/ NEWS: Karen Darke's Amazing El Cap Trip With Andy Kirkpatrick

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Michael Ryan - on 14 Oct 2007
Fifteen years ago Karen Darke, 36, of Inverness took a leader fall at an Aberdeen sea cliff and sustained a chest level break in her spine. Now she has made the first British paraplegic ascent of El Cap with Andy Kirkpatrick.

Karen is no stranger to adventure despite her condition. A year after her...

Read more, including an account by Andy Kirkpatrick. at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
gfam64 - on 14 Oct 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Just recently finished her book. Never cease to be amazed by the sheer determination to live by the woman. Amazing!! And I would expect no less from a Halifax, not Inverness, woman.
banned profile 74 on 14 Oct 2007 - host86-153-110-250.range86-153.btcentralplus.com
In reply to Edinburgh Mountain Film Festival: saw her on tv climbign at kilnsey,good to see her spirit hasnt been dampened by her loss of mobility,sure i wouldnt be able to handle being paralysed so fair does to her for her brilliant spirit and mental toughness
Wee Davie - on 14 Oct 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Good stuff, moving and thought provoking. Andy K delivers, he's very talented and a lucky bastard.

Davie
iceox - on 15 Oct 2007

Let's wait for the lectures.I may be a skeptic,but please let time prove me wrong.Very personal affairs should remain so.
biscuit - on 15 Oct 2007
In reply to iceox:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
>
> Let's wait for the lectures.I may be a skeptic,but please let time prove me wrong.Very personal affairs should remain so.

Eh ?

Is there something here i don't know about ?
Skyfall - on 15 Oct 2007
What a moving account, and obviously not in a back slapping way. I think we should question why we do certain things and it's quite brave of AndyK to face up to that. But often there are no easy answers.
Michael Ryan - on 15 Oct 2007
In reply to JonC:

Direct link to Andy K's account of their ascent...

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=543
rich on 15 Oct 2007 - kcpc465.rdg.ac.uk [viwc2-1.rdg.ac.uk]
In reply to JonC:
> . . . it's quite brave of AndyK to face up to that. But often there are no easy answers.

i thought that too
Skyfall - on 15 Oct 2007
In reply to biscuit:

> Eh ?
>
> Is there something here i don't know about ?

I suspect the post you were replying to was merely suggesting (in a v cryptic way) that AndyK only did this as something to put in one of his lectures.

I rather doubt that but, as Andy himself said, we do things for an amalgam of reasons it's sometimes difficult to put your finger on.
diff - on 15 Oct 2007

Amazing effort!
I greatly enjoyed Karen book too:
http://www.karendarke.com/fall.htm

Looking fwd to hearing her speak at the EMFF this Sunday.

4000 Pull ups!
Fume Troll on 17 Oct 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Just amazing.

Cheers,

FT.
robw007 - on 17 Oct 2007
We're having a go at the Nose this Spring - will undoubtedly use this story as a source of much motivation in the months of training ahead and hard times on the wall.
Incredible bravery from Karen and Andy and supporting cast.
drphill on 19 Oct 2007 - ACCA085B.ipt.aol.com
In reply to iceox:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
>
> Let's wait for the lectures.I may be a skeptic,but please let time prove me wrong.Very personal affairs should remain so.

Once every now and again I might ponder how desperate life would become if I became a paraplegic. Suicidal I imagine. It's efforts like these, and the fact that they are well publicised that mean that they can serve as an inspiration. I am wholly in awe of this fantastic achievement - well done to both of them - and keep up the good work!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.