UKC

Joe Brown

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 chris fox 22 Jun 2007
Royal Robbins says in his book that Joe was the most graceful and natural climber he had ever seen in action. His achievements are long and distinguished, but to be classed what Royal said must rank pretty high.

Anyone on here had the pleasure of tying onto a rope with Joe?
 John2 22 Jun 2007
In reply to chris fox: I played him at pool once. Whitewash.
Yorkspud 22 Jun 2007
In reply to chris fox:

In true UKC fashion I feel I should say he's over-rated and I prefer Doug Flapperthwiate from the Beano Mountaineering Club.
OP chris fox 22 Jun 2007
In reply to Yorkspud:

Well spud, i can't stop giggling at that reply, where did you dig that name up from!
In reply to chris fox:

What's he ever done on gri.....
OP chris fox 22 Jun 2007
In reply to steve barnbrook:
> (In reply to chris fox)
>
> What's he ever done on gri.....

I heard he once climbed on grit, long time ago. Not sure whether it was of any note!

srnet 22 Jun 2007
In reply to chris fox:

He is still climbing too, saw him seconding someone on Millstone butress a couple of weeks ago.
 Nigel R 22 Jun 2007
In reply to srnet:
saw him seconding someone on Millstone butress a couple of weeks ago.

Bloody hell, no pressure on that lead then!
bergalia 22 Jun 2007
In reply to chris fox:

> Anyone on here had the pleasure of tying onto a rope with Joe?

Yep. Langdale Valley - one hot afternoon back in the mid 1960's when he called into the ODG for a pint. We 'did' Pavey Ark...And he was the most graceful, unassuming, totally lacking in bullshit climber I've ever met. We repeated a couple of routes simply because "By 'eck - that were fun. What say we give it another go...."
 Stu Tyrrell 22 Jun 2007
 BrianT 22 Jun 2007
In reply to chris fox: He was good on the old road safety adverts. Nice leather coat.
NYork 23 Jun 2007
In reply to chris fox:
> (In reply to steve barnbrook)
> [...]
>
> I heard he once climbed on grit, long time ago. Not sure whether it was of any note!

bit of a clumsy trip that exposed the troll
OP chris fox 24 Jun 2007
In reply to NYork:

I'm not a troll, i was actually appreciating joe brown's talent. Thought a few of the older regulars on here may have climbed with him, like Sutty etc
Yorkspud 25 Jun 2007
In reply to chris fox:

I can't believe you've never heard of Doug Flapperthwaite. You'll be telling me next you don't know of his long time climbing mate Reg Updyke and their shared mistress Delilah Humming-Bird?
 lowersharpnose 25 Jun 2007
In reply to steve barnbrook:
> What's he ever done on gri.....

The only British first ascent of an 8000m peak, Kanchenjunga.

I thinks it's quite some way past the plantation area at Stanage.

rgds
lowerSharpnose

Al Evans 25 Jun 2007
In reply to chris fox: I've climbed with Joe, and next to him often, he was/is the most graceful and natural climbers I have ever seen too. (but Royal had the edge on thrutchy off widths!)
 sutty 25 Jun 2007
In reply to Al Evans:

Royal was also graceful, his ascent of Quietus was nearly on a par with Danny Murphys and he was one of the most graceful climbers around at the time.

Al Evans 25 Jun 2007
In reply to sutty: Yes, Danny was a graceful climber, and it had few ascents when Danny did it, the rest of us Stoney lot, except perhaps Chris Jackson, tended to climb, shall we say, a bit more 'forcefully' but Danny although slight was also immensley strong! You have to be to do Quietus with panache. I never have done it withouth a thrutch and a grunt and It's still one of the hardest routes on grit for me to 'clean' and follow even when I was leading what are reputedly now E5 routes in other areas!
OP chris fox 26 Jun 2007
In reply to sutty:

In reply to Al Evans:
I like the way Royal states in his book that he backed off cemetery gates (may be wrong on the climb) with , better to back off than engineer a new climb! then he goes back the next day and sends it. Shows just how bold a lot of Joe (and Don's) climbs were back then.

Oh Spud, gonna show my ignorance now, but no, i've not heard of any of them, i'll have to google them (hanging head in shame)
srnet 26 Jun 2007
In reply to Nigel R:

He was seconding on Soap Gut I think, the guy leading was returning to climbing after an injury of some sort, forgot his name.
bill briggs 26 Jun 2007
In reply to srnet:
> (In reply to Nigel R)
>
> He was seconding on Soap Gut I think, the guy leading was returning to climbing after an injury of some sort, forgot his name.

The other guy is Dave Jones, dave had a bad fall but is now on the mend, Joe and Dave have been regular climbing partners for years, they even had a private parking place at South Stack, the ownership of which Stan Lowe and myself hotly dispute.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...