UKC

Camping near Ratho?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Spangle12 18 Jun 2007
Me and a mate want to take a trip up to ratho to try the massive climbing center there. With it being a bit of a drive, we thought we would try and camp overnight and then try some rock climbing outdoor then next day before driving home. Does anyone know of any decent campsites near the climbing center?
Or any decent, not too advanced crags nearby?

Also, at the minute we only have a 30m rope. We lead indoors but obviousley only up to 15m, thats the highest wall near us! Do you know if we will be allowed to lead at ratho with a 30m rope, obviousley stopping when the belayer gets to the half way mark on the rope! Or ar there any rules about minimum rope length!
In reply to Spangle12: It's not a good area for camping. Decent not too advanced crags fairly nearby include Limekilns and Hawkcraig (search on UKC). What sort of grades are you thnking? You'd be hard pressed to find a route you could lower off from the top of with a 30m rope at Ratho. They're not going to measure your rope on the way in, but would notice if you started lowering off from intermediate bolts rather than top anchors.
 graeme jackson 18 Jun 2007
In reply to Spangle12: There's avery good campsite within (brisk) walking distance..
http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/details.asp?revid=1631

Assuming you're driving back to England (based on your previous posts) I'd stop off at Bowden doors or Kyloe. There's precious little in southern central scotland of interest.
 220bpm 18 Jun 2007
In reply to Spangle12:

There is a campsite down by Silverknowes near the Firth of Forth. You would be ok wild camping in the Pentlands somewhere too, but maybe not a good place to leave the tent up in your absence.

Nearby crags those mentioned plus Rosyth quarry and Traprain law.

Most lead routes at Ratho are 15m+ so top roping looks the only option there I'm afraid. Some climbs have half-way lower points, but not many
OP Spangle12 18 Jun 2007
In reply to Spangle12:
AH, cheers, thanks for the info. It may be that we are going to invest in a new 60m or more rope anyway. i would have thought that would be long enough.
 Bill Davidson 18 Jun 2007
In reply to Spangle12:

There are half way lower offs on most of the lead routes, so a 30m rope would be ok & a lot less tiring!!!
In reply to Bill Davidson: Really? shows how long it must've been sice I last went. Has it reopened now?
 Bill Davidson 18 Jun 2007
In reply to dan bailey:

Yup, Only the new bouldering wall is shut & that should be open very shortly.
 whispering nic 18 Jun 2007
In reply to dan bailey:
There's a caravan site about 5 mins away but don't know if they take tents. Pentlands or local country parks should be OK for camping.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...