UKC

Public transport accessible climbing near Manchester

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Rich Payne 11 Jun 2007
Hi folks,

I've just moved to Manchester and now the weather is nice it'd be good to go climbing of an evening. I was wondering what the best options are, given that I don't drive? Looking through Lancashire Rock there are loads of crags around but most of them seem to require a car or a tortuous journey using several buses or trains. I work in central Manchester so somewhere accessible straight by a bus or train from Piccadilly would be ideal. I know I could just get the train to one of the crags in the peak, but it seems silly to go that far when there seem to be plenty of places I haven't been to locally. What do you reckon?
cheers!

Rich
 TobyA 11 Jun 2007
In reply to Rich Payne: It's a few years back so I don't remember numbers or routes but Hobson moor by bus and New Mills Tor by train. With some more walking involved, train to Greenfield and then all of the Chew Valley is above you.

I went by car to Shining Clough but presumably there is some trans-Pennine bus that goes up that road as well.
Chris Tan Ver. XLIX SP2 11 Jun 2007
In reply to Rich Payne:

From Manchester Picadilly,

FirstBus 180 to Greenfield, most crags are 40-50 minutes lazy stroll away.

FirstBus 184 to Uppermill, for Pots and Pans, Alderman hill, Den lane and Running Hill pits

FirstBus 8 to Bolton, then change but can't remeber the service that takes you past Wilton/Belmont

FirstBus 20, 24 to Rochdale, swap to Halifax bus ( 158 I think) for Blackstone Edge and Cow's Mouth Quarry

StageCoach 267 to Glossop for Hobson Moor Quarry

Train to Broadbottom for Broadbottom quarry
 Stig 11 Jun 2007
In reply to Rich Payne: Welcome to the wonderful world of SED and Mcr Uni!

Froggatt, Stanage and Bamford are all accessible from the Manchester-Sheffield line but all involve a ball-busting bike ride up steep hills.

None of the quality Lancashire quarries (eg Wiltons, Anglezarke) are particularly accessible by public transport, though I haven't actually tried.

Hobson Moor and New Mills Torrs are your best bet for genuinely accessible evening crags, though in reality you will need a bike for the former (nearest station is Broadbottom probably). As mentioned the Chew valley (particularly Den Lane) is accessible from the Leeds line.

Better is to have a partner who will pick you up from Hathersage for the East or Buxton for the Roaches and Peak Limestone. I actually do this quite often as have to share a car and it takes some of the stress out of getting out of Manchester.

But frankly, public transport and climbing don't mix. Better to hook up with someone or get some wheels. If you want to get out sometime drop me a line, I'm occasionally heading straight out from the uni with the car.
 newhey 11 Jun 2007
In reply to Rich Payne:

Train to Greenfield (25 mins from Victoria) for all the Chew Valley lovelyness (Millstone Grit guidebook).

Alternatively you could try Shaw Quarries (Lancashire guidebook), only 10 minutes walk from Shaw and Crompton station.

Simon
 sutty 11 Jun 2007
In reply to Rich Payne:

Castle Naze, just under an hour from Manchester on the train then 15 minutes to the crag;
http://www.livedepartureboards.co.uk/ldb/sumarr.aspx?T=CEF&R=1&A=0
Rich Payne 12 Jun 2007
In reply to Rich Payne:

Thanks for the replies!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...