UKC

NEWS: BMC Bolt Giveaway Bonanza: North Wales Hits The Jackpot!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 28 Jun 2007
The BMC is giving away £10,000 worth of bolts and lower offs to local Bolt Funds! Where are they going to then?

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
 Glyn Jones 28 Jun 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Bloody good news, bring on the replacements in the slate quarries and North Wales limestone!
Alphin 28 Jun 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Good to see that they are not just sitting on a shelf in the BMC office, it's about time crags are equiped with stainless steel bolts (well old manky bolts replaced and lower-offs repleced)
 Billy the fish 28 Jun 2007
> The BMC is giving away £10,000 worth of bolts and lower offs to local Bolt Funds! Where are they going to then?

How about stannage, it is pretty lacking on the bolt front?

Niall 28 Jun 2007
In reply to Billy the fish:

Congratulations Mr the Fish! As the 1,000,000th poster to bring up the 'bolt Stanage' troll, you win a year's subscription to Trail magazine.

That'll teach ya :-P
 Fiend 29 Jun 2007

> These bolts are for like-for-like replacement only,

Cool.

I wonder if they have a stake and peg fund?
OP Michael Ryan 29 Jun 2007
In reply to Fiend:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
>
> [...]
>
> Cool.
>
> I wonder if they have a stake and peg fund?

They certainly have stakes Fiend. I saw Dan "BMC Tech" Middleton fondling some.

Nic 29 Jun 2007

Apparently 122 bolts are heading Dorset way - anyone know exactly where they're intended for? Steve T?

Anonymous 29 Jun 2007
In reply to Nic: I hope one of the cumbrian lower offs is destined to repair the vandalism at seargent crag slabs.
martin k 29 Jun 2007
In reply to Anonymous: the vandalism of the bolts going in, or being taken out?

nice try!
mydogsgotalimp 29 Jun 2007
In reply to martin k:
> (In reply to Anonymous) the vandalism of the bolts going in, or being taken out?
>
> The bolts being removed, did you see the damage it did? Im not trying to stir up an argument here. The consensus is that the bolys should be replaced.
 stuwelly85 29 Jun 2007
SE Wales bolts: Good news that the newly established BMC area is getting a look in! Who get's the decission on where they'll be put? It would be a shame if a new area was bolted and kept 'under wraps' by the bolter.
 richardh 29 Jun 2007
In reply to stuwelly85:

it's a replacement fund, i.e. like for like, the bids would have identified bad bolts in existing routes. there should be no new area bolted by this fund.
 thomasadixon 29 Jun 2007
In reply to stuwelly85:

Can't be certain but southern Wye Valley maybe? Ban-y-gor has a lot of new bolts.
martin k 29 Jun 2007
In reply to stuwelly85: i think, but don't quote me on it, that roy thomas has applied. could be him. as someone has alrady said, these bolts are for like for like replacement, not new routes.
 steve taylor 29 Jun 2007
In reply to Nic:
>
> Apparently 122 bolts are heading Dorset way - anyone know exactly where they're intended for? Steve T?

My garage!

Interesting to find out how the Dorset Bolt Fund request has been responded to in such a public manner? This is the first that I've heard about how many bolts we get...
 steve taylor 29 Jun 2007
In reply to Nic:
>
> Apparently 122 bolts are heading Dorset way - anyone know exactly where they're intended for? Steve T?

In reality, depending on the proportion of resin/through-bolts we receive, mostly The Promenade (German New Order/Seppuku areas) and Blackers Hole (Infinite Gravity etc)

ksjs 30 Jun 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: anyone know where the cheshire and merseyside bolts are destined for?
jeky godoaf 30 Jun 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Strange how this has coincided with the peak re bolting initiative ! Don't recall any help or support for the boys in Yorkshire . Do we get a refund ?

Stick em all over the mountains for use as abseil stations...

Only kidding
 danm 01 Jul 2007
In reply to steve taylor:

I'm contacting all the "winners" individually Steve, but felt it was important to get the news out - the whole idea behind the project is to generate publicity for bolt funds.

For Mr. Cynical who posted r.e lack of support in the past, I agree that in the past the BMC hasn't done enough to assist bolt funds. Lets focus on the present and future though, eh? Yorkshire got pretty much 100% what they bid for, I reckon Dave & Paul will be pretty chuffed with what they're getting. Keep up the good work, guys.
 stuwelly85 02 Jul 2007
In reply to martin k:

Ta for that, did realise a little while after I posted it was new for old. How does it get decided what area get's this new kit?

# North Wales Bolt Fund: 1,395 bolts 18 lower offs
# Yorkshire Bolt Fund: 437 bolts 56 lower offs
# Gary Gibson, Peak: 167 bolts 16 lower offs
# Cheshire & Merseyside Bolt Fund: 50 bolts 5 lower offs *
# Peak Bolt Fund: 240 bolts 20 lower offs
# Cumbria Bolt Fund: 65 bolts 2 lower offs
# Dorset Bolt Fund: 126 bolts 22 lower offs
# SE Wales Bolt Fund: 20 bolts 11 lower offs*

So what's the diffrence between the "Gary Gibson, peak" and the "Peak Bolt fund"?
martin k 02 Jul 2007
In reply to A Nidderdale boulderer.: i think that the PBF is concentrating on the harder (7a+) routes on places like the cornice, whilst gary's bolts are going to lower grade venues like blackwell, horseshoe and the like. i think.
raspers 02 Jul 2007
Thats realy great because in Yorkshire we had to work like FK to create a bolt fund to pay for ours
OP Michael Ryan 02 Jul 2007
In reply to raspers:
> Thats realy great because in Yorkshire we had to work like FK to create a bolt fund to pay for ours

Don't all bolt funds have to work hard to get funds for bolts?

Mick

richardh 02 Jul 2007
In reply to raspers:

.. and we've (Yorkshire) got a decent amount out of this too, almost every bolt/belay we asked for. To be left out because we'd done stuff in the past would have been bad. To be included on equal terms is fine.
 Simon 02 Jul 2007
In reply to martin k:
> (In reply to A Nidderdale boulderer.) i think that the PBF is concentrating on the harder (7a+) routes on places like the cornice, whilst gary's bolts are going to lower grade venues like blackwell, horseshoe and the like. i think.

Thats what I'm lead to beleive also.

Si
 danm 03 Jul 2007
In reply to A Nidderdale boulderer.: Well, one is Gary Gibson, and er, one is the Peak Bolt Fund. The requests for bolts came in from a number of different active groups. These two just happen to operate in the same area. Lets face it, Gary has been active almost everywhere.
 danm 03 Jul 2007
In reply to Fiend:

> Cool. Thanks!
>
> I wonder if they have a stake and peg fund?

Wanna increase your subs to pay for em? Only kidding. Nice idea, a bit tricky though. Opens up a fairly big old can of worms, don't you think? A properly placed glue-in bolt may last for 25 years and you should be able re-use the original hole. Can you say the same for a peg? Didn't think so. The whole pegs issue, especially on sea cliffs, probably needs serious discussion before anything happens on that score.
raspers 03 Jul 2007
In reply to A Nidderdale boulderer.:
Are the routes in Whales that long 1395 bolts and 18 lower offs
 withey 03 Jul 2007
In reply to raspers: The full full traverse of Cloggy. Left to right, then up a bit, then back across to the left
 Enty 03 Jul 2007
In reply to raspers:

Who rattled your cage???

The Ent
 Dave Musgrove 04 Jul 2007
In reply to raspers:

Blue Whales are quite long!

Dave
raspers 04 Jul 2007
In reply to Enty:
Rigwelter

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...