Waal's forces?

Chris
 Glyn Jones 26 Apr 2007
In reply to Chris Craggs: I still like the idea that it is very tiny entities holding the rock - bit like the little workmen (what were they called) in Fraggle Rock
 ebygomm 26 Apr 2007
In reply to Glyn Jones:
> - bit like the little workmen (what were they called) in Fraggle Rock

Doozers!

Squirrel Bill 26 Apr 2007
In reply to Will Hunt:

Micro tread
OP Will Hunt 26 Apr 2007
In reply to all:

AAAAAAHHHHHHH!

If only it was biology, geography or ICT related. I can do them.
 adam carless 26 Apr 2007
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Very dim memory this, but I think it's Van de Waals bonds you break when the rubber tears due to crystals cutting through the surface - tearing the chains apart from each other rather than breaking the chains.

Less scientifically, the rubber sticks in at least 2 ways:
1. The tiny nobbles/crystals in the rock dig in and deform the rubber, so both surfaces are mechanically locked together
2. The rubber itself has a high friction factor, so even on smooth surfaces it has quite a lot of grip due to the weak chemical bonds the rubber forms with the other surface

There is also a 5th fundamental force which helps the rubber stick - belief. I don't think they've found a carrier for it yet, but it definitely exists, and without it the rubber is much less sticky.
 John Holden 26 Apr 2007
In reply to Will Hunt:

Its rubber and its sticky....'nuff said.
barrabus 27 Apr 2007
In reply to Will Hunt:

Magic...!
barrabus 27 Apr 2007
In reply to barrabus:

Or is it....

By The Power Of 5.10....!?!
 Al Evans 27 Apr 2007
In reply to barrabus: Actually it does not work, its just a myth, I've never found it any better than old PA's, EB's.
Its just complete bullshit after you have done one move off the floor, you might as well say Formula 1 tyres are sticky!
 Bruce Hooker 27 Apr 2007
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to barrabus) Actually it does not work, its just a myth, I've never found it any better than old PA's, EB's.

This is the impression I have - neither of the two pairs I've bought of late seem any better than PAs, and I remember EBs as being better. On top of that the old shoes protected your ankles better, I'm always taking the skin off mine with these low cut shoes.

Perhaps mine aren't sticky rubber, although they are both well known makes?

jkarran 27 Apr 2007
In reply to Al Evans:

> ...you might as well say Formula 1 tyres are sticky!

Er... most race tyres I've handled have been pretty damn sticky, I assume F1 tyres are similar. Am I missing something there Al?

jk
 petellis 27 Apr 2007
In reply to jkarran: aye, i've left finger dents in some racing rubber cos it was so soft, or is this a case of he veil over the sarcasm being more of a wooly jumper?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...