UKC

Who knows about famous climbers?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Supreme_being 28 Jan 2008
Right was wondering if anyone could tell me..i'm trying to find out the name of a femal rock climber, i remember seeing a video on the tv years ago and she was doing a free climb round a giant cave, and at one point when she was on the horizontal at the top she stopped and turned up side down for a rest, does this ring any bells for anyone? i remember that it was hot country possibly somewhere like africa but thats all i can remember, if anyone can point me in the right direction then it would be appreciated cos i really want to watch this video again.

Thanks for looking,
Steven
In reply to Supreme_being:

Catherine Desteville (Phwoooaaaarrrr!) soloing a route in Mali, IIRC
 craig h 28 Jan 2008

Think you'll find it's this lady - http://www.destivelle.com/en/profile.aspx
Wow thats amazing guys thanks for the replies i only posted that about 5 minutes ago lol i'm going to check it out and see if i can find that video
Cheers =)
 Michael Ryan 28 Jan 2008

Not what you are after specifically but....the cave is there

youtube.com/watch?v=VIRcNiUMRRw&
Very much appreciated i've tried to find this video for so long but with no name it was impossible, just been watching that vid of her soloing up the klettern crack and my palms are sweating so much lol it must take some ammount of nerve, composition and passion to be able to climb like that!
thanks again
 Fidget 28 Jan 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - Editor - UKC:

Good clip. Now I feel I know a bit more about 'that french woman that free climbs hard stuff' that everyone always asks me about!

I saw this really amazing video once on the web of this American bloke speed soloing up a cliff. I can't seem to find it again, though. Anyone know his name?

jcm
 Michael Hood 28 Jan 2008
In reply to johncoxmysteriously: Dan Osman - now dead I believe

youtube.com/watch?v=Fpm0m6bVfrM&
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 28 Jan 2008
In reply to Michael Hood:

Ever been had?

Chris

TMM 28 Jan 2008
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

Bear Grylls? Official sponsored climber of forum favourite Krok (have you seen those Ukranian Cams?) Climbing gear.
In reply to Lord of Starkness:
> (In reply to Supreme_being)
>
> Catherine Desteville (Phwoooaaaarrrr!) soloing a route in Mali, IIRC

You would say Phwoooaaaarrrr! X 10 if you had met 'Katarine' ...

Michael Hood 28 Jan 2008
In reply to Chris Craggs: Shows how with it I'm not - thought it was a bit unlikely for jcm to not know or know how to find out - but still didn't think to not bite
 Dave Garnett 28 Jan 2008
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

I once had breakfast with her.

Unfortunately, Chris Bonington was there too.

The film of the ascent in Mali is called "Seo"

Solo climbing in Mali (Africa). Climbing is part of theeveryday life of the Dogons of Sanga. Tracks of the ancient times remain in the crags above the village. Catherine is fascinated by these people, and they admire her daring solo climbs.

Director : Pierre Antoine HIROZ
Production : Canal +
Duration : 26'
Format : filmed in 16mm, available in 16mm and video (Umatic, Beta, VHS)
French version

" The film “Seo” of her soloing on a sandstone cliff in the Mali desert is one that has been seen worldwide and the one clear image that has stuck in the minds of the general public in Britain " (High magazine)
 earlsdonwhu 28 Jan 2008
In reply to Gordon Stainforth: I was more of an Isabelle Patissier fan myself!
 Jenn 28 Jan 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - Editor - UKC:

Wow, what an interesting person to hear about - thanks for the link!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...