UKC

NEWS: 48 year old Maurizio "Manolo" Zanolla climbs 9a/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 22 Jan 2008
Think you are to old to perform at the highest rock climbing levels, think again?

The Italian alpine guide, 48 year old Maurizio "Manolo" Zanolla, who has already climbed several 9a's including, Only For Old Warriors (7c, 7b+, 8b, 8c/9a) at Vette Feltrine (Italy) and Bain de Sang 9a at Saint Loup (Switzerland), has climbed another.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
 Marc C 22 Jan 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - Editor - UKC: Hats off, Manolo!

From a fellow 48 year-old whose name begins with 'M', and who also climbs at an... um...'respectable' level
In reply to Marc C: I won't be 48 for another 7 months so maybe if I train a bit harder?.......nah!
 GrahamD 22 Jan 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - Editor - UKC:

Sad thing is, here is someone older than me climbing pretty well at the cutting edge and I hadn't even heard of the guy up until now !
 Null 22 Jan 2008
In reply to GrahamD:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - Editor - UKC)
>
> Sad thing is, here is someone older than me climbing pretty well at the cutting edge and I hadn't even heard of the guy up until now !

The Italian Ron Fawcett
 Tyler 22 Jan 2008
In reply to GrahamD:

> Sad thing is, here is someone older than me climbing pretty well at the cutting edge and I hadn't even heard of the guy up until now !

Its a sad reflection on British mags, he's been at the cutting edge for years and has vied for the title of the 'best in the world' for years, yet I've barely seen mention of him, there was a liitle article on him in a recent Vertical and an article in an old Mountain mag. He put up one of the contenders for first 8c etc

Keith Sharples 22 Jan 2008

Flippin' good effort from Manolo - respect!
Derbyshire Ben 22 Jan 2008

Awesome - very inspiring.

TobyA 22 Jan 2008
In reply to Tyler: I seem to remember he was the poster boy for some make of watches even in the mainstream press back in maybe the late 80s or early 90s. I remember the pictures of straining back muscles and no ropes as he "free soloed" his way to commercial and time-keeping glory.

I think he has been a little controversial, bunging in bolts all over the place, even on mountain routes where they traditionally had been avoided?
 last ascent 22 Jan 2008
Mick Ryan: Only For Old Warriors (7c, 7b+, 8b, 8c/9a)

huh? what kind of grade is that?
Ian 22 Jan 2008
In reply to last ascent:
> Mick Ryan: Only For Old Warriors (7c, 7b+, 8b, 8c/9a)
>
> huh? what kind of grade is that?

in a word: hard
OP Michael Ryan 22 Jan 2008
In reply to last ascent:
> Mick Ryan: Only For Old Warriors (7c, 7b+, 8b, 8c/9a)

Sport climbing grades.

It's four pitch bolt protected route in the Dolomites, bolted from the ground up I believe.

Ian 22 Jan 2008
 last ascent 22 Jan 2008
In reply to Ian:

yeah i'm not going to go try it or anything, but if it was graded at 7b+ and then ended up being 9a it sounds like a story i want to hear...
 last ascent 22 Jan 2008
multi pitch... okay, thanks
 galpinos 22 Jan 2008

All I can say is, wow!

He's been at the cutting edge for such a long time!
broughton power 22 Jan 2008
In reply to galpinos: awesome
 earlsdonwhu 22 Jan 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - Editor - UKC: Oh shit! I suppose that means that even at my age I should be doing 7c!
 Morgan Woods 23 Jan 2008

and he's leading on double ropes!
 Peter Herold 24 Jan 2008
Not just British mags: there are few "European" mags. Vertical is one, another one (and I really like it) is UP, a beautiful yearbook which comes out in March each year. It is available in good, well-translated English and has a run-down of events in the categories sport/crags, longer Alpine routes, ice climbing, bouldering etc. If you read this you find out who's doing the leading-edge things across Europe. See http://www.up-climbing.com/ The 2008 (covering 2007) contents list is already up on the site. You can buy it in the UK from Cordee. I can't wait to get my hands on it! Peter
 Mick Ward 24 Jan 2008
In reply to TobyA:

> I think he has been a little controversial, bunging in bolts all over the place, even on mountain routes where they traditionally had been avoided?

I gather some of his routes have some pretty intense run-outs...

Mick

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...