UKC

PYB vs Glenmore Lodge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ads Co. 09 Sep 2007
Thinking of either one of these this winter to develop my winter skills.

Which is best alround i.e. course itself and accomodation / value for money?
 sutty 09 Sep 2007
In reply to Ads Co.:

Glenmore Lodge, they are there all the time and know the conditions best.
OP Ads Co. 09 Sep 2007
In reply to sutty: cheers sutty. have you done a winter course there?

anyone else?
 Burns 09 Sep 2007
In reply to Ads Co.:

Move. Slovenia might be a good bet.
OP Ads Co. 09 Sep 2007
In reply to Burns: pointless reply!
rich 09 Sep 2007
In reply to Ads Co.: i did a PyB winter mountaineering course a while ago and thought it was really good generally and i picked up some really useful knowledge from it

although glenmore lodge is local, PyB base themselves up there for the season so are as much on the spot and my assumption that they'd know practially enough about the area to make no difference to people on a course - 'technically' i'd be surprised if there's much to pick between them

there might be a 'cultural' difference p'raps - my perception of PyB is that they're pretty 'cautions' (not a bad thing of course) and fairly 'establishment' - these aren't quite the right words but you see what i mean maybe - PyB have a rule/tradition of getting everyone off the hill by 5pm (iirc) for tea and cakes back at base - i think that's good too but i don't know if it's a universal way of operating

i can't talk about glenmore lodge but it's possible that they have a slightly different feel so that might be a basis on which to choose - someone with experience of them might be able to help with that
 sutty 09 Sep 2007
In reply to Ads Co.:

Know people that have instructed there, and people that have done courses there and PYB and the Lodge has the best winter people.

One mate was diffident on rock before going there, went on a winter skills course to help his walking and came back raring to have a go at anything, rock or ice.
OP Ads Co. 09 Sep 2007
In reply to sutty: cheers for that.

whats the place like at Glenmore Lodge?

Good food?
 Andy Say 10 Sep 2007
In reply to rich:
The Lodge staff have to be off the hill by 4.45 to get back for their tea and cakes at 5.00. It's in the staff contract.
 dek 10 Sep 2007
In reply to Ads Co.: I did a few winter courses whilst in my teens at the Lodge. Food is excellent, as is the accomodation. Early starts are the rule, best be fit as they will push you hard on the hill. I think they have installed a bar on site now?
birdman 10 Sep 2007
In reply to Ads Co.:

The Lodge is pretty sweet, it has its own bar n restraunt area, internet access. Good facilities ie drying rooms, changing rooms. High standard of services but you'd expect that for the price you're paying. Can't comment on accomodation as i've only ever camped there with the forces and used their facilities, but i'd recomend them for sure.
In reply to Andy Say: I thought that was the PYB tea and cakes contract
Reese 11 Sep 2007
In reply to Ads Co.:

Dunno much about PYB other than that they are regularly encamped up on Creag Meagaidh for their winter stuff (saw them up there last year during the 'distinct lack of winter' spell we suffered in these parts).

The lodge is good. At the minute they are going through a refurb in one half (in that its been demolished and is being re-built to tick a lot of eco-building bits). The food is good, everything there at breakfast from porridge to fry ups, packed lunches are provided then its back for cake and coffee at 5, off to a lecture and then dinner around 7 which is usually really fine, then there's the bar upstairs which is open to 11. Night Watch staff are helpful to.

The facilities are open to all residents regardless of the course you are on, so there's a climbing wall, pool, gym, drying room, dry tooling wall and other stuff. There is also the stores for the vital peice of gear you forgot and the two on-site shops.

The trainers in generally are good and know their stuff (always good to know) and always willing to answer any questions you have. Plus side to the lodge (if it floats your boat - personally I was not impressed) is its a short drive to the Aviemore wall if you feel the need to get away, but with most things available on-site Aviemore seems a long way to go.
Reese 11 Sep 2007
forgot to add

I would say its value for money.

The accommodation is basic but its all you really need, tho I would say take an extra pillow. Showers are hot to which is always a bonus!
 Andy Say 11 Sep 2007
In reply to Snowdonia Adventures:
Actually its more the 'I'm a human too and I've got a life outside work so if you don't mind my day actually finishes at 5 rather than 6 or 7 or 8 so I'd like to stop work now if you dont mind' contract clause.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...