UKC

Huber bros film 'To the Limit', Sheffield Thur a

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BrianT 05 Nov 2007
For those of you in the Sheffield area, the film 'To the Limit', which largely concerns the Huber brother's attempt at the speed climbing record for the nose of El cap, is showing at the Showroom, Sheffield, as part of the Sheffield International Documentary Film Festival.

https://sheffdocfest.com/films/view/4523

Screening times are:
Thursday 8th November 22:30
Sunday 11th November 20:00

Tickets are priced £5.50 or £4.50 concessions.

The full festival programme is here:
https://sheffdocfest.com/view/programme

There's a lot of fantastic films on, some quirky shorts, some harrowing and moving in-depth documentaries. There's even a cluster of skaeboarding films for those who like that sort of thing.

See you there.
Anonymous 05 Nov 2007
In reply to BrianT: Ace. I'll be there. You bringing the bint?
 Fredt 05 Nov 2007
In reply to Anonymous:
> (In reply to BrianT) Ace. I'll be there. You bringing the bint?

I'll await Brian's answer before I commit to going...

OP BrianT 05 Nov 2007
In reply to BrianT: I see the anonymous poster has an IP from this very University.

Well, for his information, and yours Fred, "the bint" will be in attendance, if only because she's a part of the documentary festival team (and thus gets in free). She'll be in the bar afterwards to sign autographs and take orders for copies of her new novel.
In reply to BrianT:

It's a great climbing film, is "Am Limit" .... don't expect your normal hardcore 90% climbing action sequences. It's more of an exploration of the complex relationship between Alex and Thomas and what drives them to do what they do.

A surprisingly honest film I thought.
 Fiend 05 Nov 2007
In reply to BrianT:

Good call, thanks for pointing it out.

Does it feature a lot of hardcore spiritual climbing philosophy delivered in heavy teutonic monotones?? I do hope so.
OP BrianT 06 Nov 2007
In reply to Fiend: I imagine it does, though I know bugger all about the Huber brothers and have never heard them speak.
Anonymous 06 Nov 2007
In reply to BrianT: <top tip> walley=valley </>
OP BrianT 06 Nov 2007
In reply to Anonymous:

Sanks for zat.
OP BrianT 08 Nov 2007
Just a reminder: 10.30 tonight, the Showroom, Sheffield. Right next to the train station.
Ackbar 12 Nov 2007
In reply to BrianT: Thought this was a pretty disappointing film. To much whinging from thomas. The pace and editing of the film was awful. The patgonia and austria section were completely irrelevant and the yosemite bit was so drawn out that by the end it was getting really tiring.

On top of that, speed climbing seems really pointless (although I guess I can see the appeal) and so is pulling your way up a face on bolts.

On the plus side, it has some really nice shots and really confirms my desire to go to yosemite. Also, it was interesting to see simultaneous climbing which looks really dangerous.
 Fraser 22 Nov 2007
In reply to Tom Randall - Lattice Training:
> (In reply to BrianT)
>
> It's a great climbing film, is "Am Limit" .... don't expect your normal hardcore 90% climbing action sequences.

Anyone know if this is available on DVD? Preferably with sub-titles, as I'm assuming it's in German!
 jimtitt 22 Nov 2007
In reply to Fraser:
It´s on dvd here in Germany but no subtitles I,m afraid. Try Amazon for "Am Limit"
Jim
 Fraser 22 Nov 2007
In reply to jimtitt:

Have just seen that option thanks, and may well resort to it. There's definitely no subtitles then? Bugger.
OP BrianT 23 Nov 2007
In reply to Fraser: The UK version is called 'To the limit', not 'Am limit', and it features full subtitles. Saw it at the Sheffield Doc Fest recently.
Some info and links about it here...

http://judecalverttoulmin.blogspot.com/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...