UKC

Sad person-User Profiles

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Al Evans 29 Jun 2001
I am a sad person, the user profile system has now completely rejected me. I have posted and was successfully being shown with one of those question mark thingys but it would not let me edit my profile, now it doesn't even show my question mark thingy. When I try to re-post it says I am not registered but I am. What is going on?? I am on the same computer and server I originally posted from and have tried re registering several times but it still doesnt work. Is anyone else having a problem??
 Horse 29 Jun 2001
In reply to Al Evans:

Sorry to be the one to do this but take the hint mate
Graham 29 Jun 2001
In reply to Al Evans:

As you plainly do not exist, I'm afraid I cannot reply to you.

G

BTW My profile grew a moustache of its own.
Universal Soldier 29 Jun 2001
In reply to Al Evans:
If you're that desperate to get your profile up Al, delete the cookie, hit that URL to re-register and voila.
BrianT 29 Jun 2001
In reply to Al Evans: You're looking at it from the "glass half empty" point of view Al. Try thinking along the lines of : Your profle is so impressive and dynamic that They can't allow it on the site for fear it'll make the rest of us feel like drab inarticulate slugs. It works for me.
andy 29 Jun 2001
In reply to Al Evans: I too seem to have become unregistered.

Spooky.
Al Evans 29 Jun 2001
In reply to Universal Soldier: Ey, I'm only an Attercliffe lad yer know, how do I do that?? Also what route is Nick Smith on on his profile pic??
 Horse 29 Jun 2001
In reply to Al Evans:

Universal Soldier appears to have 2 profiles in the list but still doesn't get a ? on his postings, hows that then?
Graham 29 Jun 2001
In reply to Al Evans:

Three Pebble Slab.

G
Al Evans 29 Jun 2001
In reply to Graham: I'll never,ever, believe a word you say ever again!!!!!
FH 29 Jun 2001
In reply to Al Evans:
You've seen the light and want to DELETE it. But the paranoid Fat Controlers live in fear of this so they wont let you back in.
Your profile is doomed to cyber space for eternity.

(It'll probably turn up on Red Dwarf)
In reply to Horse:
Shit, it's infectious!!
In reply to Horse:
I think you'll find you're mistaken old bean! ;~)
 Horse 29 Jun 2001
In reply to Universal Soldier:

Whats going on here, are you switching machines or what the one higher up still doesn't have the ? THis is doing my head in.
Al Evans 29 Jun 2001
In reply to Universal Soldier: On the SPA thread you come up without a question mark thingy, what is going on??
Simon Cox 29 Jun 2001
In reply to Al Evans:

Al, you are probably too unique for the system to process you - nothing to be sad about...
Graham 29 Jun 2001
In reply to Al Evans:

It *is* Three Pebble Slab.

What summit am I sat on?

G
andy 29 Jun 2001
In reply to Al Evans: Now it won't send me a registration e-mail - what's going on? Something should be said.
In reply to Horse:
It's magic!!
If I hit the URL to register, my question mark apears on all my reply's but not posted topics. If I reply to anyone (like this) you'll see that my question marks have gone.
I think it's my email address.
I registered as universalsoldier01, but on my replies it's got the middle 's' missing (I've corrected this one, but it still wont show as me)
Al Evans 29 Jun 2001
In reply to Graham: You ARE joking Graham, theres not exactly much to go on is there? I'll start with trying to guess the rock type!
 Nj 29 Jun 2001
In reply to Al Evans: I hadn't managed before, but today it clicked...maybe I am slightly less daft than you? Or maybe you are slightly smarter than me!
Al Evans 29 Jun 2001
In reply to andy: Hey, I see you live in Embsay, do you know Rons Mum and Dad??
 Steve Taylor 29 Jun 2001
In reply to Al Evans:

Looks like the caves on Marine Drive on the Orme? Mumbo Jumbo?

Looks a little bit like Neddyfields on Portland, but it isn't. Did you get your 100 e-points or whatever the other week?
Graham 29 Jun 2001
In reply to Al Evans:

Just realised that when I grew my 'tache Paint saved the picture as 256 colours, and the distinctive ridge in the background was lost.

Damn.

It's Buachaille Etive Mor, having finally completed Agag's Groove, which I had to ab off the year before, because it went dark, which is a long story.

G
 Horse 29 Jun 2001
In reply to Graham:

Ooh! that sounds interesting tell us more, I like a good epic.
Al Evans 29 Jun 2001
In reply to Steve Taylor: Yeh, we got 113pts, in retrospect it was a bit easy and I now feel F6a is a more appropriate starting point for most sport climbers to make 100pts a challenge than F5. It was quite good fun though and and added a bit of spice especially as it was so showery. Back to Boulder Ruckle this weekend on the 'real'stuff.
Graham 29 Jun 2001
In reply to Horse:

I’ve actually had two epics on Big B. The first nearly killed me twice, and the second was just plain embarrassing.

The first was prior to taking up climbing, when I went with a mate to scramble Curved Ridge. It was early June, and looking from the car we could see just a ‘tiny’ bit of snow in the descent corrie. Hence we made Mistake No. 1. and left our axes behind. As we walked in, a large cloudbank moved in, and by the time we reached the mouth of Crowberry gully, we could see about 25 feet. We found what seemed to be the start of the route and set off. The scrambling was fairly easy to begin with, but slowly got harder and harder, until we reached a steep slab about 40 feet in height blocking all further progress up the now well defined ridge. After a quick conflab I set off up this thing, soloing in steel shanked leather boots. The holds were all rounded and sloping outwards, and by the time I was 30 feet up, I was both committed and terrified. Luckily I got to the top of the slab in one piece, but my mate refused to follow, and found an easier way past it, descending into the gully and bypassing it.

At this point the mist began to thin a little, and over to our right we could see another ridge with a group of scramblers on it. A brief shouting session of ‘what route are you on’ etc. confirmed our suspicions that we were on the wrong one. It turns out that I had just soloed the Hell’s Wall (?) pitch (severe) of D Gully Buttress (I think, memory is a bit woolly and I don’t keep my guides at work). We then scrambled across to Curved Ridge and reached the top of Crowberry Tower without too much difficulty. We were rewarded by an amazing cloud inversion, with our Brocken Spectres and Glories below, and The Ben, and a few of the other bigger peaks peeping through here and there. Quite magical.

Much later on we reached the rim of the corrie to descend (can’t remember it’s name, the great big one to the side of North Buttress that has the main tourist path/descent route) to find that the ‘tiny’ bit of snow we had seen from the car was in fact the headwall of the corrie, about 600 feet of it, banked out with iced up snow. Rather than detour miles, we decided to give it a whirl, and I set off tentatively plunging steps through the now freezing crust. After a few feet my rucksack pushed me out and I was away. Whoooooosh. It was great fun at first, but after a minute or so of making whooping noises, I realised that the boulder strewn slope beyond the snow was approaching me at something like 25 miles an hour. Miraculously I managed to hit the scree running and despite shredding both my shins managed to stay on my feet running like the clappers. I came to a halt about a further hundred yards down the corrie, and had ran straight between two other walkers, who had looked more than a bit startled. Had I caught my footing at any point, I would have been pretty badly hurt. On getting back home from the trip, I joined a climbing club.

The second epic there involved playing the experienced mountaineer to my then new girlfriend, setting off much too late, faffing about, and being forced to ab off the second pitch of an easy route because it went dark. If anyone collected a Hex 8 and a long sling from mid way up the second pitch of Agag’s Groove in 1995, can I please have them back. Flailing down the same corrie as before by head torch was tiresome in the extreme. The excitement was added to by the fact that we had parked in the lay-by on the far side of the road, which has a large sign saying NO OVERNIGHT PARKING. As we picked our way down the corrie we could see the orange flashing lights of a pickup truck, which we convinced ourselves was about to tow our car away. Luckily it wasn’t.
Matt 29 Jun 2001
In reply to Graham:

Did she leave you?
Graham 29 Jun 2001
In reply to Matt:

No, she's had my baby.

G
 Horse 29 Jun 2001
In reply to Graham:

My baby, usually something of joint effort.

Good stories, particularly enjoyed the snow slide. SHould do it in winter top to bottom in about 5 mins when the snow is right. Even better under moonlight.
Matt 29 Jun 2001
In reply to Graham:

Al Evans 29 Jun 2001
In reply to Matt: Excuse me, have you got the wrong thread? This one is supposed to be getting User Profiles sorted out, can we have some help please CharlesNickAlan??????
jude calvert-toulmin 29 Jun 2001
In reply to Horse: "Sorry to be the one to do this but take the hint mate " lol. just what i was going to tell him anyway Al, why do you want to be part of the system baby? you're an outcast! cooool!

nice to get back from the boring old estate agents and read this, its really cheered me up. school run now

will reply to emails tonite boys
 Jacob Ram 29 Jun 2001
In reply to Graham:
I had the same problem thinking I was on Curved Ridge,when I was in fact on D Gully Buttress.It was only after I went back later to do it again I reasised my mistake.Hells Wall, and the odd couple of route finding problems had me seriously puzzeled by the grade 2 scramble tag.I thought perhaps it was because I was by myself,and relitavly inexperienced at the time it seemed so hard.
The second time,when I was actualy on C.R.with much better visibility this time,I chatted to a couple of locals who overtook me,and they said it was a very common mitake to make.
 Vdiff Dave 29 Jun 2001
In reply to David Best:

I went up D Gully Butress once by mistake too, it's easy in the mist. Ended up using shoelaces and camera strap to haul girlfriends rucksack up the hard bit. I quite enjoyed it but she was in scream mode.
Ben T 02 Jul 2001
IGNORE - Post for registration purposes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...