UKC

Tremadog - single or half ropes??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Alii 28 Sep 2007
All in the title really.

Cheers, Ali
 Monk 28 Sep 2007
In reply to Alii:

I'd go for half ropes personally. No real reasons not to, and loads of potential benefits.
 Skyfall 28 Sep 2007
In reply to Alii:

half ropes no question (if you have them)
In reply to Alii: half ropes.

Wha climbs on a single in britian anyway? unless you are clipping bolts.
 woolsack 28 Sep 2007
In reply to Alii: Vector with a single rope? eek! Mind, that was how it was done
Alii 28 Sep 2007
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:
> (In reply to Alii) half ropes.
>
> Wha climbs on a single in britian anyway? unless you are clipping bolts.

I do, sometimes. A lot of the classic Lakes routes can be done with 40m of single rope, no need to take in loads of slack, ending up with 100m of rope coiled on the belay,

Looks like I'll take me 1/2s to Tremadog, just read about some abseil stations.

Cheers for the replies, Ali.
 Skyfall 28 Sep 2007
In reply to Alii:

Abseiling at Trem is a bit of an issue. There are good paths (with maintained step ladders in places!) and, having had ab ropes chucked down on top of me whilst on the crux of a route, I can testify to how blo*dy annoying it is. Basically best not to unless you have to. See this thread re BMC/local climber debates.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=225249
 Skyfall 28 Sep 2007
In reply to Alii:

That wasn't intended to imply you *would* throw ab ropes on top of anyone, just to highlight the fact there is a bit of an issue at Trem.

If you haven't been before and would like some route suggestions, just say (though I am strictly a low to mid grade climber).
Alii 28 Sep 2007
In reply to JonC:
> (In reply to Alii)
>
> Abseiling at Trem is a bit of an issue. There are good paths (with maintained step ladders in places!) and, having had ab ropes chucked down on top of me whilst on the crux of a route, I can testify to how blo*dy annoying it is. Basically best not to unless you have to. See this thread re BMC/local climber debates.
>
> http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=225249

Thanks Jon, I won't be abseiling if it's down a route.

Cheers, Ali

JDDD 28 Sep 2007
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:
> (In reply to Alii) half ropes.
>
> Wha climbs on a single in britian anyway? unless you are clipping bolts.

Any you like. You have to remember that single ropes were the norm until quite recently. There is no route you can't climb on just a single rope.
 simon geering 28 Sep 2007
In reply to Alii:

Only climbed a few routes there but would also say go with half ropes if you have them.

Happy climbing there are some nice routes there - watch out on the slabs in the rain though
Yorkspud 28 Sep 2007
In reply to Jon Dittman:
> (In reply to Tom Ripley)
> [...]
>
> Any you like. You have to remember that single ropes were the norm until quite recently. There is no route you can't climb on just a single rope.

True - you can climb any route with a single rope if you're sometimes prepared to put up with compromising your gear, rope drag and lack of flexibility.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...