UKC

Advice on best areas to climb in Donegal

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Tinpan 19 Sep 2007
Looking to go to Donegal next year would like advice on best areas and general info on the area and accomedation ideas etc. Any advice thoughts welcome

We climb at vDif to HVS level in our group
fish08 19 Sep 2007
In reply to Tinpan: http://www.pete-smith.co.uk might be a good start. I quite like the look of Gola island personally.
Tinpan 19 Sep 2007
In reply to fish08: Many Thanks fish08 that a great site I will have a good look at that in due course
 Andy Say 19 Sep 2007
In reply to fish08:
Gola is great. If you can get the ferryman out of bed!
A few nice routes straight from a sandy beach on Cruit Island (which is not an island really!) a few miles south and some mega-exciting alpine scale stuff in the poisoned glen (where I have not been) as well as dead exciting vertical turf on Bingorm (where I have been the once!)

Gola is great!

There's also some nice climbing to be had on the North East coast of Donegal
Niall Grimes, BMC 19 Sep 2007
Malin Beg is a non-intimidating seacliff. Lots in the lower grades.
fish08 19 Sep 2007
In reply to Niall Grimes, BMC: And, if your going that way, Muckross is a fantastic setting.

Think you could probably base it on your travel arrangements the first time round. Choices include flying to Belfast, Derry, or Carrickfinn airports. If you were flying to Belfast it might be worth having at least a quick look at Fairhead before continuing to Donegal. Carrickfinn is a good choice if you plan to go to Gola.
Irish01 19 Sep 2007
In reply to Tinpan:

The Midges in Donegal tend to be rather viscious during the early summer, so this may be worth considering for when you go there and where you go.

The last time I was there camping in June we couldn't eat outside our tents, as soon as we had food on our forks, we all had scores of midges on them. And this was camping close to the sea!

I imagine Poisoned Glen could be alive with them as its a boggy valley on the way up to it (although I have never actually been there, just drove past).
Niall Grimes, BMC 20 Sep 2007
Irish01 20 Sep 2007
In reply to Niall Grimes, BMC:

Thats a very good resource!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...