UKC

NEWS: Dave MacLeod - A Living Legend..."He's good but......"

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 04 Oct 2007
Brits are such a cynical lot. With Dave MacLeod we have a truly world-class all-round climber; he boulders V14, redpoints Fr8c+, headpoints E11, winter climbs XI and M11, has soloed Fr8b, headpoints hard grit routes and this summer has established an E10 in the mountains. Yet still there is still cynicism from some and the old rumour-mill whirs round. "He's good but......"

Read more at: http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
 match 04 Oct 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Anal response alert: Caution confirmed at E8 and Impact Day suggested at E8 rather than E9, according to Dave M's blog.

Plus can add Dave B's E8 and E9 above Wastw*ter to the to do list!

Quality climbing all round.
Sarah Harding 2 04 Oct 2007
In reply to match:

I like Dave. He's brought the fun back into climbing.
MikePemberton 04 Oct 2007

> Brits are such a cynical lot.

Does make you wonder what he'd have to do to impress some people, on-sight every hard route in the uk perhaps?

If he was american, he'd no doubt have legions of whooping fans shouting 'you rrrooooccckkk dooooode!!!' - maybe cynical's not so bad
 gingerkate 04 Oct 2007
In reply to MikePemberton:
My whole family whoop for Dave MacLeod ... they watched E11 completely gripped and in awe ... but we all whoop very quietly.

Ok Mick..but can't really get your point..

Dave McCloud is obviously 'top end' stuff and good luck and congratulations to him.

But the majority of climbers are about a squilliom grades below him..I guess they/we enjoy V Diffs/Severes/VS/E1's etc and enjoy it just as much as a Dave's epic E 9's...

I admire and are sometimes envious of 'top end' bits..but I'm not ever going to reach, (or indeed want to),the 'death' stuff..

People will always push boundaries....so what if it's not me..?
 Norrie Muir 04 Oct 2007
In reply to Grinning Donkey:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
>
> Ok Mick..but can't really get your point..
>
> Dave McCloud is obviously 'top end' stuff and good luck and congratulations to him.
>
Did all the E numbers get you confused, he is Dave MacLeod.
In reply to Norrie Muir:
> (In reply to Grinning Donkey)
> [...]
> Did all the E numbers get you confused, he is Dave MacLeod.

Ahh... so he is the 'Dave McCloud'..'I'm not worthy' - who gives a ****

Norrie....that's my point..
OP Michael Ryan 04 Oct 2007

Stick wrong end.
 thomasadixon 04 Oct 2007

Nah Brits aren't a cynical lot, most people are just really impressed. Some people will always be jealous prats.
 Norrie Muir 04 Oct 2007
> (In reply to Norrie Muir)
> [...]
>
> Ahh... so he is the 'Dave McCloud'..'I'm not worthy' - who gives a ****

As you took nearlyt 4 hours hitting a keyboard you must have thought it was worth your time to make a post.
 whispering nic 04 Oct 2007

He's obviously an outstanding climber whose methodical and incredibly dedicated and focussed approach has given him great results.

Personally I get more of a kick about hearing of hard onsights, or onsight attempts than worked routes because the unpredictability and anticipation is part of what attracted me to climbing in the first place.

Dave doesn't seem to do much of that so I don't have the same level of interest in what he does as I might. That's not cynical or disrespectful, it's just a question of what 'flicks my switch'.
 Mikkel 04 Oct 2007
In reply to gingerkate:

I havent whooped as i havent seen the DVD E11 and standing at the bottom of the router just makes my eyes and mouth wide open.
Its scarry to look at it and thinking about climbing at the same time.

If people aint impressed they have never been to Dumbarton Rock.
 Erik B 04 Oct 2007
In reply to whispering nic: he does impressive onsights in winter.. in fact im pretty sure he was the first to onsight scottish grade IX, no small achievement
In reply to Norrie Muir:
> (In reply to Grinning Donkey)
> [...]
>
> As you took nearlyt 4 hours hitting a keyboard you must have thought it was worth your time to make a post.

I was too busy soloing Rhapsody..E11 my a***
 Norrie Muir 04 Oct 2007
> (In reply to Norrie Muir)
> [...]
>
> I was too busy soloing Rhapsody..E11 my a***

Whatever.
Ivegotaknackeredcomputer 05 Oct 2007

Always thought it a shame that he was'nt wearing blue when he did Rhapsody .. cos he could have called the DVD Rhapsody in Blue
 Paul B 05 Oct 2007
In reply to Ivegotaknackeredcomputer: Personally I am majorly impressed by all things Macleod, apart from his grit ascents, sorry but they really aren't in line with the current trend of improving on the previous ascentionists style.
 AGT 05 Oct 2007
I've got my pre-order in for his new dvd, i'm all for supporting the home grown climbing tallent and hopefully they can keep training as professional climbers to push the limits rather than most of us who end up stuck in the office and climbing indoors in the evenings.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...