UKC

The Soloing Net

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I was thinking of ways to solo things, that a fall was likely on and would result in bad injury, but without using shunts and therefor esentially 'top roping' it. What I had in mind was a net that was attached to the top and bottom of the rock with gear and you climbed between the net and the rock. then if you feel you could easily grab the net. Has anyone tried this?

This isn't a troll, but a serious idea.
As the mods have told me not to recomend what could be seen as dangerous techniques:

DO NOT TRY THIS. IT IS DANGEROUS.

cheers,

Franco
In reply to Franco Cookson: also. If anyone's got some strong netting they wish to sell........
 Mike Peacock 20 Jan 2008
In reply to Franco Cookson:
> . Has anyone tried this?
>
>

I suspect not...
 VisionSet 20 Jan 2008

> I'm not such a tool as I sometimes appear On UKC

Glad to hear it!
In reply to VisionSet: I don't think this is a toolish Idea. Isn't this the answer to how to onsight solo hard things?
 DaveWarb 20 Jan 2008
In reply to Franco Cookson: What a great idea . . . . . . . .
 VisionSet 20 Jan 2008

No because you aren't soloing it in the proper sense of the word.
In reply to VisionSet: I supose. But people often hang a rope down a route when they're soloing, in the vain hope that if they fall tey can grab it and it's only a variation on that.
In reply to DaveWarb: just wait dooge- u'll be asking to borrow my net.
 VisionSet 20 Jan 2008

You can do what you like - just don't delude yourself. Personally I rock up and climb the thing, faff detracts.
In reply to VisionSet: mmmmmm, fair point. even if you were soloing a 15metre E2?
 Martin Rogers 20 Jan 2008

perhaps you could develop a similar kind of boot to the hover boots that spock uses in yosemite in the star trek movie, just a few mods to make sure the anti grav activates when you fall?

just a thought.......
Hotbad Peteel 20 Jan 2008

tbh, and no offence intended it sounds like a really shit idea. Its the same as using a hanging rope for soloing which is just a particularly bad alternative to a top rope. If you set up something like this you'd be treated as a top roper in denial which i think is a far worse insult than top roper and thats pretty damn low!
p
In reply to Hotbad Peteel: oright. fair enough. might be fun though.
 mr_sceptical 20 Jan 2008
In reply to Franco Cookson: Why don't you just climb up the net? This way you are far less likely to fall, and can still claim the onsight. Just get your mate to take pictures and then Photoshop out the net.
In reply to Martin Rogers:
> (In reply to Franco Cookson)
>
> perhaps you could develop a similar kind of boot to the hover boots that spock uses in yosemite in the star trek movie, just a few mods to make sure the anti grav activates when you fall?
>
good idea, fall off and you're left hanging upside down by your feet til the battery runs out and you plummet head first into the rocks
p
 VisionSet 20 Jan 2008
In reply to Franco Cookson: yes on that occasion
In reply to mr_sceptical: good idea.- just have an odd net texture on the rock.
In reply to Franco Cookson: no one tried it then?

i doubt it. have a look at the weight per square metre of cargo netting and times it by say 2m wide times the height of an average hard route at burbage (i'd guess 15m) then add in a couple of scaffold poles to keep it away from the top and some way to weight it down at the bottom (i guess you wouldnt consider small boulders if you're looking at how much you'd need to carry in). I think a top rope is a damn site more convenient.
p
In reply to Hotbad Peteel: I was thinking like loads of little doyly things sewn together. Cause for some reason I've come by boxes of em.
Mini 20 Jan 2008
In reply to Franco Cookson: Can anyone please banish Franco from UKC please?
In reply to Mini: you won't be calling it when you buy yours from Needle Sports in a few years.
In reply to Hotbad Peteel:

Come on Hotbad, thought you'd realise that they'd be so technologically advanced that they'd have solar power and a remote link to the neural pathway, think it and it will happen, ie. righting yourself
In reply to all: fine then. I was only asking 10,000 for 20% of 'SoloNets UK', but I guess I'll have to go elsewhere.
> (In reply to Mini) you won't be calling it when you buy yours from Needle Sports in a few years.

i quite fancy soloing the nose on El Cap, you think they'll have one in needlesports that will be suitable?
In reply to Martin Rogers: well the 'solonet5000' ranges a mile long. will that cover it? comes with a free 'biner
In reply to Martin Rogers:

1. climber climbs
2. climber falls off
3. anti grav boots do their thing
4. climber thinks oh shit i've fallen off i'm going to hit the ground
5. anti grav boots do their thing
6. few climbers nearby develop psychological problems relating to a belief they're in a roadrunner cartoon
p
In reply to Hotbad Peteel: do these boots have an agressive toe?

so lets get this straight
1. you want 10K from the dragons den people
2. you want to make a large net that you can jump onto out of sewn together doilies, i hope you mean the lace ones and not the paper ones
3. you think it would be fine to claim an onsight, but surely the doilies would obscure the view so nobody would believe you anyway
p

p.s. i'm well aware you're trolling but i'm bored and this is funny
In reply to Hotbad Peteel:

PMSL very good!!
 Michael Ryan 20 Jan 2008

The soloing net?

It's called your head.

Watch this.

http://video.nbcsports.com/player/?id=142296
 Skyfall 20 Jan 2008
can i just say "jeez!"

then sit back and consider whether I am a dinosaur...
In reply to Mick Ryan - Editor - UKC: I know hat soloing is. good vid though.
 Chris F 21 Jan 2008
What's that saying about arguing with idiots?
In reply to Chris F: who are you replying to and what does that mean?
 grumsta 21 Jan 2008

I assumed you meant a net like one of those huge circus style nets to catch high rope performers or whatever at the bottom. Your idea sounds pretty crazy to me.
In reply to grumsta: I was thinking that for climbing in gorges, but on normal outcrops I meant just a tight net from the top to the bottom attached with gear so it touches the rock all the way down and then ou can just grab it.

IF ANYONE WANTS TO PRE-ORDER ONE JUST SEND ME A MAIL. £20. (FREE 'BINER)
In reply to Franco Cookson: Hand made in yaksore.
 Will Hunt 21 Jan 2008
Sadly the idea goes against the ground up ethic of trad climbing/soloing. You would need to get to the top of the crag to rig the thing.
In reply to Will Hunt: no, my friend. the solo net comes with a hangy grappling hook.
 Jon_Warner 21 Jan 2008
In reply to Franco Cookson: People have been doing this type of thing for ages but no need for a net rope is fine, i've done it once or twice, & look in the Froggart guide for instance.. "F/A Gary Gibson Solo O/S with hanging rope" is an entry that appears much more than once. (whether it should really be counted as F/A is a different topic all together!!)
 Green Porridge 21 Jan 2008

What about something concave and overhanging?
In reply to John_Warner: should it be counted as an onsight?
 smithy 21 Jan 2008
> (In reply to Will Hunt) no, my friend. the solo net comes with a hangy grappling hook.

That makes it worse! How bloody hard is it gonna be to put up if you've got to hook when you're at the bottom?!?! A bouncy castle would make much more sense and be a lot more fun!

In reply to Green Porridge: the gear at the bottom tensions it so itwill be tight against the rock. Fancy one?
In reply to smithy: Iy, the solo castle can be purchased from all good booksshops.
 Jon_Warner 21 Jan 2008
In reply to Franco Cookson: well one can easily argue that it shouldn't be an ascent at all.. but as with all these things its what counts personally
In reply to John_Warner: iy. maybe a new forum is needed.- solo netting- is it onsighting? lol
 Chris F 22 Jan 2008
> (In reply to Chris F) who are you replying to and what does that mean?

Not repling to anyone in particular. The full saying is

"Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"

Read into it what you will.

In reply to Chris F: you won't be saying that when the first E12 is climbed with a solonet!
 Chris F 22 Jan 2008
In reply to Franco Cookson: I, for one, won't be holding my breath waiting for it to happen.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...