UKC

Midges at Stanage last night :(

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
There were quite a few midges out last night - first time I've seen them this year. So what is your most effective midge repellent?

and any tips for the conditions that they love/hate? I'd normally say that a light breeze keeps them away, but it was quite breezy belaying on the top last night and I was covered in the damn things and yet only 20 metres further along the crag and they were nowhere to be seen!

Cheers
 Offwidth 05 Jun 2007
In reply to Nick Smith - UKC:

Not too bad at The Causeway last night. Top tip: when they come out move faster (solo or boulder).

DEET is the best by far but its nasty stuff and I only use it in desperation; it trashes a lot of plastics and is not good for your skin. Avon Skin So Soft Forest Pine works well.
 Fiend 05 Jun 2007

> So what is your most effective midge repellent?

My car and the Northern Limestone guide.

Failing that, FH sold me some stuff, think it was mostly natural ingredients, it was pretty good anyway.
 Offwidth 05 Jun 2007
In reply to Fiend: Its almost like you never climb grit in summer
 climbingpixie 05 Jun 2007

> So what is your most effective midge repellent?

Chain-smoking and climbing with people who attract midges as a decoy 8-)
In reply to Nick Smith - UKC: I've heard that the best approach is to climb approx 20m from some guy called Nick?
 Chris the Tall 05 Jun 2007
Midges detect the carbon dioxide when we breathe out, so as long as you avoid breathing you're fine.
 DerwentDiluted 05 Jun 2007

Wear a white shirt as well, they love dark clothing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...