UKC

Life Insurance if you're a Climber

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Marc C 01 Aug 2007
I know this has probably been done before, but I wanted to know if anyone on here has a good life insurance package that covers people who climb. Recently I had a very low quote for a sizable lump sum (enough to encourage Mrs C to arrange an 'accident'!), but when I informed them I climbed, the monthly premium went up by £200!!! I rang them up and they responded "well you put on your form that you do extreme climbing up to 20,000 feet" I then spent 10 minutes trying to explain that once in my lifetime I might venture to Everest Base Camp - and that, by 'extreme', I meant extreme in terms of technical difficulty (ok ok, stop smirking everyone!) but generally no more than 10ft above the ground (rather than 10,000 ft!). Anyway, anyone know the best way to get a reasonable deal? Thanks.
Nick B not logged on 01 Aug 2007
In reply to Marc C: I have taken the approach of telling them I just climb in the UK, then arranging additional cover for trips outside of the UK. We only have a reducing sum policy which will pay off the mortgage in the event of either of our deaths, which cost about £70 a month on £180,000.

Reminds me I have got to sort out some additional cover for my upcoming Alps trip.
johnsdowens 01 Aug 2007
In reply to Marc C:

Norwich union don't load the premium if you only climb in the UK, and presumably you take other insurance if you go abroad to climb. As an example, we're on a reducing lump sum to cover our mortgage (somewhere over 100,000) for about £7 a month (both still in twenties, non smokers, etc.).
 Flatlander 01 Aug 2007
 Mick Ward 01 Aug 2007
In reply to Marc C:

> extreme climbing up to 20,000 feet"

> I meant extreme in terms of technical difficulty (ok ok, stop smirking everyone!) but generally no more than 10ft above the ground

Sorry, Marc, it's gone way beyond smirking!

Uninsured Mick (wipes tears of mirth from eyes)
OP Marc C 01 Aug 2007
In reply to johnsdowens and Nick B: Thanks for good advice. Knew it was a mistake to send that faked Photoshop photo of 'me' slacklining across to Lost Arrow Spire
OP Marc C 01 Aug 2007
In reply to Mick Ward: Glad to have amused you! Though, as you well know, some of my ascents at Lumbutts have certainly been 'extreme'
Clauso 01 Aug 2007
In reply to Marc C:

I also recently enquired about life insurance and let it slip that I'm a 'climber'.

"Are you *THE* Darren Jackson... The one that Marc C lampooned in Gravity magazine recently?... The bloke who failed to onsight a VDiff at Gardom's having stuck most of your rack and half of somebody elses into it?" asked a voice.

"Errrrr, yeah. That'd be me all right." I replied, sheepishly.

There then followed the sound of some furious keyboard tapping, before the same voice reappeared in my ear to tell me that they were pleased to quote me a negative premium and they owe me £1,200. Thanks a lot Marc!
 Mick Ward 01 Aug 2007
In reply to Marc C:

And some of your ascents elsewhere... a tad dishabille? Why they still mutter, "Marc Le Grand!" in awed tones.

Mick
 Banned User 77 01 Aug 2007
In reply to johnsdowens: Bloody hell, we pay £50 a month! for a 100k mortgage, need to sort that out soon.
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to johnsdowens) Bloody hell, we pay £50 a month! for a 100k mortgage, need to sort that out soon.

That does not sound too far off the mark to me, John are you sure it is £7 a month?
OP Marc C 01 Aug 2007
In reply to Clauso: Ha ha! It's funny how people sitting in offices in the city are making decisions (knowing nothing about climbing). To use a motoring analogy, you're the equivalent of a Sunday afternoon driver - takes his Reliant Robin out once a month, fog lights on even on sunny days, never exceeds 30mph (CAN'T exceed 30!), hunched over the wheel peering nervously at the road ahead, stops on the side if a car is coming the other way...whereas I'm the reckless loon riding around like a teenager with a death wish on a motorbike with dodgy tyres (er, hang on, this is supposed to be an analogy isn't it? Yet, the guy in the office treats us the same
Clauso 01 Aug 2007
In reply to Marc C:

That article of yours really punctured my ego... It's okay; I'm not trying to make you feel bad or anything. I'm way past my phase of staying up all night making Marc C voodoo dolls and then spending my weekends killing them in ever more imaginative and gruesome ways... I just wanted you to know that it hurt at the time, but, in the long run, it was probably for the best. It forced me to really examine myself and my reasons for persisting with the delusion that I'm a climber. A bit of soul searching can sometimes be beneficial.

Anyhow, like I say, I'm past all that. I've moved on... Having recently read Feet in the Clouds be Richard Askwith, I am now motivated to re-brand myself as a fell runner. I like the macho image of tough guy Darren floating gracefully up hillsides and flying down descents that would put the fear of God into a mountain goat. I'll be all toned muscle and steely determination... Actually, if my climbing career provides any parallels, then in reality I can probably reasonably expect to some day get around the Grasmere course in 4 or 5 hours or so?
johnsdowens 01 Aug 2007
In reply to Nick B not logged on:

Absolutely positive. 110k, reducing over 25 years, joint cover. £7.42 a month I think.

"do you take part in: ... climbing outside the UK: NO
extreme sports: No"

Quickly checked the website for a requote - its up to £8.50 now. Basic cover, but enough to pay off the mortgage if either of us dies or is terminally ill.
In reply to johnsdowens: Can I ask who your insurer is?
johnsdowens 01 Aug 2007

Norwich Union
In reply to johnsdowens:
> (In reply to Nick B not logged on)
>
> Norwich Union

Snap, I think I will be checking my policy tonight and looking at getting another quote from them.
johnsdowens 01 Aug 2007

We got our through the website and only answered the questions they asked us: consequently if they define hillwalking, hill running or easy winter climbing as "extreme sports (e.g. white water, bungee, paragliding)" or distinct to "climbing in the UK" then I could be in trouble if I die in the hills, but I'd be willing to change my policy if I discovered that was the case....
In reply to johnsdowens: I have just done a very quick search, first impressions are that I could save nearly £60 a month, I am going ring them later with my present policy in front of me and see what sort of difference it makes. I would hate to think that a bit of rock climbing and mountaineering multiplies the risk 6 times. I am probably more likely to die in my car than climbing.
 elsiem 01 Aug 2007
In reply to johnsdowens: sounds about right, mine is £9.02 a month(yes bizarre amount I know) per month, Im a singly and it covers a 150k mortgage. Have UK climbing included but not abroad as I arrange separate cover for trips...
 elsiem 01 Aug 2007
In reply to elsiem: mine doesn't reduce though, 150k paid out if I die or become terminally ill at any point in the course of my mortgage term.
dylan6669 03 Aug 2007
In reply to Nick B:

If you climb or mountaineer outside the UK you need to declare this to the insurers. If you do not then your insurer may not pay out as you haven't fully disclosed the facts relating your application.ply to Marc C:
johnsdowens 03 Aug 2007

Any joy with NU?
Nick B not logged on 03 Aug 2007
In reply to dylan6669:
> (In reply to Nick B)
>
> If you climb or mountaineer outside the UK you need to declare this to the insurers. If you do not then your insurer may not pay out as you haven't fully disclosed the facts relating your application.ply to Marc C:

I thought I was clear that if I undertake any activity not covered by my insurance, I would arrange additional cover.
Nick B not logged on 03 Aug 2007
In reply to johnsdowens:
> (In reply to Nick B not logged on)
>
> Any joy with NU?

Not yet, on my list of things to do.
potted shrimp 05 Aug 2007
In reply to Marc C: there are better ways to invest money than life insurance and with a higher rate of return...and Snowcard cover you for most of the climbing...
 ChrisJD 05 Aug 2007
In reply to Marc C:

I'm going through a similar thing with life insurance (via work) and Scottish Widows at the moment.

I'm refusing to fill in their stupidly phrased Mountaineering/Caving questionnaire.

If the underwriters want to quantify the risk, then its encumbent upon THEM to ask the right questions. I'm not going to be pidgeon holed and answer unanswerable questions that they will then use to justify not paying up should I cop it.

They are getting back to me.

Hold your ground!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...