UKC

Peak midges?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Owen W-G 05 Sep 2007
Is it still v midgy on Peak grit? I usually avoid for the month of August!
 krank 05 Sep 2007
In reply to Owen W-G:
Yep. There was loads at Ramshaw last night, so i guess they are still everywhere
 Joez 05 Sep 2007
In reply to Owen W-G:

loads round kinder
fijibaby 05 Sep 2007
In reply to Owen W-G:
"Is it still v midgy on Peak grit?"

Thanks for the reminder. Would have been a short trip of I'd forgotten the repellent.
In reply to Owen W-G:

I was out at Stanage End on Thursday evening and it was the worst I known for a long time.

The buggers even followed me back to the car and were still biting me on the drive home!!!

Bastards!!

seagull 05 Sep 2007
In reply to Owen W-G:

Provided you go somewhere with a breeze it's OK. Otherwise it can be hellish.
 seagull 05 Sep 2007
In reply to seagull:

e.g. Burbage North - not a single midge, Burbage West - didn't even get to the crag before the clouds of biting bastards drove us back.
 Flicka 05 Sep 2007
In reply to seagull:

Pretty breezy today, so anywhere high should be ok. Going to be testing this theory out at Stanage shortly!! <packs deet>
 Jacob Ram 05 Sep 2007
In reply to seagull: Burbage North was heaving in the pesky things monday dinner time . I am still scrathing now. My wife used deet and got left alone.
Vivvi 05 Sep 2007
In reply to Owen W-G:

Yes, Burbage North was horrible again yesterday.
johnj 05 Sep 2007
In reply to Owen W-G: there was loads out the other day near ladybower and it was raining, i think the wet summer has been a super intensive breeding ground for the little darlings, and until we get some cold nights it's going to be a midgefest
OP Owen W-G 05 Sep 2007
What about the limestone crags? Are they as grit centric as UKC users?
 Katie Weston 05 Sep 2007
In reply to Owen W-G:
I nearly died last thursday at Burbage north. I must have over 200 midge bites on various parts of my body and I was nearly suffocated by how many I breathed in.
Today should be alright, it's windy, but they seem to be spectacularly bad.
 Chris the Tall 05 Sep 2007
In reply to Owen W-G:
> What about the limestone crags? Are they as grit centric as UKC users?

You don't tend to get midges on limestone - not sure if its due to the acidty in the soil, the bracken, or just that they don't like the polish
 earlsdonwhu 05 Sep 2007
In reply to Owen W-G: My ankles/ wrists and neck are pebble dashed with bites from Monday! Little bastards... in fact they were really sneaky mini midges not like a respectable proper French mosquito.
 hang_about 05 Sep 2007
In reply to Owen W-G:
Not too many out tonight on Burbage North.
They were all lurking in the shade by the path. The crag itself was midge free (but very busy!).
 Flicka 05 Sep 2007
In reply to Owen W-G:

Didn't have any today at Stanage (Was there for a few hours from mid afternoon to early evening), thanks to a lovely breeze and very kind sun!
 Mutl3y 05 Sep 2007
In reply to Flicka: Yep, not one between 530 and 730 this evening. None on Burbage last two days either.
Excellent!
 seagull 06 Sep 2007
In reply to Chris the Tall:
>
> You don't tend to get midges on limestone - not sure if its due to the acidty in the soil, the bracken, or just that they don't like the polish

They're not strong enough for limestone. I can confirm that I spent a cracking evening bouldering at Raven Tor yesterday. Clear skies, a cool breeze, perfect conditions and not a midge (or fellow boulderer) in sight. Lovely.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...