UKC

Mugged near Westway

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Gasmerchant 14 Feb 2008
Just a warning to all of you who cycle to the Westway in London. I got mugged by three yoofs last night just after 9pm on the grand union canal where it skirts the westway over-fly.

They got my daypack (thankfully no climbing gear in it at the time) and wallet/phone etc in it, as well as the bike (Specialized Hardrock, silver w SPD's). Happened suddenly and there wasn't much I could do about it once the pulled me off the bike and started punching me, and threatened to stab me (although I didn't see a knife). Nothing too serious (they punched like girls). A passing cyclist called the police who were really good and arrived in several cars within five minutes or so. They walked to the scene with me and took me around the area in the Robbery squad unmarked car to see if I could see anyone I could recognise or the bike. They took my statement and dropped me at home, where I self medicated with a large jamesons and a beer. I'm ok, but it could have been worse (I know cause I work in a hospital and have looked after loads of trauma/assault patients).

So pissed off that I could possibly climb F7a. Careful out there folks. Stick to the well lit roads around there or carry ice-axes.
 twm.bwen 14 Feb 2008
In reply to Gasmerchant: Nasty, but glad you're ok.
Rosie A 14 Feb 2008
In reply to Gasmerchant:

Sounds horrible, but good that the cyclist helped you out eh? That kind of thing restores your faith in humanity; well just a little. Hope you're on the mend.
 Tekton23 21 Feb 2008
In reply to Gasmerchant:

Sorry to hear about that, I cycle this route often, used to be every day and I know of the groups of kids that hang out around there. It is dodgy and there are frequently burnt-out motorbikes there. I have an Air-horn which sounds like a truck horn and I let that off if anyone comes too close. In roughly 5 years of cycling that route I have only ever seen a policeman there once. I have often dreamt about doing the vigilante thing with a group of like-minded people and using their chicken-shit group approach method on them and beating the living daylights out of them, branding ASBO on their foreheads before throwing them in the canal to cool off.
The whole area around the westway is dodgy, a colleague I work with said two weeks ago the entire football team had everything stolen as the theives had pre-cut a hole in the wire fence onto the pitch and they lost wedding rings, phones, wallets etc.
Thankfully the climbing wall itself is such a friendly haven in the middle of all this!
T23
 Tekton23 21 Feb 2008
In reply to Tekton23:
Ps....if anyone is interested in the vigilante approach, I say we take them by storm, abseil off the westway and cut them off- via the canal; before ending their genetic line.
T23
 broccoligirl 21 Feb 2008
In reply to Gasmerchant:

Oh dude Im sorry to hear that! I walk there a lot on my own to and from the wall. Glad you are ok.
 Mita 21 Feb 2008
In reply to Gasmerchant: I asked for partners a while back and was given an invite to Westway, not so sure an Asian female on her own would do well knowing now what I didn't then.... Glad you are ok, if a little shaken by the event....
 Tekton23 21 Feb 2008
In reply to Mita:

Hi,
Ignore my silly rant!!, the Westway trust is one of the best things to happen to that area in ages. This incident happened nearer to the canal which is a fair way (a mile or so) from the climbing wall. With all the activity going on there the area has improved massively and is MUCH safer, the most important thing is that there are so many people coming and going to play sports, so the routes around it to the buses and tube etc are busy and safe. Going further afield after dark you do need to be a bit more careful.
T23
RobLovatt 25 Feb 2008
In reply to Gasmerchant:

I read a notice in Mile end at the weekend saying someone was attacked leaving the centre. I reckon you're better of being on a bike at least you have a chance of escaping the chavs.
 Cú Chullain 25 Feb 2008
In reply to Gasmerchant:

Glad you are ok(ish). Know the area you describe well and have been down there many a time on my bike (which got nicked a few months ago), always tend to up my speed when down there. Hopefully the little f*ckers will choke on their Sunny D
 Jenn 25 Feb 2008
In reply to Gasmerchant:

Sorry to hear. I used to run that on the canal in that area often - not anymore I always thought it was a bit rough, but then again, where isn't?
 RocknRoll 25 Feb 2008
In reply to Gasmerchant:

I cycle on the canal every time I go to Westway, I get on west at Sudbury and get off at Sainsburys near westway, its unlit and intimidating and I always thought there was a risk. Sorry to hear about your material losses. Bummer.
Not Remotely Foz 25 Feb 2008
In reply to Gasmerchant:

My bike was stolen, having been fairly securely locked up, right outside the place in broad daylight, about 2004 I think.

Studied indifference from staff, confirming my honest opinion that it is easily the least pleasant wall I have ever encountered. And that's speaking as a confirmed wall-sceptic.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...