UKC

Ben Fogle - why is he "extreme"?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bobbsy 11 Feb 2008
Watching extreme dreams at the moment, Papua New Guinea... don't know much about the presenter, why he so extreme ? whats he done ?
 jj-1992 11 Feb 2008
In reply to Bobbsy: Animal Park on BBC
OP Bobbsy 11 Feb 2008
In reply to johnsonater3:

hmmn, hes walking through the jungle with a guide and a paramedic... am i missing something ? doesnt seem special at all...
 vicentvega 11 Feb 2008
In reply to Bobbsy: hes as extreme as my nan in her mobility scooter which has a flat battery!
JackKeen 11 Feb 2008
In reply to Bobbsy:

enduring his patronising tone is extreme
 obi-wan nick b 11 Feb 2008
In reply to Bobbsy:I think it's just a case of extreme exaggeration
OP Bobbsy 11 Feb 2008
In reply to all:

agreed... if he can get a budget to do this programme... the mid boggles...

OP Bobbsy 11 Feb 2008
In reply to Bobbsy:
*mind*
almost sane 11 Feb 2008
In reply to Bobbsy:

He has been on telly an extreme amount, he gets extremely excited, he exaggerates things to the extreme...
cp 11 Feb 2008
 LewisDale 11 Feb 2008
In reply to Bobbsy: old fogles getting some stick from this site! how many threads?

lol but i agree it is a bit stupid
OP Bobbsy 11 Feb 2008
In reply to cp:

cool, was just wondering... hadn't really heard of him before, and the start of the show was like "i've endured the harshest climates there are, crossed hazardoous terrain" or something like that.
 kk43 11 Feb 2008
In reply to Bobbsy: he won castaway few years ago thats it pretty much!!!
 Dominion 11 Feb 2008
In reply to Bobbsy:

Maybe it's the dreams that are extreme, not the presenter ?
 mutley 11 Feb 2008
In reply to Bobbsy:
we really do love the Fogle on this forum dont we?

i 'spose he did row across the atlantic, albeit accompanied by an olympic rower, i was impressed until a really unassuming guy i used to work with told me he had done it solo. thats kinda more impressive.

The Fogle is a tit, but a well paid one.
 richardhopton 11 Feb 2008
In reply to kk43: he was carried across the Atlantic by James Cracknell in a rowing the atlantic type race and he ran in a 150 mile sand marathon, and he is star of cash in the attic. And he's a toff
In reply to richardhopton: an extreme toff (okay yarrrr)
 sutty 11 Feb 2008
In reply to Bobbsy:

Watching Castaway, he usually got the best out of other people. Some would throw a tantrum and he would talk them round if possible, showing his skills as a negotiator. That is how he ended up doing all these shows now, if the shit hits the fan he can usually sort things out in a level headed way, that are rarely seen on the shows.
 Chris H 11 Feb 2008
In reply to sutty: "if the shit hits the fan he can usually sort things out in a level headed way"

Yes - by asking the accompanying backup team to bail them out!

I agree that he did seem alright in castaway - knobification must have taken place since. Simple format for a show though - get a load of unfit housewives / arachnophobes etc together, push them until someone collapses at which point Fogle can deliver a patronising motivational soundbite which will revive them and allow "his" team to complete the mission.
 robdan 11 Feb 2008
In reply to Chris H:
Didn't he once take public transport...?
In reply to Bobbsy: because he is in Papua New Guinea while you and I are typing
 robdan 11 Feb 2008
In reply to Fawksey:
Is because he played the biscuit game at public school with his eyes tight shut ?
 Will Hunt 11 Feb 2008
In reply to Bobbsy:

Kendogcatchy looks EXACTLY like Ben Fogle! Its striking. He told me to f*ck off when I told him. Quite right too.

;-P
lewis1973 11 Feb 2008
In reply to Fawksey: Nice one Fawksey. Talk about envious. I wonder how many of his critics could row an ocean.
 lost1977 11 Feb 2008
In reply to richardhopton:

"he was carried across the Atlantic by James Cracknell in a rowing the atlantic type race "

Didn't Cracknell decide to give up rowing after that (watching him for 30 mins on the tv is extremely challenging, stick me in a boat with him and only one of us would leave alive)
In reply to lewis1973: This lot are like domestic abuse prisoners who look down on nonces because it makes them feel better about themselves

nice ride home tonight, dry and still light though I nearly got wiped out coming off the M66, weird when your sat on the equivelant of a bar stool at 70mph
lewis1973 11 Feb 2008
In reply to lost1977: Must admit I know little about his Atlantic challenge. Is it commom knowledge then, that he didn't pull his weight?
In reply to lost1977: okay yarrrrrrrr haw haw haw
lewis1973 11 Feb 2008
In reply to Fawksey: Great to hear it. Went out for blast on the AT yesterday.
 Hay 11 Feb 2008
In reply to Bobbsy:
They spent much of their time rowing in the skud. To prevent chaffing.
Any suggestion that they bummed each other to the verge of madness is probably wide of the mark.
 Postmanpat 12 Feb 2008
In reply to lewis1973:
> (In reply to lost1977) Must admit I know little about his Atlantic challenge. Is it commom knowledge then, that he didn't pull his weight?

No,it's bollocks .They both went through bad patches.Cracknell expresses great admirarion for Fogle and visa versa.

Note.to detractors of Fogle.This is a scripted entertainment show.Are you the types who thinks Coronation Street is for real ?

richardhopton 12 Feb 2008
In reply to Postmanpat: you mean our Vera isnt really dead...... thanks the looooooord
 freerangecat 12 Feb 2008
In reply to all:

Could I point out that it is unlikely to be his fault that his parents sent him to a public school, and that this doesn't automatically make him a bad person!

Cat
kevster747 12 Feb 2008
In reply to Bobbsy:

Oh his dad is quite famous in doggy (stop sniggering at the back) circles.

Dialogues with Dogs: Why Dogs Behave the Way They Do by Bruce Fogle and Jolliffe Gray
 Dominion 12 Feb 2008
In reply to freerangecat:

Now, now.

You won't win any arguments on here by pointing out the truth in a reasonable manner...
 freerangecat 12 Feb 2008
In reply to Dominion:

Whoops, sorry.

"burn the Toff"

Any better

Cat
 tommyzero 12 Feb 2008
In reply to Dominion:

> Maybe it's the dreams that are extreme, not the presenter ?

I tend to have pretty extreme dreams about Ben Fogle.

Seriously though didn't he do that mental marathon thing in the Sahara or something? A marathon each day for 8 days or something?
 freerangecat 12 Feb 2008
In reply to tommyzero:

http://www.benfogle.com/biography/

He seems to have done a fair bit, including the Marathon des Sables, and didn't exactly go to Eton

http://www.bryanston.co.uk/welcome/welcome.html

Cat
 Duane 12 Feb 2008
Ben Fogle
Ray Mears
Bear Grylls
Who does UKC actually like that works in the media world???

Is it jealousy that makes people act this way?
SHOEGAL 12 Feb 2008
In reply to Bobbsy: Ben Fogle is an arse!
OP Bobbsy 12 Feb 2008

I'll give him credit for the Marathon des Sables and the Trans-Atlantic... in the OP I wasn't exactly dissing him, just didn't know his background.
 freerangecat 12 Feb 2008
In reply to Duane:

> Is it jealousy that makes people act this way?

They get paid to do the things that the majority of us on here would love to do all the time, even though they are, admittedly, slightly annoying characters. I'm jealous, I freely admit, and I find Extreme Dreams a bit annoying, but that doesnt mean I have to post stupid ill-informed comments against Fogle etc. They're paid to produce programs that appeal to the unfit, unadventurous, masses, so its not surprising that they seem patronising to outdoorsy people!

Cat
 freerangecat 12 Feb 2008
In reply to Bobbsy:

Took me about 30 seconds on Google!

Cat
p.s. I've never met Fogle, I justy get agry at seeing someone attacked purely, it seems, due to assumptions people make about their background!
 toad 12 Feb 2008
In reply to Bobbsy: I don't have any problems with him, other than the time he spends in Kate Humbles vicinity that she could be spending with me
OP Bobbsy 12 Feb 2008

True, maybe I should have googled... but I have a slight reluctance to google people... dunno why.
SHOEGAL 12 Feb 2008
In reply to freerangecat: My comment isn't ill informed- he is an arse
 freerangecat 12 Feb 2008
In reply to SHOEGAL:

Thats fair enough, but the majority of people's opinions of him on here are ill informed.
 Chris H 12 Feb 2008
In reply to freerangecat: Of course they are ill informed - this is UKC!
SHOEGAL 12 Feb 2008
In reply to freerangecat: I know what you mean- people will always jump on the band wagon to slate someone with an annoying voice or irritating things. Yeah some of it could be jealousy because he's been lucky enough to have the oppurtunitys to do stuff some people would love to, but i was on extreme dreams last year-and belive me-two weeks in the Arctic with Ben- he is an arse!!!
 Chris H 12 Feb 2008
In reply to Duane: Anyone who doesn`t patronise the viewers or people involved - Nick Crane for example.
 peas65 12 Feb 2008
In reply to Bobbsy:

To come at it from a different angle, he is quite cute!
SHOEGAL 12 Feb 2008
In reply to peas65: With that nose? you're kidding!
adey 12 Feb 2008
In reply to SHOEGAL: Methinks you protest too much I bet you fancied him and he turned you down
SHOEGAL 12 Feb 2008
In reply to adey: Ha ha- busted! I don't go for arogant mummies boys who can only talk about them selves
 peas65 12 Feb 2008
In reply to Bobbsy:

I dont mind his nose......

Well only a little bit
Boddingtons 12 Feb 2008
In reply to SHOEGAL:
> (In reply to freerangecat) i was on extreme dreams last year-and belive me-two weeks in the Arctic with Ben- he is an arse!!!

I remeber the programme - Which one were you?
SHOEGAL 12 Feb 2008
In reply to Boddingtons: I'm scared to say as he painted me in a bad light and a lot of it was edited badly- but i was the 'fun loving barmaid'- which i'd like to point out i'm a civil servant who was working part time in a bar to pay for a degree i'm doing part time- but that wasn't mentioned! I'm the one who got hypothermia
 peas65 12 Feb 2008
In reply to SHOEGAL:

oh god, i remember that programme.

SHOEGAL 12 Feb 2008
In reply to peas65: I'm really not how he made me out- honestly!!!
lewis1973 12 Feb 2008
In reply to SHOEGAL

How capable is he in the outdoors? On your Actic Expedition did he have any idea what he was doing, or did you use guides? When the cameras arn't rolling does he interact much with the team?
SHOEGAL 12 Feb 2008
In reply to lewis1973:
> In reply to SHOEGAL
>
>As capable as the rest of us, he was no better or worse- yeah he's physically fit but he struggled as much as the rest of us- just off camera.
We nick named him action man with no batteries. If it weren't for the guides he wouldn't have a clue. When he is 'showing' the team how to do things he had basically just been shown off camera by a guide.

He didn't interact at all, he even brought his own seperate tent(so much for only taking essentials- we kept saying a helicopter woul dbe due any minute to deliver him a Dominos pizza. It took us 26 hours to get to Spitzbergan and i think he said two words, until the cameras started rolling then he was our best friend, then as soon as the camera clicked off he didn't speak, and if he did it was me me me me me

peas65 12 Feb 2008
In reply to SHOEGAL:

You always wonder what presenters are like beehind cameras and now we know, would you do it again?
SHOEGAL 12 Feb 2008
In reply to peas65: The trip- yes absolutely without a doubt, we're actually looking into going again as I've got all the contact details for the people over there that arranged all the ice climbs and staying on the Noordenlicht and huskey sledges etc, so 100% would do the experience. Just not with the people i went with and certainly not as part of a tv show
 mutley 12 Feb 2008
In reply to Bobbsy:

after reading his bio, and checking out his gallery, i think he might have turned me

he is awesome!
 richardhopton 12 Feb 2008
In reply to Bobbsy: Okay yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar hor hor hor
 Duncan Bourne 12 Feb 2008
In reply to Bobbsy:
Funny thing. I watched his Himalayan trip one with all its "100's of miles from civilisation", "where few westerners have trod" and other "extreme" superlatives including the "impossible" helecopter landing. Funny because I have been on that exact trek and recognised many of the places they passed through. Villages and teahouses litter the route and while it is not on the most popular of trekking routes there are plenty of hardy westerners wandering about. I didn't see any helecopters while I was there but I am assured by a friend who has been there on more than one occasion that it is not unusual and that they always do a practice run before landing. I would hate to go anywhere with Ben though, he always seems to be in a rush.
 Jim Fraser 12 Feb 2008
In reply to Bobbsy:

Folk like poor Mr Fogle get away with far too much. There are two reasons for this. First there are the forelock-tugging idiots who are prepared to throw themselves at the feet of those they perceive as the upper classes. Second there are people like me who take one look at him and think 'The poor sod can't help it. He doesnt know any better.'
newby 12 Feb 2008
In reply to Jim Fraser: Did you watch it tonight? something tells me there wasn't really a far drop from that log!
In reply to Bobbsy:

Not that I want to stick up for Mr. Fogle. I've found all of extreme dream series tedious and full of hyperbole from said presenter.

But he did set a British record for East West Atlantic crossing in a 21ft rowing boat from La Gomera to Antigua. Which ain't bad in my book!

Jim Fraser 12 Feb 2008
In reply to Neil Kazimierz Sheridan:

You're right. It ain't bad. It's just that most people wish he would have another go. And another. ...
In reply to newby:

Yep, It didn't look very far down did it! And he was going on about crossing a valley!? It looked more like a ditch.

But in fairness if it is not made to look dramatic/dangerous/extreme then he is not going to be able to get it on BBC2!

newby 12 Feb 2008
In reply to Neil Kazimierz Sheridan: Well surely if it was that dangerous and it was a far drop with jagged rocks waiting for them underneath they would have had to be harnessed.Saw the preview for tomoorow- looking forward to seeing him fall on his arse- I'm suprised they're showing him falling- he messed up loads of times when we were in the Arctic but they didn't show any- was starting to think it was a clause in his contract!
In reply to newby:

I noticed some fixed ropes today on at least one of the slippy ascents. Yep, I saw that clip of him falling off. Just wondering if he will swear!
newby 12 Feb 2008
In reply to Neil Kazimierz Sheridan: Probably- 'oh golly gosh i have fallen'
Jim Nicoll 12 Feb 2008
In reply to Bobbsy:
> Watching extreme dreams at the moment, Papua New Guinea... don't know much about the presenter, why he so extreme ? whats he done ?

its not Fogle doing anything extreme - its meant to be extreme for the people the tv producers choose to go with him
Jim Nicoll 12 Feb 2008
In reply to SHOEGAL:

> He didn't interact at all, he even brought his own seperate tent

i don't blame him looking at some of the likely lot that go on these trips.

nice mountain scenery in Uganda.
Ian Black 12 Feb 2008
In reply to Bobbsy: He's an extreme Fud, and almost as irritating as HRH Mr T Wogan.
Nigels 13 Feb 2008
My problem with the program is that Ben Fogle is supposed to be the expedition leader yet he seems hell bent on selecting people for his expeditions who are almost bound to get into difficulty. Setting up to fail. If I had been selecting for these expeditions hardly any of the people would have been taken. They all seem far too fragile. But it wouldn't be TV if the expeditions went without incident. Makes you question the selection motives. In the end this portrays Mr. Fogle as a bead choice for leader. Its like watching the film K2 and hardly believing how people could make such ridiculous choices when in dangerous circumstances.
Its a shame because I think he is the only one from the Castaway program who did anything positive when it finished and for that much respect to the guy.
lewis1973 14 Feb 2008
In reply to Bobbsy: The series is amazing. Watched it tonight, Ben nearly died but for the heroic actions of the young black girl. TBH, not sure whether or not I have what it takes to complete such an epic like that. As Ben said, that trek has defeated armies.
 bouldery bits 14 Feb 2008
In reply to Duane:

Leo Houldings doing a show soon, I like him!
In reply to lewis1973:

You must be having a laugh! Nearly died? He fell off the trail and slipped down a couple of metres. Saying that I'd be stressed out about falling onto a snake!

lewis1973 14 Feb 2008
In reply to Neil Kazimierz Sheridan: Actually,if you had watched the show you would know that Ben had said there was a hundred foot drop. All I know is that the average person on here wouldn't complete that trek. Its called extreme for a reason.
Shoegal 14 Feb 2008
In reply to lewis1973: I watched that last night- it was hilarious- 'wow you saved my life, you should be really proud of yourself!. he'D slipped a couple of feet and had stopped and was completely stationary when she turned round to help- what a joke
In reply to Shoegal: It's turning into the best comedy on TV!
Shoegal 14 Feb 2008
In reply to Neil Kazimierz Sheridan: oops, just posted this to the wrong person-ah well never mind.
I watched that last night- it was hilarious- 'wow you saved my life, you should be really proud of yourself!. he'D slipped a couple of feet and had stopped and was completely stationary when she turned round to help- what a joke

hutchm 14 Feb 2008
In reply to lewis1973:
> (In reply to the colonel) All I know is that the average person on here wouldn't complete that trek. Its called extreme for a reason.

Don't be ridiculous. The bit I saw involved a couple of hours across a hot field.

It's called extreme because "Tame Dreams" doesn't quite have the same ring to it.

Neither does "As Extreme as we can manage under current BBC Risk Assessment procedures Dreams".
Shoegal 14 Feb 2008
In reply to Sammy the Shammy: you're not wrong. I was screaming at the telly last night- nearly died- in the words of Jim Royal, my arse. I can't believe they expected us to be shocked too when the tibes people turned up- as if we were gonna think for a minute that was real!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...