UKC

NEWS: Katy Whittaker - Grit E7!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jack Geldard 03 Mar 2008
Dave Brown of Hot Aches Productions gives us the latest low-down from team Whittaker...

The route hungry Whittakers were back in the Peak after a trip to Spanish limestone and were waiting for good weather to get onto their latest projects.

The last time we filmed Katy Whittaker she succeeded on her hardest trad route ever, flashing E6. Now she had her sights set on climbing her first E7, a Johnny Dawes route called Kaluza Klein at Robin Hood's Stride.

Next up was Pete, who was equally matter of fact the ascent ahead of him. After lots of brushing he headed off and totally cruised Captain Calamity. 'Hard E7' (E7 6c) was the verdict. Another impressive first ascent from the the very keen youth.

Read More: http://www.ukclimbing.com/news
 Boy Global Crag Moderator 04 Mar 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Assistant Editor:
Typically fine effort from the Whittakers.

Looking at the pics on the Hot Aches site and given that "the arĂȘte to the right of Kaluza" has already been climbed by Ben Bransby, does Captain Calamity not climb the same arete as Kaluza but on the other side??
 Niall Grimes 04 Mar 2008
In reply to Boy: Yes, that's exactly what it does. It starts up Kaluza to the gear the swings round to do as you say Boy.
Anonymous 04 Mar 2008

As Grimer has noted on occasion, Kaluza Klein is E6.
 Tyler 04 Mar 2008
In reply to Anonymous:

Grimer is very tall though.

Well done Pete and Katy! Keep up the good work!
 Offwidth 04 Mar 2008
In reply to Anonymous:

I thought he noted it was E6 if you are tall but I'm sure he can speak for himself. Well done Katy.
 Will Hunt 04 Mar 2008

Could this be a family pair to match the huberbaum?
 Adam Long 04 Mar 2008
In reply to Boy:

Boy, there is also a blunt rib twixt Bransby's Prune and Kaluza. This remains the big challenge on this block. Hadn't noticed the potential for Kaluza on the right before, will have to check it out. I wonder if he started on the right, on moved round at the break?

Fine effort by Katy. Kaluza is definitely E7 for someone of her height. It only really gets towards E6 territory for those of 6 foot or taller.
 Niall Grimes 04 Mar 2008
In reply to Adam L: As I said, Adam, it goes to the break then swings round, and finishes trending slightly right.

And yes, being nine feet tall, as I am, does knock grades off. I can reach Fern Hill standing in the break.

KK still gets E7 for the normal or subnormal.
 Simon 04 Mar 2008
In reply to Niall Grimes:
> (In reply to Adam L) As I said, Adam, it goes to the break then swings round, and finishes trending slightly right.
>
>

There's some good piccy's on't Hotaches t'interweb site - link above -showing the line.

Good effort yooths

Si
 Adam Lincoln 04 Mar 2008
In reply to Anonymous:
> (In reply to Jack Geldard - Assistant Editor)
>
> As Grimer has noted on occasion, Kaluza Klein is E6.

Why don't you post under your name?

the baron 05 Mar 2008
I heard Seb did it on the right back in the day - better sequence for him or something.
In reply to Jack Geldard - Assistant Editor: Very confuddled when reading this. Thought Pete was climbing something and suddenly Katie is nearly falling off! No wonder their mum didn't want to belay!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...