UKC

msr xgk vs primus omnifuel

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Undertow 11 Feb 2008
pros and cons of each please.

from what i can see mrs packs neater but id be keeping it in the pans so not much of a problem, and the omnifuel takes more fuels. looking for arguments for the msr really to balance my opinion

the omnifuel looks better on paper but id like to hear comments from people who've used one or the other or both...
 mr rob 12 Feb 2008
In reply to Undertow: one is made by a bush of efficient Swedes one is made by fat americans. the choice should be easy.

the primus has a far superior pump being metal not plastic, if you want to use the stove that should be a big point
OP Undertow 12 Feb 2008
In reply to mr rob: i imagine you can use a primus eta pot or similar with either?
 Siward 12 Feb 2008
In reply to Undertow: To put a spoke in the wheels I'd suggest looking at the Optimus Nova- well made, Swedish, hot and controllable- not yet let me down.

http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/optimus_nova_lightweight_compact_stove/?utm_sour...
OP Undertow 12 Feb 2008
In reply to Siward:
> (In reply to Undertow) To put a spoke in the wheels I'd suggest looking at the Optimus Nova- well made, Swedish, hot and controllable- not yet let me down.
>
> http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/optimus_nova_lightweight_compact_stove/?utm_sour...

have looked at that, although i do like the idea of being able to use cartridge gas with the primus
 Rob Adie 12 Feb 2008
In reply to Undertow: I used a primus for a year long trip on a variety of fuels - white gas, petrol, gas etc, so I total probably cooking on it every night for 6 months, and it never failed me once and I never had to clean it or take it apart. Ie they are awesome, my one problem is it is quite difficult to get it to simmer and it is a bit hot for frying stuff. But they are great.
In reply to Rob Adie: I've got the primus omnifuel, so far it's been spot on. I like the controllability of the flame....simmer to rocket.

I know a few people with msr and they've all had to replace their pumps at least once.

The Optimus Nova sdoes look pretty good too, but its flame is not as easily controllable.
 Wibble Wibble 12 Feb 2008
In reply to Undertow:

I used them side by side in the Arctic, and the Omni fuel is by far the better built and ran much better too. I had to strip the XKG down a couple of time to unblock it and that was using top notch white gas.

David Hooper 12 Feb 2008
In reply to Undertow:

I have had old style Omnifuel for a few years - brilliant. I like the way it takes gas canisters as well.
OP Undertow 16 Feb 2008
In reply to Undertow: went with the omnifuel in the end. After preliminary tests in the garden im pretty damn impressed.
 SteveD 16 Feb 2008
In reply to Rob Adie:
> ...Snip... they are awesome, my one problem is it is quite difficult to get it to simmer and it is a bit hot for frying stuff. But they are great.

Try moving the flame spreader down slightly so that the fuel doesn't lose contact with the hot metal when switching to simmer, (bend the arms up 1 or 2 mm, you'll need to adjust them so they grip again) I found that it helped. Also seems to be less of a problem with white gas/petrol than with gas canisters.

Steve D
 CENSORED 16 Feb 2008
In reply to Undertow: Another vote for the omnifuel, converted from MSR a couple of years ago and never looked back having been a user of Whisperlites, XGK and Dragonflys.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...