UKC

Pete Robins photo - photoshop techniques

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jack Geldard 26 Feb 2008
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 26 Feb 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Assistant Editor:

If you put the original on, maybe downsized a bit, a few of us might have a play with it.

Chris
 Chris F 26 Feb 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Assistant Editor: I (personally) think the original version is fine, could do with a slight upping of contrast and saturation. Definitely do away with the added background blur anyway. What ISO were you shooting at?
In reply to Chris F:

Tend to agree, original looks not too shoddy!

Chris
 Adam Long 26 Feb 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Assistant Editor:

Jack, having a quick play with that original it looks to me that the background is closer to being in focus than the arete. If that's the case its always going to be a battle to make it appear the opposite!
Adding lens blur [i]convincingly[/i] is very difficult, especially when the background isn't all equally distant - you need to apply a graduated mask so the blur is applied more heavily at the top than the bottom.

Much prefer to use a bigger film/ sensor format in the first place!
Simon Panton not logged in 26 Feb 2008
In reply to Chris Craggs: I like the lighter one best; I find too much jiggery pokery a bit of a turn off, unless it is done in subtle fashion (i.e. you can't really tell).

Jack's pic shows the route well, but Gareth Aston got some pics side on which show the moves in a more intimate way:

http://www.groundupclimbing.com/newsitem.asp?nsid=205

Either way its a very photogenic route and a definite candidate for a front cover of the new Slate guide - perhaps with an early morning sun shot (if Pete will go back on it?)
In reply to Simon Panton not logged in:

Yes I preferred the lightened one too - as you say, subtly is the key - I was just messing.

Chris

Actually b & w may be the way to go with so little contrast.
 Chris F 26 Feb 2008
In reply to Chris Craggs: of all of them I reckon the Darker Background works the best. just a pity about that one diamond shaped spot on the rock behind being overexposed.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...