UKC

Peak, Peaks, Peak, Peaks, Peak, Peaks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Al Evans 01 Jun 2007
Please can you all get this right once and for all, its The Peak District, or The Peak, never has been never will be The Peaks.
It doesn't have a single peak in it, it's nothing to do with peaks, unlike The Lakes, which has lots of lakes, and even some peaks.
The high point in the Peak District is a slight bump in the Kinderscout plateau at 2088 ft as I remember, you would be hard pushed to discern the difference to the surrounding plateau unless you are a capable navigator.

The reason it is called The Peak District has nothing to do with peaks, yes a hobby horse, but I would like people to get it right and not irritate me with a meaningless missuse of a well loved name. What if you called it Yorkshires, or Manchesters or Sheffields? GET IT RIGHT, please.
 Michael Ryan 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Al Evans:

Can someone just give that record player a kick? I think it's stuck.
 Glyn Jones 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: I thought it was the Lake District as it only has one lake.
 newhey 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Al Evans:

Chrome Hill is quite a nice peak, and so is Win Hill. There are two of them which makes it the Peaks
OP Al Evans 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: The player is not stuck, only the people that refuse to give the area its correct name, and Glyn, you are justified in calling The Lakes, The Lakes, even though they are mostly meres they are similar, but the Peak has no peaks.
OP Al Evans 01 Jun 2007
In reply to newhey: No they don't, and they are not peaks, they are hills.
 DougG 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Al Evans:

What's this, a fit of pique?
 newhey 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Al Evans:

You may feel the need to edit this Al

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_peaks_of_the_Peak_District
 Michael Ryan 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com) The player is not stuck

Thousands would beg to differ.....climbers all over the UK now call it the "Peaks " just to wind you up Al. And when they say it, they think of you!

You are honoured.
 Michael Ryan 01 Jun 2007
In reply to newhey:
> (In reply to Al Evans)
>
> You may feel the need to edit this Al
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_peaks_of_the_Peak_District

My goodness have you seen all those peaks in the Peaks?

I never knew there were so many.
 The Pylon King 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Al Evans:
> The reason it is called The Peak District has nothing to do with peaks

Why is it called the Peak District then?
 Fiend 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Al Evans:

Topic of the decade. This should be a Premier Post. Or even an article.
 sutty 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Al Evans:

got the continuous loop player going again, is this not a peak?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/07/Parkhouse_hill.jpg...
 Ewan_B 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Al Evans:

peak /pik/ –noun

1. the pointed top of a mountain or ridge.
2. a mountain with a pointed summit.
3. the pointed top of anything.

Parkhouse knoll seems to be doing a pretty good impression in the wikipedia entry?
 Burns 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Al Evans:

Wendys?
 tlm 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Al Evans:

But why does it wind you up so much? If I did call it Manchesters, who am I harming? No one will die, everyone will know what I am talking about and the WORST thing that can happen is that people will think that I speak a bit oddley....

Also - there will ALWAYS be someone, somewhere calling it the Peaks. You know that you will never be able to stop this from happening.

So - you can either keep on getting wound up by it, and keep on trying to correct everyone elses way of speaking....

OR

You could just not worry about it any more. (but I think that you secretly quite enjoy the stress and worry, and correcting other people???)
 doz generale 01 Jun 2007
In reply to The Pylon King:
> (In reply to Al Evans)
> [...]
>
>
> Why is it called the Peak District then?

it's named after a guy that used to own it all in the stone age . His name was pete but over the years its changed to peak so in reality it should be the pete district
 woolsack 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Al Evans: You must be Al Evan then?
 BelleVedere 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:
> (In reply to Al Evans)
> Thousands would beg to differ.....climbers all over the UK now call it the "Peaks " just to wind you up Al. And when they say it, they think of you!

Indeed - someone tells me i can't do something - makes me want to do it out of badness
daisy may (or may not!) 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Al Evans:

What does it really matter? especially as I know locals who say they live in the Peaks
 ericinbristol 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Al Evan:

Subtle, eh?
Nao 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Al Evans:

Now that you've drawn attention to this in such a way, I'll be sure to remember to call it The Peaks in future.

Oops! <slaps forehead>
johnj 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Al Evans: areas, the dark peak and white peak, two peaks collectively known as the peak district, the peak or the peaks, really you should get out a little more
In reply to woolsack:
> (In reply to Al Evans) You must be Al Evan then?

Note to self: read thread before posting (I came up with this a few posts later... soz)

XXXX 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Al Evans:

Do you get annoyed by people saying Tescos aswell?

In reply to Al Evans:

We'd all better watch in case he tells us all to pis off.
 woolsack 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Eric Herring: Actually it must be All Evans, there is clearly a number of cyber clones in order to post at all hours of the day

Serpico 01 Jun 2007
From Wikipedia:
"Theories as to the derivation of the Peak District name include the idea that it came from the Pecsaetan or peaklanders, an Anglo Saxon tribe who inhabited the central and northern parts of the area from the 6th century AD when it fell within the large Anglian kingdom of Mercia."
If this is correct then so is Al.
 BelleVedere 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Serpico:

ah but that says theories - then only has one
 marie 01 Jun 2007
In reply to es: I remember visiting this topic some time ago and the wiki pages do have other 'theories' on where the Peak District got its name...

I just can't be arsed to look for them again this time :oS
 Chris Sansum 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Al Evans:

On a different note, has anyone been to the Brecons recently?
Serpico 01 Jun 2007
In reply to es:
But Al was there at the time so he'll know best.
 thomasadixon 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Serpico:

Wouldn't that make it the Peak's District?
In reply to thomasadixon:
> Wouldn't that make it the Peak's District?

You young whippersnappers have no idea how to punctuate. It would be the Peaks' District, or Peaks' for short.

Ian McNeill 01 Jun 2007

Its has beens re-nameds thes Peaks Districts natrionals parks

tos keeps everyones happys
Serpico 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Eric Herring:
Peaks' as in district belonging to, or of the Peaks is a compromise I'm sure everyone would be happy with.
 Glyn Jones 01 Jun 2007
Found this on Peak District National Park FAQ

Some would say that the name is a completely modern invention and the phrase 'Peak District' is 20th century.

However, the area was occupied in the 7th century AD by an Anglo-Saxon tribe called the Peacsaetna - meaning 'dwellers of the peak'. This is thought to be the earliest known naming of the area as the Peak or Peaks.

In 1636 Thomas Hobbes wrote the first guide to the region - called ‘The Seven Wonders of the Peak’.

So 'Peak District' is a formalisation of 'Peak'.

OP Al Evans 01 Jun 2007
> (In reply to Al Evans)
> [...]
>
>
> Why is it called the Peak District then?
Because the legend is it was inhabited by a tribe called The Pics, They had a battle over Win Hill and Lose Hill, the Pics on Win Hill won, I think thats a good enough reason to respect the name and not bastardise it into Peaks, for all the wrong reasons.

Anonymous 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Al Evans:

We refer to it as the Peaks all the time.
Even you cant deny that.

Mokkel
 seagull 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Serpico:

Except Al.
OP Al Evans 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Eric the Red:
> (In reply to Al Evans)
>
> Do you get annoyed by people saying Tescos aswell?

I probably would if I worked at Tesco's, except that you could say Tesco's for something that belonged to Tesco, buty you can't, or don't use that for THE PEAK DISTRICT. I don't mind being wound up if the message finally gets through to people.

OP Al Evans 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Anonymous:
> (In reply to Al Evans)
>
>
> We refer to it as the Peaks all the time.
> Even you cant deny that.
>
> Mokkel

Yes I can, and you are wrong, most sensible people refer to it as The Peak.
 marie 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to Anonymous)
> [...]
>
>
> Yes I can, and you are wrong, most sensible people refer to it as The Peak.

I've only ever heard you refer to it as The Peak!

Are you the *only* sensible person?
In reply to Al Evans:
> Because the legend is it was inhabited by a tribe called >The Pics, I think thats a good enough reason to respect >the name and not bastardise it into Peaks

Wait a minute. You should be demanding that we all call it the Pics and not bastardising and altering it into the Peak. At least Peaks is closer to Pics than Peak.

Serpico 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Al Evans:
How about "The Peaks's"?
 seagull 01 Jun 2007

Ha ha. Class.

This thread is feckin funny. It should be titled....

"I HAVE FAR TOO MUCH TIME ON MY HANDS"

; )
 Glyn Jones 01 Jun 2007
In reply to All: Hang on, hang on, hang on - shouldn't typical UKC rules apply - no one can comment as to whether it is Peak or Peaks unless they have climbed all of them?
Anonymous 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Al Evans:

So your denying that were calling it the Peaks?

Is it ok with you btw that people call me Mokkel and not Mikkel?

OP Al Evans 01 Jun 2007
In reply to seagull: Why is it so difficult, just call it it's proper name ??????????????????????????
OP Al Evans 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Glyn Jones:
> (In reply to All) Hang on, hang on, hang on - shouldn't typical UKC rules apply - no one can comment as to whether it is Peak or Peaks unless they have climbed all of them?

There aren't any. besides it doesn't matter doesn't such a superb area deserve the respect of being called by its proper name ?????????
johnj 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Al Evans: why is it its proper name, somebody makes something up 100 years later, people say this is it name, its always been called that.... er... really
 marie 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Al Evans: According to Glyn's post, calling it Peak *or* Peaks is right
In reply to seagull:
>It should be titled....
>
> "I HAVE FAR TOO MUCH TIME ON MY HANDS"

In my case it should be titled 'I have a piece of work that I REALLY need to be getting on with urgently but can't quite face it'

OP Al Evans 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Anonymous:
> (In reply to Al Evans)
>
> So your denying that were calling it the Peaks?
>
> Is it ok with you btw that people call me Mokkel and not Mikkel?

Don't give a shit, I don't know you, I do know The Peak however.
Serpico 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Glyn Jones:
But it's Peak as in Pic not hill.
OP Al Evans 01 Jun 2007
In reply to marie:
> (In reply to Al Evans) According to Glyn's post, calling it Peak *or* Peaks is right

It's not.
 Glyn Jones 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Al Evans: Lest you forget - the Peak District has two areas Dark Peak and White Peak with little bumps that are called hills.
 blueshound 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Al Evans:

"Peaks" just sounds better though.
In reply to Al Evans:

> It's not.

What a great argument. Wish I'd thought of that.

johnj 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Glyn Jones: i'd mentioned this glyn two peak areas could not be called the peak, could they?
 marie 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Al Evans:

> (In reply to Al Evans) According to Glyn's post, calling it Peak *or* Peaks is right

It's not.

So now you are saying that the Peak District National Park official website FAQ section is wrong???
 Glyn Jones 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to marie)
> [...]
>
>
> It's not.

so the Peak District National Park website is incorrect?

Can I forward your email addy to them so they can get their facts straight?
 Horse 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Ewan_B:

Or a corruption of the old Anglo Saxon world Peacsaetna an Anglo Saxon tribe who lived in The Peak. Where is Gordon Stainforth when we need him.
 marie 01 Jun 2007
In reply to marie: This argument reminds me of the time I was at school and I swore blind that Blondies real name was Parallel Lines...
 Glyn Jones 01 Jun 2007
In reply to johnj: Hmmmm, dark peak and white peak are a pair of peak?

Dark peak and white peak are a pair of peaks?

Surely it is the first?
 Glyn Jones 01 Jun 2007
In reply to marie:
> (In reply to marie) This argument reminds me of the time I was at school and I swore blind that Blondies real name was Parallel Lines...

Nah, that was just the state of her knickers
johnj 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Glyn Jones: so you would see a fit girl and go look at the tit on that would you?
Jamming Dodger 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Al Evans: Oh shut up, you pedantic old git
OP Al Evans 01 Jun 2007
In reply to marie: Yes, its corrupted by time, and by idiots like on here who will eventually kill the proper name, personally I think thats sad, and I will fight to preserve it in my own small way.
I think tradition and legend is important, all may not agree, but preserving the name Peak District is one we should be able to win, it costs nobody anything to use the correct name, and I will certainly be on to the National Park if they do otherwise.
 Glyn Jones 01 Jun 2007
In reply to johnj:
> (In reply to Glyn Jones) so you would see a fit girl and go look at the tit on that would you?

if she was an alien with only one breast - yes!
Bogsy 01 Jun 2007
In reply to blueshound:
> (In reply to Al Evans)
>
> "Peaks" just sounds better though.

It's just a matter of proper English grammar ....
One Foot, Two Feet,
One Sheep, Two Sheep,
One Peak .... Two Peaks Q.E.D!
Bogsy 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Glyn Jones:
> (In reply to johnj)
> [...]
>
> if she was an alien with only one breast - yes!

After how many recounts?

OP Al Evans 01 Jun 2007
In reply to skydivingbluecat:
> (In reply to Al Evans) Oh shut up, you pedantic old git

Thats a pedantic old git talking, can we not have causes? Personally I think its a valid cause to preserve an old name rather than let some idiots who are not even thinking about it win, as I said before, how many Sheffields do you know?
OP Al Evans 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Bogsy:
> (In reply to blueshound)
> [...]
>
>
> It's just a matter of proper English grammar ....
> One Foot, Two Feet,
> One Sheep, Two Sheep,
> One Peak .... Two Peaks Q.E.D!

There is only one Peak District though, what is your point?
 marie 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Al Evans: Do you want to bring back the use of the old English language too? You know, it's tradition and its legend is important and so should be preserved...

It costs nobody anything to speak it correctly...

I think it's called progression, development and change... times they are a changing (and there is nowt anyone can do about it!)

johnj 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Glyn Jones:

maybe al lives on mars he sees pics or whatever it was called and reads peak, in those days did they even have the a-z alphabet or is it another rough translation... actually now i remember those girls on mars had three breasts, well they did on total recall
 marie 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Al Evans: Oh, and if we are talking about preserving old names...

Bring back Persia
Bring back Constantinople
Bogsy 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to Bogsy)
> [...]
>
> There is only one Peak District though, what is your point?

One Peak District comprising how many Peaks?

Ergo, collectively "The Peaks" ... that's me point
Serpico 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Bogsy: But as already pointed out the Peak in Peak District does not refer to hills but to the Peak tribe who lived there.
 Glyn Jones 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to skydivingbluecat)
> [...]
>
> Thats a pedantic old git talking, can we not have causes? Personally I think its a valid cause to preserve an old name rather than let some idiots who are not even thinking about it win, as I said before, how many Sheffields do you know?

Sheffield UK and Sheffield Texas USA

A pair of Sheffields I do believe
OP Al Evans 01 Jun 2007
In reply to marie:
> (In reply to Al Evans) Oh, and if we are talking about preserving old names...
>
> Bring back Persia
> Bring back Constantinople

Marie, you know that is completely different, we have here a functioning area that has a modern name, the people trying to change it are ignoramousess who are just doing it by mistake, it needs pointing out and correcting.
 Glyn Jones 01 Jun 2007
In reply to johnj:
> (In reply to Glyn Jones)
>
> actually now i remember those girls on mars had three breasts, well they did on total recall

Aye, one for each hand!
 nikinko 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Al Evans:
> except that you could say Tesco's for something that belonged to Tesco, buty you can't, or don't use that for THE PEAK DISTRICT.

so what do you say if something belongs to the peak district? One of the peak's best climbing areas is Stanage for example?

surely the peaks who lived in the peak are plural, therefore shouldn't we say that the peaks' made their home in the peak, both the dark and white peaks. We could then go on to say that collectively the peaks' best climbing is on grit and limestone.

Anonymous 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to marie)
the people trying to change it are ignoramousess

beats beeing upuranusess like you
In reply to Al Evans:

If names of things shouldn't be messed about with, how come you are calling yourself 'Al'. Bet your proper name is 'Alan' or 'Alastair' or sommat.

Anyway, in 50 years' time, the 'proper' name for the Peaks will indeed be the Peaks, then some not sensible people will get it wrong and start calling it 'the Peak' and pedants will then start complaining that they are changing the name.
In reply to Al Evans:

And what about my earlier point:

> You should be demanding that we all call it the Pics and > not bastardising and altering it into the Peak. At least > aks is closer to Pics than Peak.

I reckon you didn't respond cos you know I've got you bang to rights contradicting yourself.
 steve456 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Glyn Jones:
> Sheffield UK and Sheffield Texas USA
>
> A pair of Sheffields I do believe

There used to be one in India too, was named so that they could make 'Sheffield Steel'. Didn't last long though.

And Al, touché on "The Lakes [sic]"; Glyn is right, everyone knows Bassenthwaite Lake is the only lake in the Lakes'.
Chris Tan Ver. XLIX SP2 01 Jun 2007
In reply to marie:

> Bring back Persia

It would be unwise to do that. Lord knows where the merkin bombs and missles will end up!

BTW it's Peak!
OP Al Evans 01 Jun 2007
In reply to steve456:
> And Al, touché on "The Lakes [sic]"; Glyn is right, everyone knows Bassenthwaite Lake is the only lake in the Lakes'.

I already agreed to that if you read the thread.
Once they decide to put it on the map as The Peaks, I will concede, but hopefully it will never happen.
Al Evans wrote:

> The Peaks, I concede

Hey, we won!

Profanisaurus Rex 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to marie)
> [...]
> the people trying to change it are ignoramousess

That's ignoramuses or ignoramii

Profanisaurus Rex 01 Jun 2007
> (In reply to Al Evans)
>
> Bet your proper name is 'Alan'

More likely Anal...
 foulis 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Al Evans:

Why not call the area Henry, thats a nice old fashioned name, and can be used to represent both male and female gender, so isn't even sexist. It makes as much sense as arguing over a letter
 Horse 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Bogsy:

The name is not derived from one peak or two peaks as in hills but a single ancient tribe, therefore it is singular as in Peak.
In reply to Masood:

> More likely Anal...

like it...

> like it...

er, I mean, I like the witticism.... !

Glyn Jones 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Horse:
> (In reply to Bogsy)
>
> The name is not derived from one peak or two peaks as in hills but a single ancient tribe, therefore it is singular as in Peak.

So there was only one cavedude in the tribe?

Him being a Pic and if he had mates they'd be Pics?
 Glyn Jones 01 Jun 2007
> (In reply to Eric Herring)
>
> [...]
>
> er, I mean, I like the witticism.... !

bummer, had a brill riposte for you!
 doz generale 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Glyn Jones:
> (In reply to Horse)
> [...]
>
> So there was only one cavedude in the tribe?
>
> Him being a Pic and if he had mates they'd be Pics?

should it be the Peak's District then?
 Glyn Jones 01 Jun 2007
In reply to doz generale:
> [...]
>
>
> should it be the Peak's District then?

take your Pic!
 Fredt 01 Jun 2007
In reply to everyone:

Please stop it, it's like watching a happy-slapping video.

Al, it annoys the hell out of me too, but I just think, well, might as well accept there are thick people, and I just try to retain an attitude of smug superiority, like I do when I see top-ropers, binge drinkers, 4Wdrivers and mountain bikers on footpaths.
 Glyn Jones 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Fredt: quite a wide footpath then?
 foulis 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Fredt:

It's evolution pic-peak-peaks, it's what the english language does
Simon22 01 Jun 2007
In reply to foulis:

So next week it could be called The Peacock District........
 Glyn Jones 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Simon22: or the Trough District?
 Tiggs 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Glyn Jones: Lots of info on this thread

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=104198

In reply to Glyn Jones:
> or the Trough District?

Troughs - get it right!

Glyn Jones 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Tiggs: but it comes down to Gordon's reply of - This theory re the Peak District name is not quite right, actually. 'Pecsaetan' means the (Anglo-Saxon) 'Settlers of the Pec', the Celtic name for the area we now call the Peak. And, contrary to what some pundits claim, Peak does mean 'pointy/peaked' and has exactly the same derivation as the word Pic in Europe (eg. the Pyrennees and France). Also a whole lot of other anglo-saxon and norse words have a similar origin eg. pick, peck, pike, spike, prick, beak.

So you lot are all wrong - it is the Pec District or to shorten it The Pecs!!!

(love the idea of The Prick District - but I believe people from Sheffield bagged that name!)
In reply to Fredt:
> (In reply to everyone)
>
> Please stop it

That'll work...
 doz generale 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Glyn Jones:

or peakzone area sponsored by tescos
Anonymous 01 Jun 2007
In reply to doz generale:

a
 marie 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Tiggs:
> (In reply to Glyn Jones) Lots of info on this thread
>
> http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=104198
>
>

From that thread:

by - marie on - 20 Oct 2004
In reply to Tiggs: 100

It's good to see I'm consistent with unhelpful postings...
soveda@work 01 Jun 2007
> (In reply to seagull)
> >It should be titled....
> [...]
>
> In my case it should be titled 'I have a piece of work that I REALLY need to be getting on with urgently but can't quite face it'

That's what all my posts are!
Bogsy 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Serpico:
Ahhhh, always did need a while to catch up

So, did these Pict fellas all have the family name of Pete?
 graeme jackson 01 Jun 2007
> (In reply to thomasadixon)
> [...]
>
> You young whippersnappers have no idea how to punctuate. It would be the Peaks' District, or Peaks' for short.
Both are correct in fact...
http://www.apostrophe.fsnet.co.uk/

Chris.Allott 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Al Evans:

In deference to the great one I suggest a subtle name change then....

How about "The Pique"

I'm off to Whales then...
 woolsack 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Chris.Allott: Careful: fit of peak
 mickwood 01 Jun 2007
I live here....so I can call it whatever I choose!

Welcome to the Peaks XXX
 Glyn Jones 01 Jun 2007
In reply to mickwood: Hola! Como estas mi amiga?
Yorkspud 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Al Evans:

Trouble is Al that by now The Peaks, as popular usage, has legitamcy as an alternative name for the Peak.
 mark reeves Global Crag Moderator 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Al Evans: Ohh! Not been to the peaks for ages, I must head over!

Got to climb Mount Snowdon first!
 Michael Ryan 01 Jun 2007
In reply to mark reeves:
> (In reply to Al Evans)
> Got to climb Mount Snowdon first!

Them Snowdon Peaks are grand!

Glyn Jones 01 Jun 2007
In reply to mark reeves: You gonna do the east face via the Piggy Track route?
 Tufas Mum 01 Jun 2007
In reply to mark reeves:

How many routes in Hard Rock are in The Peaks?

Sam :0)
In reply to Tufas Mum: too many.

mark reeves Global Crag Moderator 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Glyn Jones: No not this time I am gonna take that minors route, before heading over lewid.
 Trangia 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Al Evans:

Why are the Downs called that when they go up, not down?
 Tufas Mum 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

Good as the boys have only put "2 days in the Peaks" on the flowchart!

Sam
 Glyn Jones 01 Jun 2007
In reply to mark reeves: As you are going through the slate quarries bolting away can I ask you a question?

Where is the bus in the first quarry you get to after Deiniolen
 earlsdonwhu 01 Jun 2007

>
> Do you get annoyed by people saying Tescos aswell?

And then there's Marks and Spencer!

craig d 01 Jun 2007
Al am i allowed to call it "The Peak" as i have done for the last 25 years i have been climbing there?
 Glyn Jones 01 Jun 2007
In reply to craig d: depends - are you from the original pict tribe?
OP Al Evans 01 Jun 2007
In reply to craig d: Why ever not?
johnj 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Al Evans: why do you have a hard on about this issue anyway? after you've failed to make anything any different in fact i think more people will now call it the peaks all because of you, good job
 pep 01 Jun 2007
In reply to johnj:

Had a lovley day up t'peaks today!
 Simon 01 Jun 2007
In reply to pep:
> (In reply to johnj)
>
> Had a lovley day up t'peaks today!

Cairngorms? Langdales? Glen Coe's, Milton Keynes???

;0)
 MttSnr 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Al Evans:

Al, do us a favour. If you remove "Everest" from your profile and replace it with Chomolungma, I'll starting calling it the Peak and not the Peaks.
 Ropeboy 01 Jun 2007
In reply to :

Peak district.... NOT Peaks.

J
 BelleVedere 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Al Evans:
> [...]
>
besides it doesn't matter doesn't such a superb area deserve the respect of being called by its proper name ?????????

From now on i will refer to it as the kingdom of fife
 mike123 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Al Evans:
once again Al, I m with you. not that it matters one jot but i was born and grew up there. It the "the peak district" (says so on every sign) and hence "the peak" The only place its refered to as the peaks is on here, thats in internet land (a strange and wierd place), it used to vaguely irritate me, but now i prefer to ignore these references, as ill informed.
 Michael Ryan 01 Jun 2007
In reply to mike123:
> (In reply to Al Evans)

> in internet land (a strange and wierd place)

........Just like the 'real' world then
 mickwood 01 Jun 2007
In reply to mike123:

> The only place its refered to as the peaks is on here, thats in internet land (a strange and wierd place)

Oh I beg to differ old boy...I have always, still do, and will forever more refer to it as the Peaks. eg 'Matt fancy heading out to the Peaks tonight'....AND...I use my own voice and everything - NO typing involved...at all ;oD

tonanf 01 Jun 2007
In reply to Al Evans: Why do you let it bother you? Were you named after the peaks or something? If people get it wrong , SO WHAT!!!
 punter 01 Jun 2007
In reply to tonanf:
> (In reply to Al Evans) Why do you let it bother you? Were you named after the peaks or something? If people get it wrong , SO WHAT!!!

Because it's wrong, and Al feels strongly about it.

Is it just me, or is a feeding frenzy going on here?

In reply to Horse:
> (In reply to Ewan_B)
>
> Or a corruption of the old Anglo Saxon world Peacsaetna an Anglo Saxon tribe who lived in The Peak. Where is Gordon Stainforth when we need him.

If I told you where I was on Friday evening, and why I was cut off from the world, you would not believe me. I have been almost literally to hell and back, but I'm afraid I can't divulge yet.

littlebear 05 Jun 2007
In reply to Al Evans:
> or The Peak
> It doesn't have a single peak in it

Surely if it doesn't have a single peak it shouldn't be called The Peak either.

> What if you called it Yorkshires, or Manchesters or Sheffields?

Can you have a manchester inside a manchester... I know there is a chester inside manchester... I'm confused!
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

How very cryptic Gordon! Have you been to Outer Space? I hope you are OK.
 Horse 05 Jun 2007

Hell and back, must have been Almscliff or worse still Stoney
 ray 05 Jun 2007
In reply to Al Evans: Hey Al, if that annoys you imagine what it is like listening to the mangled versions of welsh place names that I hear on a regular basis.
 GarethSL 05 Jun 2007
In reply to Al Evans: Al, grow up! it really doesnt matter!
Bradasmc 05 Jun 2007
In reply to Gordon Stainforth: Ahh come on Gordon where were you,why would you want to go to hell in the first place?
 kevin k 05 Jun 2007
In reply to Al Evans: dont you like the Peaks? i like the Peaks, i used to live in the Peaks District.
 kevin k 05 Jun 2007
In reply to Al Evans: is the weather in spains nice and warm at the moment? i was climbing in the Peaks today and it was really hots !
Sorry Al, as you can see, i'm bored.
 Glyn Jones 05 Jun 2007
In reply to Bradasmc:
> (In reply to Gordon Stainforth) Ahh come on Gordon where were you?

The Peaks by all accounts!

OP Al Evans 05 Jun 2007
In reply to kevin k: Bloody Hell, I thought this thread had died days ago, you must all be very bored.
Bradasmc 05 Jun 2007
In reply to Glyn Jones: Or maybe the Lakes! Do they get Midges in the Peaks or the Lakes?
OP Al Evans 05 Jun 2007
In reply to Tufas Mum:
> (In reply to mark reeves)
>
> How many routes in Hard Rock are in The Peaks?
>
> Sam :0)

None, if you check they are all in the Peak.

Simon 05 Jun 2007
In reply to kevin k:
> (In reply to Al Evans) dont you like the Peaks? i like the Peaks, i used to live in the Peaks District.

Mi rib's just broke.....har har... groan

You ever done any of Al's routes in the Peak?

In the main they are really good - lines that were not that obvious in a sense - but when you climb them - you top out going "fook me - that was ace!"

Piledriver at Froggatt is a must do - I loved it - especially the rounded top out to an amazing view!

..go do it!!

Si
OP Al Evans 05 Jun 2007
In reply to littlebear:
> (In reply to Al Evans)>
> Surely if it doesn't have a single peak it shouldn't be called The Peak either.

You havent either read or understood why its called The Peak District have you. See Simons thread.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=245648&v=1#3615350
> [...]

andi turner 06 Jun 2007
In reply to Al Evans:

I would always call it the Peak and appreciate the reasoning behind it, it has nothing to do with hills, pointy or not. However calling it the peak is almost as bad as calling it the peaks when it is hould really be the Peak District. If it is was your district, Al, it would be the Al District or Al's District, but if I was going there I would be going to Al's not Al, so I suppose in its truest sense if the Peak belonged to the Pics then we should be going to the Pics' or Peaks. I'll still be calling it The Peak however.

Words do change over time, it's quite normal, and no doubt in the future it may well be referred to as The Peaks, just so long as the history isn't lost and we remember it is named after some land grabbing bullies who beat the ownership out of whoever lived there before and then stamped their glorious name on it forever more.

The Roaches used to be called the Roches until about forty years ago, but we don't use that anymore. Roches is 'more correct' but we don't use it. The only person I know who does is the editor of the Leek Post and Times and he goes on and on and on and on about how we all spell it wrong now, don't suppose it matters really, as long as we know we're right
 hutchm 06 Jun 2007
In reply to Al Evans:

You appear to have your finger in a dyke here, Sir.

You can't freeze place names - they change constantly through history. Otherwise we'd correctly be calling it the Pic District. And probably not 'district' either, but 'Pic Lands' or somesuch.
After all, the predominant name was Scawfell rather than Scafell a few generations ago.

Virtually every other village name in the country is a corruption of some prosaic description of fields, bridges, wells, etc.
Having said that, I call it the Peak. Doesn't make it right though.
In reply to Alison Stockwell:
> (In reply to Gordon Stainforth)
>
> How very cryptic Gordon! Have you been to Outer Space? I hope you are OK.

I think I would have preferred to have been in outer space.
 Horse 06 Jun 2007

Were you kidnapped by Microsoft?
In reply to Horse:
> (In reply to Gordon Stainforth)
>
> Hell and back, must have been Almscliff or worse still Stoney

No, 'a bit' worse than Stoney. :-|
In reply to Horse:

I'll be making no further comments about this unless or until there are further developments. Just wanted to share with friends on UKC that I am in quite a fix. Sorry to be so enigmatic.
OP Al Evans 06 Jun 2007
In reply to hutchm:
> (In reply to Al Evans)
>
>
> You can't freeze place names - they change constantly through history. Otherwise we'd correctly be calling it the Pic District. And probably not 'district' either, but 'Pic Lands' or somesuch.
I call it the Peak. Doesn't make it right though.

If you type Peaks into a search engine, mine is Dogpile, you do not get a single answer that refers to the Peak District except one that is for a website calling itself snap the peaks, and that is corrected by the search engine itself on the link.
If you type in Peak you get absolutely loads of correct references to the Peak district. So it would seem except on UKC forums most people out there realise what the proper name is and use it.
Even Rockfax gets it right!

Simon 06 Jun 2007
> (In reply to Horse)
>
> I'll be making no further comments about this unless or until there are further developments. Just wanted to share with friends on UKC that I am in quite a fix. Sorry to be so enigmatic.

Sorry to hear that Gordon, anything anyone can do to help let us know...

si
littlebear 08 Jun 2007
In reply to Al Evans:

Poor Al... what a serious bloke.
banned profile 74 08 Jun 2007
In reply to Al Evans:
> Please can you all get this right once and for all, its The Peak District, or The Peak, never has been never will be The Peaks.
> It doesn't have a single peak in it, it's nothing to do with peaks, unlike The Lakes, which has lots of lakes, and even some peaks.

how bored are you to be posting this mindless drivle lol

anyway im off out in to the peaks tomorrow to do a spot of walking ttfn
flyingfox 08 Jun 2007
In reply to Al Evans: sorry Al. It won't happen again. sorry
OP Al Evans 08 Jun 2007
In reply to littlebear:
> (In reply to Al Evans)
>
> Poor Al... what a serious bloke.

You obviously don't know me,
OP Al Evans 08 Jun 2007
In reply to beastofackworth:
> (In reply to Al Evans)
> [...]
> anyway im off out in to the peaks tomorrow to do a spot of walking ttfn
Anyway I'm off to the peaks tomorrows to do a spots of walkings

OP Al Evans 08 Jun 2007
In reply to Gordon Stainforth: Gordon, if we can help ?????
Rosie A 08 Jun 2007
In reply to hutchm: Yes it'd be Picland... like Scotland, or England.

This thread has totally convinced me it should be called the Peaks.
Thanks Al.
 kevin k 08 Jun 2007
In reply to Simon:
> (In reply to kevin k)

> You ever done any of Al's routes in the Peak?

> In the main they are really good - you top out going "fook me - that was ace!"

> ..go do it!!

no i hav'nt yet, i think,but i'll have a look soon.

banned profile 74 09 Jun 2007
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to beastofackworth)
> [...]
> Anyway I'm off to the peaks tomorrows to do a spots of walkings

asphincter says what?
 Simon 09 Jun 2007
In reply to beastofackworth:
> (In reply to Al Evans)
> [...]
>
> asphincter says what?
>
>
>

ha ha ha...

Thanks for the early morning chuckle!! (scherwing!)

In't Peak Sunday - be interesting to see how the new pooch gets on with the peaks!

;0)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...