UKC

Ratho - is it worth the trip?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lancs Lad 07 Jan 2008
a few of us are thinking of a trip south to Ratho on one of the forthcoming wet weekends, wondering what the new developments are like and if its worth it for a day trip

Thanks
Removed User 07 Jan 2008
In reply to Lancs Lad:

Go to the Cairngorms instead. They are nearer, cheaper and have much better facilites.
In reply to Lancs Lad:

yes, its brilliant.

nuf said.
OP Lancs Lad 07 Jan 2008
In reply to Removed User:

indeed, but lack the roof required when is p***ing down
 Simonj 07 Jan 2008
In reply to Lancs Lad:

Its ace! definitely worth a trip! take a jumper tho its freezin!

Si
 fimm 07 Jan 2008
In reply to Lancs Lad:

Have you been before?

If you have, the main thing you'll notice is that the car park is finished. Inside, it is pretty much as it was before (though having said that there were some little towers with autobelays on when we were there over Christmas). Oh, and there's a bouldering room which might be warmer than the main arena.
OP Lancs Lad 08 Jan 2008
In reply to fimm:

was there over 2 years ago, the bouldering was a few towers in middle of main hall and some over hang to one side. Was cold but we had a good time

how do the routes fair? well set? graded fairly?
 fimm 08 Jan 2008
In reply to Lancs Lad:

> was there over 2 years ago, the bouldering was a few towers in middle of main hall and some over hang to one side. Was cold but we had a good time

Those towers are still there, but there's a new space separate from the hall too. Can't comment on it as bouldering isn't really my thing.

> how do the routes fair? well set? graded fairly?

I find the grades tougher than at Alien Rock (my usual wall). A friend and I were talking about this last night and she reckons the Ratho routes are more awkward than the Alien ones. But we're just punters. There was a thread about Alien vs Ratho recently which it might be worth your while finding.
Iain Forrest 08 Jan 2008
In reply to Lancs Lad:
It's a very good wall, but it's just a wall. Going there specially from Aberdeen seems a bit odd, unless there's something else you really want to do that you can combine the visit with.
OP Lancs Lad 08 Jan 2008
In reply to Iain Forrest:

just fancy a change when the weekend is washed out etc, also climbing partners brother lives there so would catch up whim probably etc
Iain Forrest 08 Jan 2008
In reply to Lancs Lad:
> also climbing partners brother lives there so would catch up whim probably etc
Then yes, it is worth the trip. Wear your wooly undies, though
 Ian Jones 08 Jan 2008
In reply to Lancs Lad:
Great facility; unusually clean for a British climbing wall. Great bogs, hand dryers, lockers, posh cafe (predictably over priced), totty and stupid grades. Long routes are overgraded, 6b is often 6a, and short routes under graded. 6c+ can be 7b. Quite cold in winter. Easy parking. 2 bouldering areas.
Alien is w*ank.
 niggle 08 Jan 2008
In reply to Lancs Lad:

> how do the routes fair? well set? graded fairly?

They're generally pretty fairly graded, but it's worth remembering that compared to most, they can be very long and pretty steep (especially the lead routes) which can make them feel surprisingly tiring. There are only a couple of real howlers grade-wise but you can ask any of the regulars about them!
gaffer 08 Jan 2008
In reply to niggle: Need 60 metre rope if you want to lead.
Removed User 08 Jan 2008
In reply to gaffer:
> (In reply to niggle) Need 60 metre rope if you want to lead.

Only for a couple of the lines and even then, you will just get by with a 50.

Bear in mind that the arena has a fabric roof so it does get cold in the winter. If it's Baltic outside it will be Baltic inside also so I'd pick a warm wet weekend for the trip.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...