UKC

Cleaning Climbing Holds

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Nacnud 20 Sep 2002
I help out at a local climbing wall changing routes. Dose anybody have any tips as to how to clean chalk of holds?

Currently use the 'washing up' technique.
trolly 20 Sep 2002
In reply to Nacnud: i have been told a dishwasher brings em uo like new worthwhile purchase if youve got hundreds to do
Nacnud 20 Sep 2002
In reply to trolly:
Yeah, I've heard that to but unfortunatly I don't have one available :0(. Have just found a previouse thread complaing at the state of my local wall - well at least I'm trying.

Was kinda hoping if someone would know a way of disolving chalk, its magnisium carbonate or something itn't it
daveP 20 Sep 2002
In reply to Nacnud: As mentioned above, dishwasher is supposed to be an excellent way of doing it. Failing that you could try water, some kind of detergent, a stiff brush and a shit load of elbow grease.
Matt Wilson 20 Sep 2002
In reply to Nacnud:

Hydrochloric acid might work. Even if it didn't you'd end up with lots of nicely pitted holds that while admittedly being a little smaller than they started out, would be a lot more positive than they are now
OP Rich 20 Sep 2002
In reply to Nacnud:
I use a power washer which blasts chalk and rubber off in seconds. Place the holds in plasic bread trays so you don't have to chase them around. Works a treat.

Rich
 JIMBO 20 Sep 2002
In reply to Rich: I know of one climbing wall that puts them in a solution of washing powder which seams to work quite nicely...

JIMBO
mo 20 Sep 2002
In reply to Nacnud:

we wash them by hosing them off with a high pressure water hose thing. esp is summer is not such a bad way to spend (a sunny) day.

also use the dishwasher occasionally, but the other way works better.

mo
HOLDZ 20 Sep 2002
In reply to mo:

Either with a dishwasher, or a jet wash and a bread tray, or a bucket of warm water and a scrubbing brush.

If you do 'em regularly it isn't as hard to do.

Steve
www.holdz.co.uk
OP Dave 20 Sep 2002
In reply to all:

Havin started with toothbrush many years ago and tried everything going, the dishwasher wins hands down (or up), but it may fade some of the brighter holds. The jet wash is fun but time consuming. Dishwasher, 75 holds per hour and ready to be set, verses jet, 20 (if your lucky) + wet feet & drying time.

Ask your mam if you can use hers!

D
Den 27 Sep 2002
Place your grubby climbing holds in a kitchen (or other) sink with lots of water and at least 500ml of vinegar (or non-brewed condiment) and watch that magnesium carbonate dissolve before your very eyes. Leave for up to one hour for stubborn boot rubber stains. Take stiff (but not wire) bristled brush and buff up to "as new" finish. Think "why didn't someone tell me about the vinegar technique sooner". Concoct evil sloper route, utilizing new-found friction.

Note: the holds will need to be rinsed thoroughly before use. An old dishwasher on warm rinse setting does this nicely.
Note2: compared to the vinegar technique, all other methods suck ass.

Den de de den den, den Den
OP Rich 27 Sep 2002
In reply to Den:

This might clean the holds better but when you are cleaning 1000+ holds at a time the power washer is much quicker and the results as good. Bare in mind with in 10 minutes of you lovely new brightly coloured route been set the holds will be all white with chalk again.
daveP 27 Sep 2002
In reply to Den: if you have to rinse them in the dishwasher anyway, then aren't you better saving yourself a pint of vinegar and just do them in the DW anyway?
Dave Reeve 03 Oct 2002
In reply to Nacnud: We tried a dishwasher with holds off the UEA wall but it didn't clean them completely. We now soak the holds in buckets of warm water and soap powder for a couple of hours then pressure wash them. They come up really well, chalk and rubber comes off easily
Freeclimb 04 Oct 2002
In reply to Nacnud:

Iwork at a wall, and the best way is putting them in a shoping trolly and and using a high powered jet wash, dont wash the scew in smears this way, they have a tedensy to shatter
Wattie 06 Oct 2002
In reply to Nacnud: What's a dishwasher ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...