UKC

Frendo Spur, Chamonix

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 27 Jul 2007
"The climbing is easy but the snow is as crappy as ever, one minute icy, the next a collapsing mush. We’re pooped…especially Rupert, who mutters “I’m finished” every 2 minutes, like some latter day Toni Kurz. But fortunately he’s not. Not close. The end is in sight, only a last sixty five degree ice pitch to go."

Uniquely visible from Chamonix, the Frendo Spur is a sought after objective for the mid-grade Alpinist. Phil Taylor recounts a recent ascent.

Read more: http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=475
 CJD 27 Jul 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

at this time of the morning I felt weary just reading that! I liked the mention of their rigorous training, and Rupert's belief that it'd make for a relaxing holiday.

Nice one - it came across as very human, rather than superhuman, which a very tenuously aspiring alpine bod like myself likes.

Dan Parker 27 Jul 2007

Fair play for just having a go , we were there that week and we're put off by conditions of the top section and unstable weather. Looking back those conditions were far more favourable than the weeks after.
 IanJackson 27 Jul 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Thanks Phill. Me and a friend did this route a couple of weeks back in icy conditions. Iam glad you found going left ok. My guide book hinted at 80-85o ice! Maybe it changes year to year.

We went left at the top too and found it easy Scotish IV.

Ian.
 Jack Geldard 27 Jul 2007

Fun, friendly and informative. An enjoyable piece.

Thanks Phil.

Nice pics too.
 BenTiffin 27 Jul 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: A reminder of memories from 5 years ago. Who knows what this summer will bring.

Thankyou

Ben
 Dave Murphy 27 Jul 2007

great,

one for the future hopefully

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...