UKC

West View climbing wall, Preston

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Chris Tan Ver. L - Lost in Space 06 Dec 2007
Well impressed!

The wall is in a large sports hall run by Preston Leisure Services, clean and spacious, with a chill out area for Mums and Dads. No Muzak!

1. The steep big wall is about 30-35 feet with the usual insitu clips, lightly featured.

2. The featured wall ( 20-25 feet) has hangers so you will need your own clips. There are flakes, pockets, small and wider cracks that take gear.

3. The new wall is a wood + plastic holds affair ( about 20 feet), again equipped with hangers.

2 & 3 have ropes in place too.

They are 2 bouldering areas and a tiny-tots sector.

The grade spread range from 3 to 7 with most of the routes between 3 - 5, which makes it ideal for a beginning leader.

Costs: £1.90 for a first time registration fee, after that it's £3.85. There is a concessionary discount.

cathsullivan 06 Dec 2007
In reply to Chris Tan Ver. L - Lost in Space:

I like the new improved Preston Wall too. Much better than it was. I'm totally baffled by the grades though. They seem to be using a mixture of British technical grades and French grades and I can't figure out any logic to it. The grades on the new bits seem rather all over the place too.

They do still have some sections where you need quickdraws as well I think.

They have definitely made it better with those new routes though.
 grumsta 06 Dec 2007

Thanks for the info - I live in Lancaster and I'm at uni in Preston so was thinking of checking it out sometime. I dont yet have a rope or any quickdraws (though I intend to get some for xmas) - is it still worth going at the mo?
 cathsullivan 06 Dec 2007
In reply to grumsta:
> (In reply to Chris Tan Ver. L - Lost in Space)
>
> ... I dont yet have a rope or any quickdraws (though I intend to get some for xmas) - is it still worth going at the mo?

Yes, there's enough lines with in situ ropes to keep you happy for a couple of hours (well, if you're happy to climb a range of grades, I suppose).
rginns 06 Dec 2007

Chris, no! please ! no!! Preston gets busy already! do you think this post will stop you having to swim through huge crowds to get to the solitary vacant top rope?!?!?

Why don't you bang on about Awesome walls, send them over to the 'pool??!

There again, you are right, the facilities are excellent for the price...
Chris Tan Ver. L - Lost in Space 07 Dec 2007
In reply to rginns:

Pah! You have seen through my cunning ploy to keep people away from the damp green quarries!

ps To all - Please complain about the lighting! They may get round to changing the bulbs < Very Large Crossed Fingers>

pps The ceiling fixtures at the top of the routes are not sound! Do not grab! < Voice of experience!>
 Ann S 07 Dec 2007

And for those who say they can't hand jam there are plenty of cracklines to go at...what you waiting for? But like Chris said, the lighting is poor so take your own carbide lamp.
 hutchm 07 Dec 2007

I was considering taking my lad there for a bit of heavily supervised climbing on the bouldering wall. He's five. Are there any little slabs or areas with big holds that he can play on?
In reply to hutchm:

Yes and the landing is well padded.
 Undertow 07 Dec 2007
In reply to grumsta:
> (In reply to Chris Tan Ver. L - Lost in Space)
>
> Thanks for the info - I live in Lancaster and I'm at uni in Preston so was thinking of checking it out sometime. I dont yet have a rope or any quickdraws (though I intend to get some for xmas) - is it still worth going at the mo?

ooh me too, dont know how to get there by bus do you?
 hutchm 07 Dec 2007

Cheers.
mark 7 07 Dec 2007

shame there's no pictures on the database
http://www.ukclimbing.com/databases/walls/wallinfo.html?id=213
aw and thier site's down too
rginns 07 Dec 2007
In reply to Chris Tan Ver. L - Lost in Space: ah so the large scratches at the top of the overhang are you then!! I see...

Valiant attempt to keep people away from the quarries, but alas I fear they may be heaving again this weekend **caugh..sideways look**

ps I was there last night and didn't really notice the lights being particularly bad??
gnarlycharles 07 Dec 2007
have the bouldering problems changed in the last month do you know?
In reply to gnarlycharles:

Does the Pope boulder! Of course they have been changed! In fact, Dave McLeod, Tim Emmmert, Gaz Parry and Ian Vickers have spent hours setting up new problems that no one can do

The Lemming 07 Dec 2007

I have been going there every wednesday evening during the winter for the last 14 years and have watched the room grow and grow.

Sadly Wednesday evenings are exceptionally busy.

The last month or so I have counted well over 100 climbers which is quite a lot for the amount of routes available.

In reply to The Lemming:

You mean "over 100" top ropers!

< Ducks>
 The Lemming 07 Dec 2007
> (In reply to The Lemming)
>
> You mean "over 100" top ropers!
>
> < Ducks>

The good thing about the room is that nobody cares.

However I do get pissed off by the boulderers who think that they have a god given right to make it to the top of the 5m wall and just then jump off in a heap at the bottem of the route.

I find that sort of antic as intimidating in a sort of I own this space and if you go below me I will land on you way. Don't these little darlings realise that to down climb a boulder problem strengthens their antagonistic muscles and make them better boulderers?

Gits
In reply to The Lemming:

They don't do it to me as I tend to leave my winter sharps at the bottom of the problems.
 Jamie B 07 Dec 2007
In reply to The Lemming:
> I do get pissed off by the boulderers who think that they have a god given right to make it to the top of the 5m wall and just then jump off in a heap at the bottem of the route. I find that sort of antic as intimidating in a sort of I own this space and if you go below me I will land on you way. Don't these little darlings realise that to down climb a boulder problem strengthens their antagonistic muscles and make them better boulderers?

Do they also not realise that doing regular 5m drops is playing with fire? Plenty of bad accidents have been caused by bad landings from a lot lower...

The Lemming 07 Dec 2007
In reply to Jamie B.:
> [...]
>
> Do they also not realise that doing regular 5m drops is playing with fire? Plenty of bad accidents have been caused by bad landings from a lot lower...

One did sprain his ankle.

With a bit of luck enough of them will break stuff and I can climb in peace.
Serpico 07 Dec 2007
In reply to The Lemming:
Don't these little darlings realise that to down climb a boulder problem strengthens their antagonistic muscles and make them better boulderers?
>
Possibly a pedantic point, but it doesn't - you use exactly the same muscles reversing a move as you do going up.

kevin stephens 08 Dec 2007
In reply to Jamie B.:
> [...]
>
> Do they also not realise that doing regular 5m drops is playing with fire? Plenty of bad accidents have been caused by bad landings from a lot lower...

Indeed, there are still bits of my tibia and fibula lodged in the crevices of the bendcrete section at West View

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...