UKC

Stanage Ticks and Lyme disease

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 stp 23 May 2007
Just noticed a section in the new Stanage guide on Lyme disease and ticks. This is the first time I've ever heard of these little swines hanging out at Stanage and I've never seen or heard of anyone getting ticks there. I presume this is a fairly recent development.

Anyone had any ticks there? When are they out at Stanage? How bad does it get? Are folk sticking to long ketts there now and avoiding shorts?
 Offwidth 23 May 2007
In reply to stp:

Ticks are not uncommon in the Peak District (I got one last week at Baslow). Not sure if anyone has investigated the proportion that carry the disease. Around May is the time to be most careful: check your body after a day on the crag.
 Sandstonier 24 May 2007
In reply to stp: ithink you stand more chance of a bite fromthe stanage boggart than a tick.
 GarethSL 24 May 2007
In reply to stp: i had a tick in my armpit once, wasnt at stanage was southern ireland, thank god i had a vet with me as i wouldnt ha' known:P 'woof'
aneto 24 May 2007
In reply to stp:
I got LD from a tick in the Higlands. 2 weeks later on antibiotics symptoms gone thankfully. Worth being VERY careful they r on the increase nationally.

http://www.masta-travel-health.com/tickalert/
Benjii 24 May 2007
In reply to stp:

oo thanks for the warning, might be heading up that way soon.
 lost1977 24 May 2007
In reply to stp:

major problems with ticks at stanage i would suggest people avoid the area (especially at the weekend)

to be on the safe side just avoid the whole peak district area
 IMA 24 May 2007
In reply to stp: remember dont just rip ticks off use a pair of tweezers or something and ply them off
OP stp 24 May 2007
In reply to aneto:

Interesting site. Hadn't heard of Tick Borne Encephalitis (TBE) before. And there I was thinking lyme disease was the worst thing they spread.

Anyway according to the Tick Alert info there's no lyme disease in Derbyshire (yet). But with global warming I guess it's only a matter of time before we get that and TBE.

I got Colorado Tick fever once a long time ago from climbing at Rifle. Pretty much like the flu really. Also got covered in ticks in the highlands from a day's cragging which we found on our bodies the next day.

BTW Another interesting thing Tick Alert says is to remove ticks with tweezers without twisting.
 marie 24 May 2007
In reply to stp: There was also an interesting article in the Pharmaceutical Journal a couple of weeks ago. Gave info about the correct removal of ticks and treatment of Lymes Disease. I don't think it really said anything we don't already know though - but I read it just in case!
 cas smerdon 24 May 2007
In reply to marie:

I picked up a tick on Monday climbing in a Somerset quarry wearing full length trousers and long sleeved jacket. Pulled it off in shower thinking it was spot of blood and saw legs wriggling! Looks like I was lucky enough to get it out in one piece. Yuk!!!!
 marie 24 May 2007
In reply to cas smerdon: I managed to pick up 13 or 14 of the little blighters a couple of years ago whilst doing the LAMM...

I was a right mess by the time I'd tried to tweezer them out... and then pull the heads out that had split from the bodies using the point of a needle :oS
 Mike C 24 May 2007
In reply to marie:
Hi Marie
I picked up a gadget from a local petshop ecently that is like a tight wire loop/hook for pulling them out. I'd like to say that I'm itching to give it a go, but really I'm hoping it stays in it's packet!
Mike
 marie 24 May 2007
In reply to Mike C: Yeah, I've heard about them!

TBH, I was surprised that the PJ did not mention these at all, and recommended the removal of ticks with blunt ended tweezers...
 Mike C 24 May 2007
In reply to marie:
If & when I'll let you know how they work!
Paul F 24 May 2007
In reply to Mike C:
Brought two dogs back from the lakes a couple of weeks ago covered in 20+ ticks each.
The gizmo from the vets was quite effective in removing them.
mhariclaire 24 May 2007
In reply to stp:

I was taught to burn them out with a just blown out match head. Not saying it's the best method, but a method nonetheless.
Paul F 24 May 2007
In reply to mhariclaire:

apparently this causes them to regurgitate.
 Si dH 25 May 2007
In reply to stp:
Ive seen them at Burbage, but dont think Ive ever had one myself - or at least if I have then Ive just brushed or picked it off without realising what it was. Good to hear the ones in the peak dont carry anythign very nasty at the moment.
 ando227 25 May 2007
In reply to ruckman: I would think again if i were you!
Ticks are prevalent in moorland and woodland areas. their normal hosts are mammals and birds but they will take a blood meal from humans too. I caught ld from infected tick and for many years it has made me very ill and prevented me from doing what i was able to before in the hills. Could go on and on about it but for more info visit www.bada-uk.org
dont worry if you get bitten, just worry if you get a rash or flu like symptoms within a few weeks of it.
 ando227 25 May 2007
In reply to Paul F: use the same gizmo to remove them from yourself too. or tweezers.
never burn them or put vaseline on them. it makes them sick their stomach contents back into you which gives greater chance of infection.
 ando227 25 May 2007
In reply to Si dH: don't be certain that the ticks their don't carry anything nasty. its just not all ticks are infected!
mhariclaire 25 May 2007
In reply to Paul F:

ick! Thanks for letting me know.
 alan wilson 25 May 2007
In reply to Mike C: bought one of those last week, as one of our cats is always getting ticked...it was useless...back to tweezers then. sorry.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...