UKC

Scottish midges

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ambrazoni 19 Jun 2007
I heard the Marines have some bizarre repellant for midges. Any information anyone?
 d_c_b2003 19 Jun 2007
In reply to ambrazoni: napalm ?
 marie 19 Jun 2007
In reply to ambrazoni: Apparently, it has been a language issue all along.

The Marines now tell them to go on their way, politely, in Gaelic...
 tony 19 Jun 2007
In reply to ambrazoni:

I think the Marines use Avon Skin-so-soft.
OP ambrazoni 19 Jun 2007
In reply to tony:

Thanks. Sounds safer than napalm.
 Mike Hartley 19 Jun 2007
In reply to ambrazoni:

DEET keeps them away, doesn't do you any good...kind of a last resort thing but it keeps the little feckers away.
john 284 19 Jun 2007
In reply to ambrazoni:

Skin so soft works, you have to keep putting it on.

I prefer the midges to deet
 marie 19 Jun 2007
In reply to john 284: There is a gentler Boots aftersun spray lotion with insect repellent in it. Not used it on midges, but works with mozzies. Also nice and cooling on hot days
 richiegarside 19 Jun 2007
In reply to john 284:

When they are really bad I find the only way to retain sanity is to use a head net and long sleeves.

Rich
flyingfox 19 Jun 2007
In reply to john 284: very true about deet. i put some on my forehead The midges seem to like that bet a lot0 it was a very hot day and my sweat drew the deet into my eyes. Next morning i looked like i had been in a fight. my eyes were so swollen i could barely open them... this lasted for two days. I've heard skin so soft is extremely effective..and I'm sure it probably won't render you temporarily blind
flyingfox 19 Jun 2007
In reply to flyingfox: I've also heard that if you make sure you consume plenty of (i think)vitamin B12, found in marmite... the midges are less likely to bit.
 Jonny Tee 69 19 Jun 2007
In reply to ambrazoni:

Tried skinsosoft. Seemed to work against a fairly small pack of midges for about 15 minutes, then the usual onslaught commenced.
 Mike C 19 Jun 2007
In reply to ambrazoni:

Skin So Soft does work to stop them biting if you keep it well applied, but it is not a repellant.

Marmite - is supposed to work against mosquitos, but some tests a couple of years ago had no effect against midges.

I've found the best way to minimise getting bitten is to have someone with you who is more attractive to them than you are.
Geoffrey Michaels 19 Jun 2007
In reply to ambrazoni:

Use a midge net, nothing else stops them. I had to laugh over the last two weeks where one poor misguided soul swore by Avon SSS but eventually was overcome by the Lochaber Black Death.
 J.Wayland 19 Jun 2007
In reply to ambrazoni:

Nothing works against them, no matter what they keep coming back for your blood! I heard smoking can drive them away, excuse to have a smoke too lasted about 5 minutes and probably only made me think they wern't biting...
 SFM 20 Jun 2007
In reply to flyingfox:

you been misinformed I'm afraid...you have to smother your skin in marmite for it to be effective :O)

Scranner 24 Jun 2007
In reply to ambrazoni:
Skin So Soft kept midgies off me all evening in Glen Brittle campsite, two nights in a row. It's also seems to keep horseflies off. It's a panacea for me, I normally pass for the elephant man a day after enjoying the little b*st*rds company...
For £2 a bottle and not damaging to nylon etc (and smelling not too bad either) it's a bargain.
In reply to ambrazoni:

take up smoking that's the best way to ward away the midges,
either that or find a friend who smokes that'll do it to.
 Jonny Tee 69 25 Jun 2007
In reply to pinkpeople53:

I smoked for years and it had absolutely no effect on the midges. If anything it attracted them rather than repelled them.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...