UKC

hackney cab to moscow and uulan batur - advice?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dom Whillans 19 Feb 2008
have been part of several drunken converstaions recently that are leading to the formation of a plan... buying a second hand black cab in the UK, driving it out to moscow, selling it, getting on the trans-siberian train to uulan batur, then flying back to the UK.
Anyone done anything similar or got any kind of experience dsriving through russia and eastern europe and / or flogging cars when you get there?
Removed User 19 Feb 2008
In reply to Dom Whillans:

Seems like a wheeze. Can't be too hard driving to Moscow. Pretty much civilised here to there.

Taking a cab to Uulan Batur....now theres a trip....
 Nic 19 Feb 2008

That's sarf of the river guv, yer carn't go there?!
 Blue Straggler 19 Feb 2008

Ah I think one of my back issues of Practical Classics might describe just such a journey! If not that, then some vaguely similar ones. I'll have a peep over the next week. Remind me.
 beckycoles 19 Feb 2008

Speak good Russian. Only country in the world I've been to where you won't get anywhere without speaking the lingo.
OP Dom Whillans 19 Feb 2008
In reply to Dom Whillans: excellent stuff all. i'll wake this thread in a week for more advice!
 Blue Straggler 21 Feb 2008

Bah, I am sure I've unearthed all my back issues, nothing about a Hackney cab. I wonder if it was featured in an issue I saw in WH Smith. I buy old issues cheap from a market stall that sells magazines that are a few months old, see. I have an image in my head of a Practical Classics cover inset of a Hackney cab, I think actually they were travelling to Vladivostok, which is something of a greater challenge I imagine!
If it's any use I can photocopy articles on a UK-to-Prague Skoda convoy, and driving two Trabants across the Sahara?
 dannym2710 21 Feb 2008
In reply to Dom Whillans: was a write up in the landy magazine not so long ago about a trip to russia, apparently the police will take any oppurtunity to pull you and all are bent, so bribe money is a must.alternatively have you not thought about doing the mongol rally?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...