UKC

Tim Emmett on BBC1...Ultimate Climb Discussion

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mutl3y 17 Aug 2007
... most "real feel" climbing TV show ever methinks. Someone crying on a climb - just like I do all the time.
banned profile 74 17 Aug 2007
In reply to Mutl3y:
> ... most "real feel" climbing TV show ever methinks. Someone crying on a climb - just like I do all the time.

was it airly?

Simon Overton 17 Aug 2007
In reply to beastofackworth:

he just nearly died- wow
OP Mutl3y 17 Aug 2007
In reply to cider nut: sorry. only looked under rocktalk and didn't see it...
Anonymous 17 Aug 2007
In reply to Mutl3y: like as if a boulder would spontaneously fall from above the leader- fake!
 IanJackson 17 Aug 2007
In reply to Anonymous: Yea a bit of a flook, maybe it was a camera guy trying to get some good shots.

Does happen, but on film...
Anonymous 17 Aug 2007
In reply to IanJackson:
but then again tim's got ethics and is not gonna put his name to fakery...camera man above for def
that was pretty damn close..
 Fidget 17 Aug 2007
In reply to Mutl3y:

There's a longer thread entitled 'Julia Bradbury' too.
 Michael Ryan 17 Aug 2007
In reply to IanJackson:

Cracking I thought. Emmett came across well and enthusiastic (bit too many awesomes and brilliants mind), and Bradbury came across great, very genuine: and Ben Pritchard's filming was....well...awesome and....brilliant.

Authentic.............great plug at the end for climbing walls, guides, instructors and climbing schools!
Rosie A 17 Aug 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

I agree, loved it. She did well eh? And he was a superb climbing partner, so encouraging and unphased.
 Mike Hall 17 Aug 2007
In reply to Mutl3y: agree one of the best climbing programs i have seen to get across what it really feels like

by the way what grade is the old man of stour?

In reply to Mike Hall:
the route they took was VS.
 Glyn Jones 17 Aug 2007
In reply to Mutl3y: good effort! anyone know what the grade is of Rhapsody?
 IanJackson 17 Aug 2007
In reply to williamisgoldsmith: Thats a good effort. VS is hard for beginners.
Rosie A 17 Aug 2007
In reply to Mutl3y:

She was well arsey with him when that bit of gear came out of her belay wasn't she! Good for her.
 Glyn Jones 17 Aug 2007
In reply to Rosie A:
> (In reply to Mutl3y)
>
> She was well arsey with him when that bit of gear came out of her belay wasn't she! Good for her.

how wet!
In reply to Rosie A:

i didnt realise it was a bit of gear from her belay, i thought it was a runner that had lifted out.
 Crazy cockney 17 Aug 2007
In reply to williamisgoldsmith:

I thought it was a runner too
 Darron 17 Aug 2007
In reply to Rosie A:
> (In reply to Mutl3y)
>
> She was well arsey with him when that bit of gear came out of her belay wasn't she! Good for her.
Don't think it was from her belay I think it was a runner.

panyan 17 Aug 2007
In reply to Crazy cockney:

even if it was a runner rather than part of the belay she'd had taken a bit of a swing if she fell...
Rosie A 17 Aug 2007

Oh maybe it was, no dramas then, I was a bit surprised!
 Glyn Jones 17 Aug 2007
In reply to Darron: it threaded down the rope so not belay (ie the QD was on the rope leading up to Tim).
 icnoble 17 Aug 2007
In reply to Mutl3y: A very good programme, I thought Julia Bradbury did really well
 Glyn Jones 17 Aug 2007
In reply to panyan:
> (In reply to Crazy cockney)
>
> even if it was a runner rather than part of the belay she'd had taken a bit of a swing if she fell...

how on her belay stance versus the swing she would have with or without it if she fell on it? (being dodgy placement)
 Darron 17 Aug 2007
In reply to Glyn Jones:
Your agreeing with me
In reply to Mutl3y:

I thought JB did all right as well, but if we could just stick to the main issue, you definitely would, wouldn't you?

jcm
 Glyn Jones 17 Aug 2007
In reply to Darron: never ya poof!
 Glyn Jones 17 Aug 2007
In reply to johncoxmysteriously: if single well - it was cold at the Castle!
Rosie A 17 Aug 2007
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

Min walked in and said, 'He's definitely gay.' But I thought there was chemistry between them, well she definitely would have!
In reply to panyan:
> (In reply to Crazy cockney)
>
> even if it was a runner rather than part of the belay she'd had taken a bit of a swing if she fell...

I looked like a good swing if she did pop!
 Glyn Jones 17 Aug 2007
In reply to Rosie A:
> (In reply to johncoxmysteriously)
>
> Min walked in and said, 'He's definitely gay.' But I thought there was chemistry between them, well she definitely would have!

sorry hon, did you mean min or 'jules'?
In reply to Rosie A:
>
> Min walked in and said, 'He's definitely gay.' But I thought there was chemistry between them, well she definitely would have!

If I was him I definitely would have!
CENSORED elsewhere 17 Aug 2007
In reply to Rosie A:
>

My mum asked if he 'had a friend'???
CENSORED still elsewhere 17 Aug 2007
> (In reply to IanJackson)
>
> Cracking I thought. Emmett came across well and enthusiastic (bit too many awesomes and brilliants mind),

We watched Jamies kitchen just before watching this and Olivers enthusiasm for his veggies and food made Tim's enthusiasm appear wholly underwhelming.

Good bit of TV, even my father-in-law was interested by the end of it...
 The Pylon King 17 Aug 2007
In reply to Mutl3y:

Hey, good effort, totally awesome , hey lets do some slacklining and deep water soloing - C*nt

Id have Julia as my belay bunny tho.
In reply to Rosie A:

Deffo a runner it was on a quickdraw while she was waving the wire at him.
Rosie A 17 Aug 2007
In reply to Glyn Jones:
> (In reply to Rosie A)
> [...]
>
> sorry hon, did you mean min or 'jules'?

OI! Cheeky, don't go there! lol! I thought he looked like Nick Smith.
In reply to The Pylon King:

> Hey, good effort, totally awesome , hey lets do some slacklining and deep water soloing - C*nt

Why? It's what he's into and for the non-climbing viewer, it fleshed things out a little.

In reply to Rosie A:
> I thought he looked like Nick Smith.

More like Rob Mirfin, but you'd have to have spent time in Brum to know him.
pooh 17 Aug 2007
In reply to Rosie A:
So glad someone else said that!!!
Anonymous 17 Aug 2007
In reply to CENSORED still elsewhere: i bet tim fleshed things out with her at some point
 Glyn Jones 17 Aug 2007
In reply to Rosie A:
> (In reply to Glyn Jones)
> [...]
>
> OI! Cheeky, don't go there! lol!

minny loves Timmy, minny loves Timmy!

My advice, never let me meet Min - I'll tease her to hell and back!
Jamming Dodger 17 Aug 2007
> (In reply to Rosie A)
> [...]
>
>
> If I was him I definitely would have!

Lol so THATS why you thought it was good.
{looks disapproving}
Rosie A 17 Aug 2007
In reply to Glyn Jones:

HA HAAAA!!! Now this I have to see, she would run rings around you. She's very quick-witted, murder in fact. ;Ā¬)

oops
<end hijack>
 Glyn Jones 17 Aug 2007
In reply to Rosie A:
>
> HA HAAAA!!! Now this I have to see, she would run rings around you. She's very quick-witted, murder in fact. ;Ā¬)
>
> oops
> <end hijack>

Bring it on! I'm fully conversant with the latest music like the bee gees so I can hold my own!
In reply to Mutl3y:

Does anyone know what the route TE did called Nikki's Leap is, by the way? Is that Bathtime itself, and if so why does it have such huge holds?

jcm
 Glyn Jones 17 Aug 2007
In reply to johncoxmysteriously: Looked more like Soap on a Rope from where he was climbing to otherwise as you say bathtime.
 Banned User 77 17 Aug 2007
In reply to johncoxmysteriously: Well yes, I liked her.

Agree with Rosie, I thought there was definate chemistry, she was VERY flirty.

I thought it was a great programme, she did great on that last climb especially.

I was suprised the BBC showed the jump in the quarries with the recent press re tomb stoning. No complaints, just a bit suprised.
Rosie A 17 Aug 2007
In reply to IainRUK:

Did you notice the first thing she wanted to do when she got to the top of every climb was hug him? I think I'd get quite a surprised reaction from climbing partners if I did that!
 Glyn Jones 17 Aug 2007
In reply to Rosie A:
> (In reply to IainRUK)
>
> Did you notice the first thing she wanted to do when she got to the top of every climb was hug him? I think I'd get quite a surprised reaction from climbing partners if I did that!

You fancy him!
 SebCa 17 Aug 2007
In reply to Mutl3y: It was brilliant, TE came across really well i was just annoyed they did not show much of him climbing the routes, i know it was all about JB but it would of been nice. Superb Guy
Rosie A 17 Aug 2007
In reply to Glyn Jones:

How did you work that out! lol!
In reply to Rosie A:

Yeah, but then she IS a TV presenter. Sort of an actress squared, I imagine.

jcm
 GarethSL 17 Aug 2007
In reply to Mutl3y: i cant help but add, he did look like a bit of a lightbulb. what was with the hair?

sister got highlights today... looks like gandalf hehehe.
 sutty 17 Aug 2007
In reply to Rosie A:

>I think I'd get quite a surprised reaction from climbing partners if I did that

Why, a lot of people do it, even the bloke on bloke on a hard route to show they have done a good job together.

Of course if you are in one of the senior clubs a stiff handshake is de riguer.
 Glyn Jones 17 Aug 2007
In reply to Rosie A: The green eyed monster (not the disease) was overwhelming you that she kissed him but that doesn't happen when you climb (it does for me btw).
In reply to sutty:

'I believe we so far forgot ourselves as to shake hands.'

jcm
 sutty 17 Aug 2007
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

Ah yes, Shipton and Tilman wasn't it?
Rosie A 17 Aug 2007
In reply to Glyn Jones:

Only when you climb wi pigeon jim or Mikkel though.

I have to say, me and Wizz would generally have a snog at the end of a route, haven't tried it with anyone else yet though.
DAN! Come back here NOW! I demand my snog!

ROFL!
 sutty 17 Aug 2007
In reply to Rosie A:

QUIET woman, you don't want to frighten him off for good do you?
Rosie A 17 Aug 2007
In reply to sutty:

Imagine it, me puckerin up and Dan ... down climbing as fast as his legs'd carry him.

Oh no I forgot, Coel... COEL!
 ericoides 17 Aug 2007
In reply to sutty:

Tilman and Odell
 Keith Roughley 17 Aug 2007
In reply to Mutl3y:

For me it was Sh*te...the most: 'ramp it up for the non climber' routine...lets ham, ham it up and make a trip to Blue John Mines seem like a 'Cave daving "lost my oxygen" type epic'....

What next...'Bloke does Pyg track wearing 'sneakers' ......Scary
 Glyn Jones 17 Aug 2007
In reply to Keith Roughley: I guess you don't remember your first climb
Pete Baars 17 Aug 2007
In reply to IainRUK:
> I was suprised the BBC showed the jump in the quarries with the recent press re tomb stoning. No complaints, just a bit suprised.

I wondered about that, but it was heavily voiced over with a 'don't try this at home, you might die..."

So I guess they felt they had it covered and didn't want to waste a great bit of footage...?
 Padraig 17 Aug 2007
In reply to ericoides:
Tilman and Odell

Think sutty's righ. Shipton and Tilman on Nanda Devi?
 Keith Roughley 17 Aug 2007
In reply to Glyn Jones:
> (In reply to Keith Roughley) I guess you don't remember your first climb

Yes I do..Grooved slab at Helsby...
 Glyn Jones 17 Aug 2007
In reply to Keith Roughley:
> [...]
>
> Yes I do..Grooved slab at Helsby...

and did you enjoy it or was it BBC pants because it was not exciting and death defying?
 sutty 18 Aug 2007
In reply to Padraig:

Oops

Yes, it was Odell with Tilman according to web links.
 ericoides 18 Aug 2007
In reply to sutty:

I've typed out the full quote:

'Odell had brought a thermometer, and no doubt sighed for the hypsometer. From it we found that the air temperature was 20 F but in the absence of the wind we could bask gratefully in the friendly rays of our late enemy the sun. It was difficult to realise that we were actually standing on top of the same peak which we had viewed two months ago from Ranikhet, and which had then appeared incredibly remote and inaccesible, and it gave us a curious feeling of exaltation to know that we were above every peak within hundred miles on either hand. Dhaulagiri, 1,000ft higher, and 200 miles way in Nepal, was our nearest rival. I believe we so far forgot ourselves as to shake hands on it.'
W. Tilman, 'Gentleman's Relish' in 'Mirrors in the Cliffs'.
 supafly 18 Aug 2007
any ideas if this will be broadcast online anywhere?
 Padraig 18 Aug 2007
In reply to ericoides:

Ta! Glad I didn't take a bet! I've only read book 2/3 times as well!
 ericoides 18 Aug 2007
In reply to Padraig:

Sorry about the typos, it's late
Wes 18 Aug 2007
In reply to Mutl3y:

as i said in the other thread:

I thought it was really good-admittedly the title is bollox, yet you must appreciate that it's meant for the "general public" for want of a better term.

Great plug for walls etc as has been said and Tim makes for a great ambassador for the sport.

Well made, good shots, funny and no posturing and bullshitting...

much better than all those climbing vids full of tw*ts with their tops of but still wearing beanies and moaning.

Well done to all involved, The BBC and long may it continue.

The Pylon King 18 Aug 2007
In reply to CENSORED still elsewhere:
> (In reply to The Pylon King)
>
> [...]
>
>
> Why? It's what he's into and for the non-climbing viewer, it fleshed things out a little.

It just perpetuates the public view of rock climbers being adrenelin fuelled bleached haired hedonists into red bull and banging trance.-. C*nts
In reply to The Pylon King: I didn't notice any Red Bull or banging Trance just a really good programme.
Rosie A 18 Aug 2007

That's odd, I didn't think he came across as hedonistic at all, I thought he appeared reasonably altruistic, in that he was incredibly encouraging and patient with a beginner. If I'd been watching that as a non-climber, Id have started thinking about whether I could get involved.

Also, it made me realise what slacklining was doing for his balance, and how that probably contributed to his climbing. And as for that DWS clip, what a BUZZ! I bet loads of kids come into climbing as a result of that programme. OK some may die... but if you work with youth you develop a healthy respect for any potential culling process. ;Ā¬)

Anyway aren't you into trance? ;Ā¬P
 Toby S 18 Aug 2007
In reply to Rosie A:

My missus who is a non-climber watched it and thought TE came across really well and very encouraging. She now wants to go to the wall on Sunday.

Someone made a comment further up that the block that fell was in some way staged. Does anyone else think that this is a slightly ludicrous statement to make? You wouldn't deliberately endanger someone like that. Chances are it was accidentally loosened by one of the camera team on the stack.
Rosie A 18 Aug 2007
In reply to Toby S:
> (In reply to Rosie A)
>
> My missus who is a non-climber watched it and thought TE came across really well and very encouraging. She now wants to go to the wall on Sunday.
>

Ooh, I'd watch her... he is quite fit y'know! HA!

Jonno 18 Aug 2007

>
> Authentic.............great plug at the end for climbing walls, guides, instructors and climbing schools!>

And that's a good thing ?

Whatever happened to tagging along with some well-ard climbers who smoke roll-ups,drink to excess and sport facial scars.

Rosie A 18 Aug 2007
In reply to Toby S:

I think it was genuine; why would they stage that in a programme that was so obviously encouraging people to climb?
 Toby S 18 Aug 2007
In reply to Rosie A:
> (In reply to Toby S)
> [...]
>
> Ooh, I'd watch her... he is quite fit y'know! HA!

She's also said she'd like to get her hands on Dave Macleod, purely in a professional context as a massage therapist of course.

I'm starting to have suspicions.
 Jon Claw 18 Aug 2007
In reply to Glyn Jones:

Yep...sounds like you get a lot of practice at "holding your own"
Rosie A 18 Aug 2007
In reply to Toby S:

lol... eclectic tastes!
 riddle 18 Aug 2007
In reply to Mutl3y: The only person who can tell us about that wayward boulder is TE. Someone must know him, get the truth FFS!!!
Great programme though lots of my non climbing buds just said i was crazy!
 sutty 18 Aug 2007
In reply to riddle:

>The only person who can tell us about that wayward boulder is TE.

Doesn't he write stuff on the Planet Fear website, I expect he has read this thread anyway and just biding his time to say what he is allowed to. That is if he wants to work with the BBC again on other programmes, remember it is his livelyhood.

Pylon king,sorry, you must have been watching another programme, I saw no Red Bull, just someone who encouraged, cajoled and used whatever was needed to get the lass up the routes.

Now, which wall does she work out on?
 abarro81 18 Aug 2007
better than the view of fat middle aged punters into kendal mint cake and tweed
the adrenaline fueled trance monkeys are the most fun peeps to go climbing with by far!
Yrmenlaf 18 Aug 2007
In reply to Mutl3y:

A good programme, I thought: expressed a lot of the reasons I climb.

Y.
Jonno 18 Aug 2007
In reply to sutty:

Pity they couldn't have added some extra authenticity to the mix...

The sardines...the emulsified corned beef sandwiches mixed up with over ripe banana which has managed to congeal at the bottom of your sac.
The dented flask which has leaked all over your 1978 guidebook. And of course ones rucsac which is speckled with suspicious dark stains and grime, Ditto your slings,extenders and runner cord from which sprouts dried vegetation and sheep shit picked up as you scooped everything up as the rain belted down.

I wanted to see Julia in her ripped combats and bargain basement Gelert fleece with the collar hanging off and rock boots one size too small borrowed from a mate who bought them from that place in Bethesda in 1985.

Rob Naylor 18 Aug 2007
In reply to Rosie A:
> (In reply to Toby S)
>
> I think it was genuine; why would they stage that in a programme that was so obviously encouraging people to climb?

I reckon it was loosened/ knocked off accidentally by one of the camera crew/ safety team setting up above to cover the next pitch.
 sutty 18 Aug 2007
In reply to Jonno:

Oh Jonno, that took me back. Leaking paraffin stove in same pocket as pot of jam, somehow got contaminated. Tins of food, then no tin opener, then cannot get into the youth hostel as it is booked up all weekend so try opening tins with stones and knife, not the best tools for the job. Slept in hay barn with no sleeping bag, luckily the weather was good.

All that at 15 years old, soon learned to do things better.
 Mark Sheridan 18 Aug 2007
In reply to Toby S:
> (In reply to Rosie A)
> Someone made a comment further up that the block that fell was in some way staged. Does anyone else think that this is a slightly ludicrous statement to make? You wouldn't deliberately endanger someone like that. Chances are it was accidentally loosened by one of the camera team on the stack.

Anyone who thinks that the falling block was staged must be a complete tw*t. Apart from the fact that there would be a serious risk of death or injury, it would be impossible to stage with the crew and eqipment they had; that block must have weighed fifty to one hundred kilos.I would imagine Paul Pritchard might have an opinion on it.
Rosie A 18 Aug 2007
In reply to Rob Naylor:

Good point. I agree wi you that she probably didn't take the gear out. Lucky thing, I can think of a few climbing partners whose gear I'd happily leave to a safety team to remove! HA!
 Gael Force 18 Aug 2007
In reply to Mutl3y: I think they got helicoptered off as it didnt show the descent,which would have been a highlight otherwise.
Not surprised as it would be a bit scary on your 3rd climb to do that abseil..
 riddle 18 Aug 2007
In reply to Mutl3y: So Mr Tim, if are reading this link put your skin to the keys and gives the scoup on the block.
Geoffrey Michaels 18 Aug 2007
In reply to Gael Force:

Even scarier to be helicoptered off I'd say although that is a scary abseil. I'd like to have seen the abseil but I think they did it, why on earth would they get a helicopter for just that?
 Toby S 18 Aug 2007
In reply to riddle:
> (In reply to Mutl3y) So Mr Tim, if are reading this link put your skin to the keys and gives the scoup on the block.

Don't be daft, why do you need some kind of 'proof' that the block fall was staged. There's no way in hell any producer would let something like that happening. Dave Cuthbertson was listed on the credits of that program and I'm fairly sure that he wouldn't be party to something as irresponsible as staging a rock fall.
In reply to Toby S:

Tha ceann goirt agam an diugh!
 sutty 18 Aug 2007
In reply to Toby S:

Brian Hall was listed as safety officer I think, anyway if it is crap this evening you can see it all over again on BBC2.
 icnoble 18 Aug 2007
In reply to Mutl3y: Apparently JB didn't do the first pitch of the Old Man of Stoer, nor did she take any gear out.
 panyan 18 Aug 2007
In reply to icnoble:

Great climb now postponed till tomorrow due to adverse weather.
In reply to panyan:

Good call that I think. It's pissing it down 30 miles north.
 Toby S 18 Aug 2007
In reply to Donald M:
> (In reply to Toby S)
>
> Tha ceann goirt agam an diugh!

:0)

s'mise cuideachd.
 thomasadixon 18 Aug 2007
In reply to Rosie A:

I'm sure I saw gear on her harness in the old man of stoer bit.

Good program, glad she seemed to be enjoying herself at the end.
Ian Hill 18 Aug 2007
In reply to Mutl3y:

just watching this now, Tim comes across really well, keen, encouraging, enthusiastic

but they so have...
sam the man 18 Aug 2007
In reply to Mutl3y: Just watched it and thought it was awesome-agreed some of the camera work wasn't fantastic, but in general it was a good celebration of how awesome British climbing is. Also it was nice to see a beginner doing something other than bouldering, sport climbing or indoor climbing-this was British climbing as it should be-adventurous, outdoors and exciting. Good programme!
Sam
MisterTrimble 18 Aug 2007
This programme stank of set-up to me, first find a "novice" who after a bit of girlie squealing is able to second a VS, boasting that she had never once fallen off. If you work in TV (I do) you'll know that nothing is as it seems, including that rock fall.
 thomasadixon 18 Aug 2007
In reply to MisterTrimble:

I don't get this. Why are people so surprised/sceptical that after a short time climbing someone can second a VS? I reckon I could have and I'm nothing special, a mate of mine lead 6a at the wall first time he went there without a problem. Is it just because she's a (female) TV presenter?
Removed User 18 Aug 2007
As you work in tv perhaps you will be able to inform those of us of the good ship gullible how you make it pass so close to ones head as it looked pretty close to me.
As for girlie squealing the last time I was at the roaches the most complaints/whines/whinges seemed to be coming from my fellow chaps ( including me I must admit )
Can I ask why the novice was surrounded by "'s.
Come on chaps stop being so cynical.There was a comment a few posts ago about arses own ones up or something similar and Im starting to see why....no "offence"meant of course
Removed User 18 Aug 2007
Whoops forgot to insert the word head
philmountains 18 Aug 2007
Well you all seem to miss the point! Juls aint arf fit ,and what else have we on the Beeb or ITV etc.. Re mountains?
I used to enjoy climbing a few years back, unfortunately this caused me to come into cotact with other climbers, who are mostly ego driven w***ers. Everyone trying to outdo one-another, "I seconded a HVS, 'well I just soloed an e3 blindfolded' etc".
I also was a member of this site, but departed due to the same attitude of folk on these boards. As I said I enjoyed the sport, but have now abandoned it due to the attitude of other climbers, it's not an inclusive sport and I think that this programme showed that.
 icnoble 18 Aug 2007
In reply to MisterTrimble: Well said. I am aged 52 and have just done my first trad lead, a vdiff at Stannage. I also sport climb which I enjoy imensly
 kevin stephens 18 Aug 2007
In reply to Mutl3y:

So which clumbsy cameraman knocked the rocks down?
 The Pylon King 18 Aug 2007
> I used to enjoy climbing a few years back, unfortunately this caused me to come into cotact with other climbers, who are mostly ego driven w***ers. Everyone trying to outdo one-another, "I seconded a HVS, 'well I just soloed an e3 blindfolded' etc".
> I also was a member of this site, but departed due to the same attitude of folk on these boards. As I said I enjoyed the sport, but have now abandoned it due to the attitude of other climbers, it's not an inclusive sport and I think that this programme showed that.

thats a bit sad really because its quite easy to avoid the ego wankers and get out to some beautiful places with good freinds and do some great climbing - i know i do.
 Duz Walker 18 Aug 2007

Good point, well made.

Yet I do not believe all climbers are willy wavers (or whatever the female equivalent is, mam swingers perhaps...). The best banter I find is always about how crap we have all been. Most of us compete with only ourselves, I hope.
 Rob Naylor 18 Aug 2007
> I used to enjoy climbing a few years back, unfortunately this caused me to come into cotact with other climbers, who are mostly ego driven w***ers. Everyone trying to outdo one-another, "I seconded a HVS, 'well I just soloed an e3 blindfolded' etc".

I came late to climbing (started at 42) and I've had just the exact opposite experience: most of the climbers I've met have been great people, helpful and very inclusive even of someone at the level of extreme bumbliness that I exhibit. Seen very little evidence of people trying to outdo one another...mainly seen evidence of people trying to outdo themselves.

It's given me a great last 10 years, and my only regret is that I didn't get into it much sooner. I've met a few "ego driven wankers" sure, but the vast majority I've found to be much easier to get on with, and much less "keeping-up-appearances-driven" than the average person I meet.

Even the "names" I've met have been almost all great people. Those I've shared as rope with have never made me feel inadequate over the fact that they were climbing 10 grades below their norm with me, they've just enjoyed the routes.
Oh well, perhaps it's just the climbers around south wales that behave like this, I know after a few months climbing, no-one wanted to climb with me as I was not up to their standard, equally I could not not climb with anyone at my level, since neither of us could lead a route. Good luck to those who can find good partners, but the sport is lost to me.
Jonno 18 Aug 2007
>
> I also was a member of this site, but departed due to the same attitude of folk on these boards.>

Thank Christ for that....Couldn't you have departed a bit more permanently !!!
layback larry 19 Aug 2007
> (In reply to IanJackson)
>
> Cracking I thought. Emmett came across well and enthusiastic (bit too many awesomes and brilliants mind), and Bradbury came across great, very genuine: and Ben Pritchard's filming was....well...awesome and....brilliant.
>
> Authentic.............great plug at the end for climbing walls, guides, instructors and climbing schools!

Tim says awesome and brilliant all the time, thats part and parcel of who he is. If you ever meet him away from the camera you'll realise he's no different.

Chris

Rob Naylor 19 Aug 2007
In reply to layback larry:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
> [...]
>
> Tim says awesome and brilliant all the time, thats part and parcel of who he is. If you ever meet him away from the camera you'll realise he's no different.

This is true. Met him a couple of times, including having a free hour's instruction/ tips on ice climbing from him. The "awesomes", "brilliants" and "good efforts" were coming thick and fast. He's a good lad.

No doubt we'll be seeing more of him on TV, since he seems to have gone down really well with non-climbing viewers, if comments I've seen on another site are anything to go by.
 Rob Naylor 19 Aug 2007
In reply to Jonno:
> (In reply to MisterTrimble)
> [...]
>
>
> Thank Christ for that....Couldn't you have departed a bit more permanently !!!

Reinforcing Mr T's prejudices about climbers in Wales nicely there!
 Rob Naylor 19 Aug 2007
> Oh well, perhaps it's just the climbers around south wales that behave like this, I know after a few months climbing, no-one wanted to climb with me as I was not up to their standard, equally I could not not climb with anyone at my level, since neither of us could lead a route. Good luck to those who can find good partners, but the sport is lost to me.

Pity. But it souds as if you got in with a particularly up themselves group. I've never felt excluded, or as if I was holding anyone back, even when I've been "the" bumbly in a group of mid-E climbers. Rocktalkers in particuilar have been very friendly and helpful.

Jonno 19 Aug 2007
In reply to Mutl3y:

Rather anorakishly I've now seen it three times after watching the BBC2 repeat yesterday.

The criticism re the camera work is just not on. It was visually arresting with some creative camera work and clever use of music creating something that looked good and sounded good.
The production company....was it Triple Echo, it usually is...really packaged the whole thing well and the programme managed to pack a lot of good stuff into an hour slot.

You might say that it would have been better to make three 45/60mins progs rather than cram it all into one progranmme but perhaps if the Beeb find that URC was a hit with the general public it might commission more rock climbing progs....and about time too we would all say.

idiotproof 19 Aug 2007
In reply to Mutl3y:

I enjoyed it and thought it showed a good image of what climbing is about. Admittedly she jumped straight in at 'level 2' very few peoples 3rd climb woul;d be quite so immesnce. But VS is do-able on a second for alot of people after only a couple of climbs.

Can't see any of the climbers involved being so irresponsible to stage the rockfall even if the producer did want a bit of staged excitment

Liked the idea of putting slackiline round wheel and then backing up slightly to tension!!
 Rob Naylor 19 Aug 2007
In reply to Jonno:
> (In reply to Mutl3y)

> The criticism re the camera work is just not on. It was visually arresting with some creative camera work and clever use of music creating something that looked good and sounded good.

I disagree. I thought the camera work on Crackstone Rib and on OMOS was OK, pretty good in parts, but on Commando Ridge I thought it was dire. Far too much of JB's head cam, and not enough made of the opportunites for really dramatic shots on the firt pitch and on some of the later fins.

I suspect there were some constraints on the first pitch due to the need to keep the safety team out of shot, but I was still disappointed there. There should have been some great shots of her climbing the steep juggy wall above the ramp after "going round the corner", coupled with some panning down into the zawn for effect. The situation there is awesome and I just don't think the camera captured it.

Similarly for some of the fins higher up: a well-positioned camera could have captured her traversing along the tops with great views of the actual drop. Someone posted either higher up here or on another thread that perhaps, as time was pressing, she took a couple of the "easier option" alternatives so the shots weren't there to be had. I'd be inclined to agree as otherwise it's hard to see why the opportunity was passed up.
 Chris H 19 Aug 2007
In reply to Rob Naylor: I agree - you didn`t get any idea of the "ridgeyness" of CR. I thought all 3 climbs were tough for a beginner and falling off would have led to a big swing in a lot of cases - so ahem good effort.
 Steve Parker 19 Aug 2007
In reply to Mutl3y:

I was rather surprised he took her on routes with so much swing potential. Not the usual thing with beginners. You normally want the rope above them at all times. But she handled it all pretty well. Good on her.
 Martin W 19 Aug 2007
In reply to Jonno:

> The production company....was it Triple Echo, it usually is

A Darlow Smithson production, according to the credits.

I think the trouble with the Commando Ridge section of the programme might have stemmed from their attempt to use the helmet cams. If the footage they showed was the best they got then that probably explains why they didn't use them for the other two climbs. The camera on Julia's helmet was obviously making it sit at a very odd angle, which I can't imagine would have helped her to feel comfortable on her first outdoor climb.
 Rob Naylor 19 Aug 2007
In reply to Martin W:

But they had static cameras there as well.
 JMarkW 19 Aug 2007
> I also was a member of this site, but departed due to the same attitude of folk on these boards. As I said I enjoyed the sport, but have now abandoned it due to the attitude of other climbers, it's not an inclusive sport and I think that this programme showed that.

Well I think thats utter bollocks. maybe a bit on here, but I've hardly ever experienced that at the crag.

I though the program was great, Tim is like climbing's answer to David Beckham with a bit of Asley the Butcher from Corry thrown in.
OP Mutl3y 19 Aug 2007
In reply to Mutl3y: A lot of people seem to have mentioned how (over) enthusiastic Tim sounds. Remember when he was Leo's "helper" in that Top Gear episode? He sounded exactly the same that time 'round - must be a really genuinely enthusiastic guy.
 Rob Naylor 19 Aug 2007
In reply to Mutl3y:

I've met Tim twice, one time being when he gave me a free session of ice-climbing tips and instruction. He peppered the conversations wth "awesomes", "brilliants", and "good efforts" then, too. He's a genuinely very enthusiastic guy.

He might come over as "over" enthusiastic on TV, but in my case his enthusiasm had only positive effects..after half an hour I found myself quite happily climbing only-just-off-vertical ice with only one axe ("it's a good thing to know how to do in case you drop a tool").
 catt 20 Aug 2007
In reply to Mutl3y:

I missed the first 20mins or so but thought it was very good. Nice to see some real climbing and I could relate loads to her emotions. Also nice to see those parts of the country get some coverage too. I'd love to climb the Old Man of Stoer.

Highly enjoyable, both of them came across really well I thought.

re the rockfall, it looked to me that Tim dislodged it himself when he reached up. You would never fake that though.
 co1ps 20 Aug 2007

> It just perpetuates the public view of rock climbers being adrenelin fuelled bleached haired hedonists into red bull and banging trance.-. C*nts

I thought the programme perpetuated the view that climbers were a bunch of numpties clanging huge amounts of ironmongery on crap easy trad.
The DWS at least gave a little perspective, although they should have spend the day boulsering in the Pass rather than wasting their time on Crackstone rib.
mike swann 20 Aug 2007
In reply to co1ps:

> I thought the programme perpetuated the view that climbers were a bunch of numpties clanging huge amounts of ironmongery on crap easy trad.

Yes, you hear that comment every day in Sainsbury's. Woman at the checkout just yesterday was saying about Mick Fowler, what's he ever done on grit, etc, etc.

neilh 20 Aug 2007
In reply to Mutl3y:

I thought that it was some of the most boring telly I'd watched this year. After 10/15 minutes I switched it off.

Rock climbing like this just does not suit mainstream telly. Never has done, never will imho.

tony 20 Aug 2007
In reply to co1ps:
>
> [...]
>
> I thought the programme perpetuated the view that climbers were a bunch of numpties clanging huge amounts of ironmongery on crap easy trad.
> The DWS at least gave a little perspective, although they should have spend the day boulsering in the Pass rather than wasting their time on Crackstone rib.

Aye, bouldering - I can see that making a big impression on Joe Public...
 davidwright 20 Aug 2007
In reply to Rosie A:
> (In reply to Mutl3y)
>

No it was the wire he placed just before steping round the corner on to the rib. Its there when you see him go round but not when she sets off. It was also extended a lot to try and prevent just that happening. Quite glad really 'cos the runner I placed there did exactly the same as I was going up the rib. ...
 Katya 20 Aug 2007
Bah, I missed the program

Any ideas if there's going to be a repeat? Or is it possible to get it off the web somewhere?
 Marc C 20 Aug 2007
In reply to nkittie: I taped it, so you're welcome to borrow it if you can't find it elsewhere.
 Toby S 20 Aug 2007
In reply to nkittie:

You can download it off the BBC iplayer. You need to register for it first though.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayerbeta/
 Simon 20 Aug 2007
In reply to neilh:
> (In reply to Mutl3y)
>
> I thought that it was some of the most boring telly I'd watched this year. After 10/15 minutes I switched it off.
>
> Rock climbing like this just does not suit mainstream telly. Never has done, never will imho.

Theres always one moaning minni...

This Friday its Kate Humble getting dirty in Titan - how goods that going to be??

;0)

Si

Jonno 20 Aug 2007
In reply to neilh:
> (In reply to Mutl3y)
>
> I thought that it was some of the most boring telly I'd watched this year. After 10/15 minutes I switched it off.
>
>

So your opinion is worth feck all then really.
Tim Emmett 20 Aug 2007
In reply to Mutl3y:

Thanks for all the comments guys.

I can tell you that Julia is a really nice person and I teach her to base jump in a future programme, which should be on in the spring.

Tim

p.s. I am not gay.
Jonno 20 Aug 2007
In reply to Tim Emmett:
> (In reply to Mutl3y)
>
> Thanks for all the comments guys.
>
> I can tell you that Julia is a really nice person and I teach her to base jump in a future programme, which should be on in the spring.
>
> Tim
>
> p.s. I am not gay.

And what exactly does a salt water enenama feel like !

rich 20 Aug 2007
In reply to Jonno: slightly more sting-y than a fresh water enema would be my guess
 sandywilson 20 Aug 2007
In reply to Tim Emmett:

Good programme Tim. I played it back to keep some youngsters quiet at a family party yesterday and now have a 6yo nephew and 14yo niece who want to go climbing. Good effort!
 Ridge 20 Aug 2007
In reply to Tim Emmett:
> (In reply to Mutl3y)
>
>
> I can tell you that Julia is a really nice person and I teach her to base jump in a future programme, which should be on in the spring.

And as to the other question regarding yourself and Julia?
 ANC 20 Aug 2007
In reply to Tim:

Couldnt the Beeb find someone with some experience for another programe. Someone whom is perhaps a little more atune to the idea of climbing ie keen from the outset. Some harder climbs. ie a sort of 'Dosage' uk. What every climber really wants to see (perhaps im wrong). Good program as an intro for rock though. And good effort from jules on the OMS - some good exposure.

Another idea for a show. All DWS. England - Youself. Up here in Scotland perhaps Julian Lines....??? Some trad too....?
 Banned User 77 20 Aug 2007
In reply to Angus N Clark: I don't think the programme was for 'climbers'. They knew climbers would watch it, but I think it was for mainstream TV.
Jonno 20 Aug 2007
In reply to Angus N Clark:
> (In reply to Tim)
>
> Couldnt the Beeb find someone with some experience for another programe. Someone whom is perhaps a little more atune to the idea of climbing ie keen from the outset. Some harder climbs. ie a sort of 'Dosage' uk. What every climber really wants to see (perhaps im wrong). Good program as an intro for rock though. And good effort from jules on the OMS - some good exposure.
>
> Another idea for a show. All DWS. England - Youself. Up here in Scotland perhaps Julian Lines....??? Some trad too....?>

Sorry.....didn't understand a word of that ?
 Skyfall 20 Aug 2007

You just don't get it do you. 99% of the population do not climb and so want to see it from their perspective. Which is what they got, and it was an excellent prog. They don't want to see something quite specialist which won't mean anything to the vast majority of them.

And "good exposure" on OMS hardly does it and Julia B justice. Top effort if you ask me.
 ring ouzel 20 Aug 2007
In reply to Tim Emmett:

>
> p.s. I am not gay.

Uh oh, wrong thing to say Tim. Darren Jackson will now be convinced you're after his bird AND he has just won the Lotto so is splashing the cash!

johnsdowens 20 Aug 2007
In reply to nkittie:
> Bah, I missed the program
>
> Any ideas if there's going to be a repeat? Or is it possible to get it off the web somewhere?

Repeat? I think it's been on 3 times in Scotland already since last week. Not sure if they made a cock-up with the schedules or something.
G A Hardie 20 Aug 2007
In reply to Mutl3y: A lot of comments about how well Julia did (and deservedly so) but unless I've missed a comment elsewhere Tim should get plaudits for climbing those routes with a novice on belay.........

As for the rock fall - my first impression was that another member of the crew had probably dislodged the rocks - there was quite enough drama going on without the need to stage anything.........
 neilh 20 Aug 2007
In reply to Simon:

I simply found it not entertaining.Stone monkey is imho the only one that ever has been any good.

There is more excitment in coronation street..........

Glyn Jones 20 Aug 2007
In reply to neilh: stick to bloody Coronation Street then.

;~)
 ANC 20 Aug 2007
Think some of you have confused what i was getting at. Yes the program was a good introduction to rock for none climbers, and as i mentioned a good effort from Jules. I was only adding that for those of us whom already climb an alternative programme could be made.
 Horse 20 Aug 2007

I think the BBC were attempting to do that but rained stopped play.
 catt 20 Aug 2007
> I was only adding that for those of us whom already climb an alternative programme could be made.

They already did it. The Face. You can get it on VHS. 6 episodes including Cubby and Lynn Hill new routing on Pabbay.
Knitted Simian 20 Aug 2007
In reply to neilh:

Stone Monkey is ok but the dream sequence is excrutiatingly pretentious.

Give me a Sid Perou film any day.
 Pythonist 20 Aug 2007
In reply to Mutl3y:
Having missed both Friday and the repeat, does anyone know any way of seeing this again? Didn't BBC have a new "see old things online" player going on...
 tonanf 20 Aug 2007
In reply to Mutl3y: I watched a bit, I am glad to see climbing on tv but I think they should haved got someone who was up for climbing and not quite so scared of everything.
 Nigel Modern 21 Aug 2007
In reply to Tim Emmett: 'Thanks for all the comments guys' - here's one more...

Best climbing programme since what's his name on Old Man of Hoy in the 60s or 70s...I'm too old to remember...

My mate and I were having a debate...the close ups on the Old Man...long shots from the cliffs with you and 'er miked up or lots of abseiling down with cameras from the top. Whichever it was to my mind you (the producer, rather) managed to hide all kerfuffle which must have been created by the filming really well.

My 10 year old was transfixed and dragged me down the wall for the first time since Easter (don't ask, bad year) and his first time since he gave up because he couldn't climb as well as Dad. He's now doing 5+ (that's my boy) and stands a chance...and getting people like him into the sport is the future of climbing, Ta mate, NM
 aln 21 Aug 2007
In reply to Mutl3y: You moaning faced c*nts. Didn't get a perfect climbing prog on TV? Ooooh, wot a surprise. If yer that bovvered go and make yer own. I liked seeing hills crags beautiful mountain landscapes on telly. Oh Dear, someone didn't clip something properly. Either did I last week, kill me.
In reply to aln:

It's just a discussion, stop whingeing. If you don't like this debate, go and start yer own.
 aln 21 Aug 2007
In reply to Alison Stockwell: It's a debate?
In reply to aln:

Well, amongst 160 or so comments there's got to be an opinion or two in there somewhere, even if none of them are valid.
 Michael Ryan 21 Aug 2007
In reply to Alison Stockwell:
> (In reply to aln)
>
> Well, amongst 160 or so comments there's got to be an opinion or two in there somewhere, even if none of them are valid.

Everyone I've talked to thought Ultimate Climbs really good. I enjoyed it.

Adam Greenwood 21 Aug 2007
In reply to Mutl3y:

I liked it n'all, and it's pretty hard to get me near the telly these days. I liked it enough to be shouting "go on, you can do it" at Julia on the last route - and I have a rule about only fancying people in real life (and who might actually fancy me, which narrows it down a LOT ) so that wasn't why either. Enjoyed it more than any of the stuff I've seen with "top climbers" showing off (but then I've not seen a lot of that, to be honest).

Everyone I've talked to enjoyed it too even if they may have thought a few things could have been done differently. But that's not grumbling in my opinion, it's intelligent viewing and says a lot for the programme. Perhaps I'd better watch it. Does anyone know it it's going to be shown again?

> But that's not grumbling in my opinion, it's intelligent viewing and says a lot for the programme

Just as those complaining that JB was 'whinging all the time' seem to have seen something different to me; I thought she was being quite objective about herself and her abilities and feelings, and she managed to talk herself into completing the climbs when she was quite clearly rather stressed. Good on her.

I particularly liked the point where she started to upbraid Tim when he seemed to be taking a while to get the belay set up (or, more likely, some filming or other safety shenanigans were preventing her climbing): "I'm getting rather cold down here, and I just want to get on and climb to the top". At that point, I thought she'd become a true climber...

Excellent television. Whatever its faults, it was infinitely better than the likes of big brother. And I use the term 'infinitely' advisedly.
 aln 21 Aug 2007
In reply to Alison Stockwell: Alison, we may have got off on the wrong foot. I wasn't whingeing about the programmes, I was whingeing about the folk whingeing about the programmes. I liked the programmes. Like I said, good to see mountains, hills, crags, climbers etc on TV.
 aln 21 Aug 2007
In reply to captain paranoia: I'm wondering about the word "upbraid" you used. Is it a word I don't know, or slang, a climbing term I'm not familiar with? Not piss-taking, curious.
 Horse 21 Aug 2007
In reply to captain paranoia:

You watch Big Brother? I shall have to remember that detail.
 Bob 21 Aug 2007

I thought it was pretty enjoyable and quite well done. Yes there were some things that could have been done better, like the camera work on Commando Ridge, but it did manage to show the feeling of what it is like to climb pretty well.

Here's a review:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv_and_radio/story/0,,2151401,00.html

And comment:
http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/tv_and_ra...

http://library.digiguide.com/lib/uk-tv-highlight/Ultimate+Rock+Climb-1069

http://www.mirror.co.uk/showbiz/tv/todaystv/2007/08/17/ultimate-rock-climb-...

Seems like it was fairly well received.

boB
Jonno 21 Aug 2007
In reply to Bob:

'Emmett's top tip....don't look down '

Perhaps that's where I've being going wrong ?
Kipper 21 Aug 2007
In reply to Bob:
>
> Seems like it was fairly well received.
>

I looked at the BBC website sometime Saturday morning and the most searched term was 'rock climbing'.
In reply to aln:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/upbraid

It does say "Archaic" next to one of the defns though.

Curiously, one of the Google ads that came up on that page when I looked was "Rope by the Foot, Manila, Nylon, Polypro, Cotton. Cut to length. Call Us 877...." so maybe it is a climbing reference after all. (not sure I'd like to be roped by the foot though).
In reply to aln:
> (In reply to Alison Stockwell) Alison, we may have got off on the wrong foot. I wasn't whingeing about the programmes, I was whingeing about the folk whingeing about the programmes. I liked the programmes. Like I said, good to see mountains, hills, crags, climbers etc on TV.

I know.

I'm saying that I don't mind people whingeing about the programmes; I class that as critical viewing and it doesn't necessarily mean that the programme isn't good; just that people are watching proactively instead of passively.
But I'm also saying that I can't stand people whingeing about individuals, especially when they are climbers.

OK
 aln 21 Aug 2007
In reply to Alison Stockwell: Lovely. Did you just upbraid me? I hope so.
In reply to aln:
> (In reply to Alison Stockwell) Lovely. Did you just upbraid me? I hope so.

Hehe. Feel free to take it in whatever way you want.

:-P
 Stevie A 21 Aug 2007
He is a wuss. I did the swim to Stoer in the buff (climbing helmet and rope excepted).
 Michael Ryan 21 Aug 2007
In reply to Bob:
>

"But Tim Emmett, the one on the front end of the rope, is the Ronaldo of rock-climbing. This dude makes Jason Bourne look like a girl."

Class quote. Hope the hyper-child uses that!

Mick

Hmmm... an interesting review.

This assessment is remarkable coming from a non-climber;

"The real joy is when Tim gets to unclip himself from Julia and show us what he can do, let loose. We're back in Wales, and he's showing off, but why not? He dispenses with ropes and harnesses and scales a sheer, glassy slate face above a flooded quarry, as if there was a ladder there. It's incredibly graceful."

Perhaps proper brilliant climbing is interesting to the general public after all.
 Skyfall 21 Aug 2007

It was good but not *that* good. Sticking to the slate theme, if they'd shown the Dawes on the Quarryman I rather suspect they'd have thought it must have been CGI'd.
In reply to Mutl3y:

The reviews reminded me of one of the best/funniest bits, when she was afflicted with fear-induced tourettes and said everything except what she really wanted to... "faaaww... fuuu... ferr...". I can remember that feeling (from not that far back, since my head was a bit rusty at the start of this year).
 Rob Naylor 22 Aug 2007
>
> Hmmm... an interesting review.
>
> This assessment is remarkable coming from a non-climber;
>
> "The real joy is when Tim gets to unclip himself from Julia and show us what he can do, let loose. We're back in Wales, and he's showing off, but why not? He dispenses with ropes and harnesses and scales a sheer, glassy slate face above a flooded quarry, as if there was a ladder there. It's incredibly graceful."
>
> Perhaps proper brilliant climbing is interesting to the general public after all.

I was arguing with people on a non-climbing forum who said that climbing "wasn't a spectator sport". My analogy was that this programme, in terms of showing what cutting-edge climbing is like, was like showing traffic moving slowly round the M25 rather than a Fomula 1 race.

I posted some links to Sandrine Levet and Tyler Landman doing stuff and got some very enthusiastic "see what you means" back.

That said, it seems to have interested a lot of my non-climbing acquaintances.

I still reckon the camera work on Commando Ridge was disappointing,though, as per my critique way above.... hope that doesn't classify me as a "moaner"!
 Twisty 22 Aug 2007
In reply to Mutl3y:

Did anyone record it????????

i was in Font and forgot to get anyone to record it for me!

I heard it was awsome

Cheers
Alex
 Graham Ad 22 Aug 2007
In reply to Adam Greenwood:
>
> fear-induced tourettes and said everything except what she really wanted to... "faaaww... fuuu... ferr...".

LOL.
Fear is clearly multifaceted - I thought it was brown...

For what it's worth, I thought it was great. I did idly wonder what it might have been with roles reversed...
Lucy Creamer leading Ben Fogle...

mike swann 22 Aug 2007
In reply to Graham Ad: Who's Ben Fogle?
theblondeone 22 Aug 2007
In reply to Tim Emmett:
> > >
> p.s. I am not gay.

Best news I've heard all year Tim!!!

Great programme though - saw it on Sat - stayed in especially. Are you planning any more like that?

In reply to Horse:

> You watch Big Brother? I shall have to remember that detail.

Ha. ha.

No; that's how any other programme could be infinitely more interesting:

non-zero interest / zero interest = division by zero error...
In reply to aln:

> I'm wondering about the word "upbraid" you used

A dictionary can be useful...

upbraid upĀ­bradĀ¢,
verb transitive to reproach or chide; to adduce in reproach

(c) Larousse plc. All rights reserved
 zukator 25 Aug 2007
I thought this programme did very little for climbing - it was too centred on Tim Emmet. Nice boy, and good climber, but not a very good instructor - there are very many more capable instructors around, and the showing off bits were out of context completely. Paul Winterton, who did the 'Ultimate White Water' programme was in a different league: very capable, cool and always emphasising the achievements of the person he was instructing. His depth of experience and competence was inspiring ... I'm afraid T.E. came across as a callow youth in comparison.
 sutty 26 Aug 2007
In reply to zukator:

wrong
 Toby S 26 Aug 2007
In reply to sutty:
> (In reply to zukator)
>
> wrong

Amended to 'utterly wrong'.

Tim came across as a very competent and enthusiastic guide. Exactly the kind of person you'd want if you were new to climbing. My wife is a non-climber and said his attitude would encourage her to get out on the rock.
 Padraig 26 Aug 2007
In reply to Mutl3y:

Wheyhoo! Tim has promised me a bonus if any thread reaches 200!!
P
alandougan 26 Aug 2007
In reply to sutty: I agree with you, what a lot of crap! This was mainstream tv and that is the context you have to take it in. These are professional program makers and they now what makes good tv for the general public.
 Padraig 26 Aug 2007
In reply to alandougan:
"These are professional program makers .."

What happened to the phone-in then??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...