UKC

Of interest in Hope, Derbyshire?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flicka@work 28 Dec 2007
Heading to Hope with my bike tomorrow, doing a circular route starting and ending there. Was just wondering if there was anything of interest in Hope (such as a particularly good cafe ) that I could/should incorporate in to my day out??
 TN 28 Dec 2007
In reply to Flicka@work:

The Woodbine cafe is supposed to be good.
 Chris Harris 28 Dec 2007
In reply to Flicka@work: Cement works?
rich 28 Dec 2007
In reply to Flicka@work: have you been to castleton? it's actually quite pretty and the little stream that runs through the place has ducks in it

there's a ruined castle too although i have no idea if you can vist it
 Chris the Tall 28 Dec 2007
In reply to Flicka@work:
Woodbine cafe is indeed very good, but don't go any further, cos once you're past there, you're beyond hope.......
KevinD 28 Dec 2007
In reply to rich:

> there's a ruined castle too although i have no idea if you can vist it

perveril castle and yup it is open

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/server/show/nav.11598

mam tor is nicer though
 TN 28 Dec 2007
In reply to Chris the Tall:
> don't go any further, cos once you're past there, you're beyond hope.......

Huh huh huh...

Simon 28 Dec 2007
In reply to TN:
> (In reply to Chris the Tall)
> [...]
>
> Huh huh huh...

Crikey he's bad isn't he..?

The other good thing about hope is Ye Old Cheshire Cheese just on Eadle Road - a fine old country pub with nice fires etc...

Si
 Hairy Pete 28 Dec 2007
In reply to Simon:
I'll second that...

> Ye Old Cheshire Cheese just on Eadle Road - a fine old country pub with nice fires etc...

and food.

Other than that there's not much else in hope. There's more in Castleton, including tourists!

HP
 sutty 28 Dec 2007
In reply to Hairy Pete:

Yes, flicka needs to see the 'arse of the peak' cave while there if she has not seen it.
 winhill 28 Dec 2007
In reply to Flicka@work:

Visit hitchnhike on the way thru or maybe the remains at Navio, and see if you can work out how to get from there to the long causeway at Stanage.
 Simon 28 Dec 2007
In reply to winhill:
> (In reply to Flicka@work)
>
> Visit hitchnhike on the way thru or maybe the remains at Navio, and see if you can work out how to get from there to the long causeway at Stanage.

Good one - Grimer and myself were on with this one - The Roaman Fort Navio to Stanage -

... after a while we gave up trying - safe to say - it must have been up over the loose hill towards Bamford edge and then up this hill towards the causeway...?!

cheers

Si
In reply to Simon:

From the Causeway it probably went via Buckstone, Dennis Knoll and Gatehouse, and crossed the river somewhere near the present Bamford station.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...