UKC

Midges in North West Scotland?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Pylon King 13 Jun 2007
Just wondered how bad they are at the moment
Thinking of having a week up there next week
 Joe G 13 Jun 2007
In reply to The Pylon King:

Weren't too bad last Friday in Glen Coe, were bad around Glen Nevis at the weekend, things drastically improved when I bought midge repellent. Not sure about the NW, haven't been there for a while.
Jon_83 13 Jun 2007

I read that at

Midgets in North West Scotland?
 IanMcC 13 Jun 2007
In reply to Joe G: Kintail a fortnight ago- murder. Seems like it's going to be a really bad year for them.
estivoautumnal 13 Jun 2007
They were terrible in Ardgour last weekend, annoying in Glen Lyon the weekend before, and absolutely awful in Glenelg the weekend before that.
 Chris F 13 Jun 2007
In reply to The Pylon King: Heard Torridon was pretty Torrid last week. Reiff is often OK and can be good as backup; crags and campsite get any breeze going.
Removed User 13 Jun 2007
Were murder on Ben A'an in the trossachs on Saturday morning. Had to put the wee man in the baby carrier and sprint up past the trees. He never got a bite, must have been the factor 50 I had smeared on him. I was munched pretty bad in only a few minutes.....
Removed User 13 Jun 2007

This gets done to death but here goes:

If the conditions are right for them, eg. warm and still then they will be murder. If you get a good breeze then it'll be ok.

They don't ever go away ya know and good or bad years are purely weather dependant.
 newhey 13 Jun 2007

I spent the week near Gairloch last week. They were ok on the coast and high up, but in those boggy or wooded areas they were horrendous. The midge eating machine at the house I stayed at had to be emptied three time (6lbs of midges in 6 days!)
 IanMcC 13 Jun 2007
In reply to Removed User:
Aye, the weather over the winter. The sequence of mild winters and warm wet springs has spread the problem east.
 OblongBob 13 Jun 2007
In reply to IanMcC: If there's no breeze, you will be eaten alive wherever you are on the west this time of year. It's not so bad when the sun's out, but if it's shady or cloudy then don't even try! I lost about a pint of blood at Loch Slapin and another near Plockton a couple of weeks ago - and that was still in May.
jbinney 13 Jun 2007
In reply to The Pylon King: I was on the beaches on the west coast last week and the midges came out in the evening are were quiet bad but not really thought the day
Yvette 13 Jun 2007

We were in Glencoe last week, they weren't too bad there. They were bastards on Skye a couple of days before, though....
prana 13 Jun 2007
In reply to The Pylon King: the new midgeforcast site has a 7 day forecast. not looking good- the main wave is overdue:
the relatively cool conditions over the past few days appear to have delayed the main midge emergence; often recorded during the first week of June.
http://www.midgeforecast.co.uk/
In reply to prana:

Ha ha - Midge forecast - classic

yes very useful ,many thanks
 andy hunter 13 Jun 2007
In reply to Removed User: kipped on top of ben a'an last thursday night and they were a bit bad. skin so soft does seem to keep them back tho, as they only bites i got were on bits i hadnt covered eg end of the nose !
ahunter
Barber Baz 13 Jun 2007
In reply to andy hunter: midgies were unbearable last weekend at the 10 under the ben- camping at the Aonach Mor centre, and were not much better at Polldubh on the Sunday, were ok at Creagh Dhu later on the Sunday though. Little bastards.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...