UKC

Gaia & climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Rob S 14 Jun 2001
Ok, i was in Hay during the Litfest a couple of weeks ago, no not to see Billy boy but James Lovelock the Gaia'ist. Whilst there i made a pilgramage to Booths book shop, i don't know why i'm saying this but they occasionaly have copies of old climbing guides. I picked up and early 60's reprint of the 30's Fell & rock club guide to Scafell.
There a really good read, they've usually got notes all over them from previous owners etc. This particular copy had notes from the Sutton Coldfield Public Library, legaly have i inherited the book fine?

Thats not my point though, I remembered from an article in 'Climber' Jan 2001 that David Brower the Friends of the Earth environmentalist was a prolific climber of his time, my interest apart from listening to 'Lovelock's' latest theories was 'did he also share a similar call of the rock'. I know i'm not getting mixed up with another James Lovelock mountain authour curious enough.
From initail reading of his biography he does seem to have spent time in his youth climbing/mountain walking etc. Is there any coincidence that certain special individuals who have experienced the power of the natures elements have felt such a humble passion to protect it.
My surprise is that usualy the 'climbing bit' in these peoples lives is is hardly ever divulged to their faithfull enviornmental follower's.
For those who may be interested 'Lovelock's' position on the earth as a living organism has turned some of the doctrines of the pressure groups upside down,
ie.
Brent Spar should have been left to rot as in the north Sea as it was more useful as skeletal base for plankton & sanctuary for marine wildlife.

Nuclear power is the only sensible power resourse at present, and spent fuel could be deposited harmlesly in the sea at the Earths subduction zones.

I would recommend everyone reads his new book, although these ideas may appear deeply unpopular, i must admit he presents a compelling scientificaly based case, and has the impecable credentials to do so.

As climbers are we all naturaly selfish in wanting to maintain our environment for 'our' time, or should we look at the bigger picture?
As i gaze down Wastwater from the crags of Gable, Seascale still stands malignantly on the horizon. Careful on that Cornish granite now, and take a gieger counter with you.

God this is a bit heavy, im off
Andrew Murray 14 Jun 2001
In reply to Rob S: Nothing to add.Good topic.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...