UKC

Performance anxiety

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hjonesy 07 Jan 2008

I'm in a new job and as a result of being praised on having so easily become 'one of the team' at work recently, I have been asked to do a slot in our weekly social meeting which needs to be entertaining. *gulp*

Previous slots have included CD of the week, what to do that weekend etc etc. It's last thing on a Friday and everyone is chugging back beers at the time.

Kinda stuck on what to do......

Thought about perhaps doing Joke Of The Week where each week I pick on someone to tell their favourite joke OR read an entry each week from Michael Norton's '365 Way To Change The World' - but just don't want to appear to be too much of a sanctimonious geek.

Any suggestions? They're quite a fun bunch although I would steer clear of suggestions including full frontal nudity or animals! Oh, and it has to be free or almost free as I have to fund any props myself.
JackKeen 07 Jan 2008
In reply to Hjonesy:

whats the line of work
 Ridge 07 Jan 2008
In reply to Hjonesy:
>
> I have been asked to do a slot in our weekly social meeting which needs to be entertaining.

<shudder>

> It's last thing on a Friday and everyone is chugging back beers at the time.

Then again, could be worse.

> Kinda stuck on what to do......

Naked, oiled Twister?
Hjonesy 07 Jan 2008
In reply to JackKeen:

Design bods.

It's supposed to be a 'fun thing' non work related.

Thought about gallery exhibitions etc but they'll all know about them already. They're a very 'cool' bunch
Hjonesy 07 Jan 2008
In reply to Ridge:
> (In reply to Hjonesy)
>
>
> Naked, oiled Twister?

Solo effort?!
Clauso 07 Jan 2008
In reply to Hjonesy:

Make a nice cake or shear a sheep... You might also consider carving turnips into amusing shapes set to suitable music?
 Ridge 07 Jan 2008
In reply to Hjonesy:
> (In reply to Ridge)
> [...]
>
> Solo effort?!

It'd work for me
JackKeen 07 Jan 2008
In reply to Hjonesy:

well un "cool" em.

i hate cool f*ckers,

why not regail em wit hthe design history of climbing helmets but with a monthy python spike milligan twist
 John Wood 07 Jan 2008
In reply to Hjonesy:

get a copy of viz's profanasaurus and then pick a victim to read out a random definition
 CJD 07 Jan 2008
In reply to Hjonesy:
> (In reply to JackKeen)
>
>
> Design bods.
>
> It's supposed to be a 'fun thing' non work related.
>
> Thought about gallery exhibitions etc but they'll all know about them already. They're a very 'cool' bunch

I've got just the answer then.

balloon animals!

CJD 07 Jan 2008
In reply to John Wood:

a splendid idea, young man.

Hjonesy 07 Jan 2008
In reply to Clauso:
> (In reply to Hjonesy)
>
> Make a nice cake or shear a sheep... You might also consider carving turnips into amusing shapes set to suitable music?

Lol, what music would you 'whittle turnips' to?
Hjonesy 07 Jan 2008
In reply to JackKeen:
> (In reply to Hjonesy)
>
> well un "cool" em.
>
> i hate cool f*ckers,
>
> why not regail em wit hthe design history of climbing helmets but with a monthy python spike milligan twist

Lol, oh don't! I actually thought about doing 'outdoor activity of the week' or 'survival tip' of the week or something until I remember all the boys wear skinny jeans and plimsoles and they'd probably beat me with Muji folders!
 CJD 07 Jan 2008
In reply to Hjonesy:

bring in a pot of witchety grubs and make them Mearsificate!
Clauso 07 Jan 2008
In reply to Hjonesy:
>
> Lol, what music would you 'whittle turnips' to?

A re-worked version of Tiptoe Through the Tulips i.e. Whittle Through the Turnips... Obviously.
Hjonesy 07 Jan 2008
In reply to CJD:
> (In reply to Hjonesy)
> [...]
>
> I've got just the answer then.
>
> balloon animals!
>
>

Perfect! ha ha. That could be quite amusing, especially as I have a pathetic dislike of balloons (that they'll burst in my face) so I'd look a right eejit doing that!
Hjonesy 07 Jan 2008
In reply to CJD:
> (In reply to Hjonesy)
>
> bring in a pot of witchety grubs and make them Mearsificate!

Washed down with a nice tall skinny macchiato no doubt!
JackKeen 07 Jan 2008
In reply to Hjonesy:

rude limerics

there was a young lady called Marse

who'd a hairy large mole on her arse

some boyfriends flicked it

the others just licked it

which she thought was totaly crass
Hjonesy 07 Jan 2008
In reply to Clauso:
> (In reply to Hjonesy)
> [...]
>
> A re-worked version of Tiptoe Through the Tulips i.e. Whittle Through the Turnips... Obviously.

Aha! *enlightment falls upon Hjonesy*

Of course. How could I not have known that?!
Hjonesy 07 Jan 2008
In reply to CJD:
> (In reply to Hjonesy)
>
> http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Balloon-Animals
>
>

I see trouble ahead............
 Ridge 07 Jan 2008
In reply to JackKeen:

Class doesn't rhyme with arse.
Hjonesy 07 Jan 2008
In reply to JackKeen:
> (In reply to Hjonesy)
>
> rude limerics
>
> there was a young lady called Marse
>
> who'd a hairy large mole on her arse
>
> some boyfriends flicked it
>
> the others just licked it
>
> which she thought was totaly crass

That would be fun up until I ran out of peers and did ones about the directors then I think my NEXT appraisal might go a little differently to this one!

CJD 07 Jan 2008
In reply to Hjonesy:

how cooooool is that site!

I don't think it's just going to be you making balloon animals

<searches for stockists>
 sutty 07 Jan 2008
In reply to Hjonesy:

If they are drinking beers have a tasting session, cheeses one week butter and marge on sticks another to find out the best. You can do something different every week, the Marmite versus Vegemite will be interesting.
JackKeen 07 Jan 2008
In reply to Ridge:
> (In reply to JackKeen)
>
> Class doesn't rhyme with arse.

crass rhymes with arse

and

poo rhymes with you ,

Hjonesy 07 Jan 2008
In reply to sutty:

Yeah, I love that idea (mainly because I love cheese!) and was thinking about a wine/beer of the week as well. The only problem is....I don't have a budget for this so it would end up costing me a fortune each week to do.
JackKeen 07 Jan 2008
In reply to rigge.

lol gotcha!!

no backtracking!!

CJD 07 Jan 2008
In reply to Hjonesy:

please do balloons.

please.

Hjonesy 07 Jan 2008
In reply to CJD:

Do you fancy a trip down to London each Friday to make balloon animals for my company?!
 Ridge 07 Jan 2008
In reply to JackKeen:
> (In reply to Ridge)
> [...]
>
> crass rhymes with arse

Only if you're a southern shandy drinker.
Hjonesy 07 Jan 2008
In reply to JackKeen:

Class kinda rhymes with arse if you're a 'Saaaa-vener'
 Ridge 07 Jan 2008
In reply to JackKeen:
> In reply to rigge.
>
> lol gotcha!!

Rigge?

Gotcha right back..
 CJD 07 Jan 2008
In reply to Hjonesy:

um...

<weighs up excitement of balloon animals vs scariness of London>

no.

thank you anyway.

I'm still going to get some balloons.

I'm gonna git me a whole zoo of balloons.
 galpinos 07 Jan 2008
In reply to Ridge:

Crass never rhymes with arse regardsless of the speakers origin. Class however, does.
 hutchm 07 Jan 2008
In reply to Hjonesy:

This sounds like my idea of a living hell. What the hell is wrong with simply going down the pub and getting pissed? This is the worst kind of institutionised "teambuilding" bollocks. I suggest you resign immediately.

Alternatively, try hand shadow puppets using the OHP - they can be fun.
In reply to Hjonesy: Last year. my other half spurned all my encouragements when she had to go to a works team-building do. Instead, she decided to pick a small number of her colleagues to join in with one of her party tricks.

No, it's not what you're thinking at the back. It might be worse.

Take a twiglet. Put one end in your mouth. Now, without using your hands, stick it up your nose. Done it? Good. Now do the other nostril too. Practice, then pick a victim; a new one each week. After a period of weeks you'll all have a new dexterity with food stuffs that you didn't previously know you needed.

T.
Hjonesy 07 Jan 2008
In reply to hutchm:

Ahhhhh bless you! ha ha ha
Hjonesy 07 Jan 2008
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

Yeah, that sort of thing would be great but it's coming up with a new one each week that'll stump me!

Definitely along the right lines though...I'm happy to humiliate myself but I'm going to drag as many down with me as possible!
In reply to Hjonesy: Some other ideas...

Have a game of consequences, the kid's game on bits of paper that you have to roll up as you go along and then all read out at the end. Alter the storyline to include people, projects and things from the company.

Get a pea shooter. First to get a pea into cup placed at a strategic distance away wins a prize; a tin of marrowfat peas.

Get a box of matches and some cards and have a game of Irish Brag. Give everyone an equal number of matches for betting, then deal everyone a card face down. You all have to take the card and hold it to your forehead, so you can see everyone else's card but not your own. You then have to bet matches on your card (sounds complicated, but can be a hoot).

T.
Hjonesy 07 Jan 2008
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

You are SO coming to my next party!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...