UKC

Andy Cave and Ex-champ, Simon Nadin on the telly!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tom Briggs 23 May 2007
Author, Mountain Guide and Raver, Andy Cave and Ex-British Champion, Simon Nadin will appear on BBC2's Coast series on Sunday 3 June at 8pm. Presented by Neil Oliver (Dave Macleod's older brother? - see link in event item), this will be the first of the BAFTA award winning series 2.
 punter 23 May 2007
In reply to Tom, UKC News Editor:

Cheers Tom.

I'm curious to see Simon Nadin, who to my mind wasn't widely enough recognised for some of the stuff he did (rock-hard routes in the '70s etc). Can't remember the name of the E7 he did at the Roaches, description of which in the guide runs something like "blind, slappy bouldering moves in positions of extreme danger..."
> Author, Mountain Guide and Raver, Andy Cave

Should that not read: Author, Mountain Guide and Raver, Dr Andy Cave

some people are good at everything
 Tyler 23 May 2007

> Dave Macleod's older brother?

Dodgy hair cut - check
Dodgy jumper - check
Slightly camp hand on hip pose - where did that come from?
Sir Edmund 23 May 2007
In reply to punter:
> (In reply to Tom, UKC News Editor)
>
> Cheers Tom.
>
> I'm curious to see Simon Nadin, who to my mind wasn't widely enough recognised for some of the stuff he did (rock-hard routes in the '70s etc).

80's

John2 23 May 2007
In reply to Sir Edmund: Around 20 years ago my mate and I were roping up under Dead Banana Crack at Stoney. A scrawny schoolkid who looked about 15 years old turned up and said, 'Do you mind if I have a quick look at it?'

We thought he literally meant a look, and were somewhat taken about when he leaped onto the route and soloed up it, not even pausing at the crux. This was a 15 year old Simon Nadin.

We both failed on the route.

Sir Edmund 24 May 2007
In reply to John2:
> (In reply to Sir Edmund) Around 20 years ago my mate and I were roping up under Dead Banana Crack at Stoney. A scrawny schoolkid who looked about 15 years old turned up and said, 'Do you mind if I have a quick look at it?'
>
> We thought he literally meant a look, and were somewhat taken about when he leaped onto the route and soloed up it, not even pausing at the crux. This was a 15 year old Simon Nadin.
>
> We both failed on the route.

20 years ago would be 1987.
In 1987 Simon was about 22/23 He went on to win the world Cup in 1989.

He was probably capable of soloing DBC in 1980.

He was still at school in 1980 I believe. Though he was climbing pretty remarkable stuff, even at that time.
I don't think he started putting up the new routes he should be better known for until '81 or '82, many with Richard Davies.

I have watched them (Simon and Richard) training at Buxton wall on many occaisions and also out at Raven Tor. I even got dragged up a few gritstone routes by them from time to time.

I may be a year out, but I'm fairly confident. If I am out, it is no more than a year.

John2 24 May 2007
In reply to Sir Edmund: I did say 'around 20 years ago' - I'm pretty hazy as to the exact date. I had heard of him from the climbing magazines at the time - he was already putting up E5s and E6s at the Roaches.

I saw him climb on a few occasions around that time - he was probably the most effortless climber that I ever saw in action.
Sir Edmund 24 May 2007
In reply to John2:

Aye that'll be 1980-1982 ish then.

Don't that make you feel old???

;~)))
 Dave Garnett 24 May 2007
In reply to John2:

I am advised that he's still into impressive walls, but it's dry stone walls!
Sir Edmund 24 May 2007
In reply to Dave Garnett:
> (In reply to John2)
>
> I am advised that he's still into impressive walls, but it's dry stone walls!

Expand please!

:~)
 John2 24 May 2007
In reply to Sir Edmund: It does indeed make me feel old. However, it's reassuring to know that in a turbulent world some things remain the same - I failed on DBC again last bank holiday.
Sir Edmund 24 May 2007
In reply to John2:

Funny that, I never got up i in the 2 or 3 goes I had!
 Glyn Jones 24 May 2007
In reply to punter: one of these?

E76b B4XS (1986)
E76c Dangerous Corcodile Snogging (1990)
E76c Parrallologism (1987)
E76c Mindbridge (1986)
joan cooper 24 May 2007
My husband was a teacher at Simons school in Buxon and still says when his name comes up " I wonder if he remembers me introducing him to rocks " I wonder if he does!!!!!!!
Sir Edmund 24 May 2007
In reply to joan cooper: Morning Mum!
 Dave Garnett 24 May 2007
In reply to Sir Edmund:

He's now a master dry stone waller.
Sir Edmund 24 May 2007
In reply to Dave Garnett:

Got a contact?

I've one in my garden needs sorting.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...